Esperance Zoe.

Renault EV Interest Group
wazoeguy94
Noobie

Esperance Zoe.

Post by wazoeguy94 »

Hi there guys,
As you may all know, I have purchased the Esperance Zoe.
It already has issues. It wouldn't charge at Joondalup Shopping centre on Both chargers. Thankfully it charged at city of Wanneroo. I used to be able to charge at Alkimos but the charger is down over there nowadays (coincidence?)
Now ALL the joondalup chargers are down after I attempted to charge on these fully functioning chargers.
I know the Zoe is good at finding faulty ground connections I charge station but it is quiet a big coincidence.
Does anyone know if I was sold a Lemon?
I know it had to be towed back from Esperance for similar issue but Renault Melville never actually fixed the issue (called them to ask what had been fixed but they said nothing was done)
jonescg

Re: Esperance Zoe.

Post by jonescg »

Hi WA Zoe Guy (hopefully we'll learn your name soon!) - I drove that car to Esperance and experienced the difficulties.
It appeared to me that the car was fine for daily use, but after driving 200 km and charging it at 22 kW, it wasn't happy. It only started to charge after things had cooled down.
Renault never bothered inspecting the issue because by the time it had cooled down, it could be charged no trouble on a 3 or 7 kW supply. The real test would have been driving to Mandurah and back, then plugging into a known-good charger to see if it faults.
Have you got a 7 kW charger installed at home? It seems to work more efficiently at 7 kW than at 2 kW.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
wazoeguy94
Noobie

Post by wazoeguy94 »

So basically a Lemon? No I have no chargers at the moment hence why I need 22kw. And also will need 22kw as I drive 400km a day sometimes. My name is Boris by the way :)
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hi Boris, @antiscab also has a Zoe but it's not had any trouble that we're aware of.
22 kW onboard charging is pretty handy. You can try one of the Fast AC chargers on the RAC network. If that charges OK, go for a long drive and come back and try it again to see if it faults.
Hopefully it's not a heat issue...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
wazoeguy94
Noobie

Post by wazoeguy94 »

Mmmm thats a lot of time to waste though. I just wanted to know if it was a confirmed Lemon. I don't want to end up with a car that has issue past its warranty period. I am regretting getting this car very bad now.
spod
Noobie

Post by spod »

If it's under warranty then Renault has to fix it, just tell them you want it fixed or you will let Fair Trading deal with them, that usually makes things happen. There have been a great many Zoe's sold in Europe so I expect there isn't a common charging fault or we would have heard about it, so you may just have a faulty module in there, it shouldn't be that hard for them to fix if they just swap out the electronics.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Hi Boris,
You can look at it as a curse or a blessing. As spod said, we are well protected in Australia. Either they fix it, or have to give you full money back under the "lemon" law.
Best case scenario, they have no idea what is wrong with it and will replace everything. Some have had there full main drive battery replaced.
Be firm, don't give up on that Zoe or the EV way of life, and keep us posted.
Patrick
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - 124Wh/km from new
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf - Bought in Jan 2021 with 45'000km
doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy »

Hi Boris,
Definitely insist that it is fixed under warranty. Given the problem was well documented and publicised by Chris on his long test drive, it is clear that there is a long term issue which needs fixing, is still there and has not been fixed. I've done the same sort of trip/charging that did not work for Chris with no problems. Other Zoes the same. So definite problem and needs some dedicated attention. Renault back office technical people will provide support to the dealer. Their next line of escalation (amazingly) is Renault Sth Korea. If that fails, they talk to France.

When Chris had the original problem, I searched a number of French (I speak French) and UK forums and did not find any evidence of the same problem. So it is not common.

Make sure to do as much testing and evidence gathering as you can then put it down in writing and present to the dealer. It is particularly important to describe a sequence of events which will cause the problem and allow the dealer to observe it.

When I had charging problems earlier this year (charging failed completely), this worked 'though it took a while. In my case, the final bill from the dealer to Renault for the warranty repair was around $11,000. The Australian Renault Service Manager and the Renault Australia Quality manager both got involved.

They provided me a car whenever I needed it (at their cost).

Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017