New Tyres

Renault EV Interest Group
bladecar

Re: New Tyres

Post by bladecar » Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:21

Yes, well, finally, this is how I did tyres for 10 years (rotation, not wheel alignments).

The easiest decision to make was where the rear tyres had even wear but the fronts had been punished around corners or were over or under inflated.
Then it was front to rear on the same sides.

If the fronts were particularly worn and one was getting a little doubtful, rears would go to front and the doubtful front would go to the spare with the spare moving to rear. More often than not, the spare had not been used.

In my day, maybe it was just me but I have never rotated tyres diagonally. Maybe it was just the whatever you first thought was right no matter the truth is what you stuck by :)

Of course, the above is where the owner of the car has not decided or been asked to decide on which tyres to replace.

As an aside, I think it is possible to get slightly unusual wear according to the road surface shape you typically drive. This is more common on motorcycles where the right side of the tyre wears more than the left because the road falls away to the left. Maybe truck deformation of the road on a common route could affect a tyres shape a little (just an idea).

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 30 Aug 2019, 16:15

well, I won't be able to find out if rotating the tyres and upping the pressure makes them last longer or not.
I had to replace them today as a result of destroying 2 of them with a big box kerb.
Given tyre 3 was bald on the outside, I made the call to replace all 4 ($600) and keep the best one of the of the old set as a spare.
40'980km on the clock.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Fri, 30 Aug 2019, 17:07

Hi Matt, you are sure knocking up the kilometres. Sad about killing the tyres.

What is your SOH now?

Cheers,
Dave