First Zoe Service!

Renault EV Interest Group
TomZoe
Groupie

First Zoe Service!

Post by TomZoe » Thu, 28 Feb 2019, 09:32

Hi All,

My Zoe is booked into Renault Essendon for its first service on 13 March 2019 - about a week over but I'm away next week.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the servicing - should I get things like wiper blades replaced?

I think only thing the dealer will replace is the air con cabin air filter. Even coolant I don't think is changed until 2nd service. I think also small 12v battery is replaced every 3 years.

cheers,
Tom

LouB
Groupie

Re: First Zoe Service!

Post by LouB » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 12:14

Hi Tom,
first service for our Zoe is still 7 months off, but I am very interested to know what is involved and how much it is likely to cost. One reason for getting an EV is that it should require much reduced service and maintenance compared with an ICE vehicle with all those thousands of moving parts. Have you had any problems in your first year, or has it been trouble free? So far we like the Zoe a lot, my wife, who drives it the most, says it's the best car she has ever had..

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 13:23

Hi Lou, No issues at all so far. The orange service light has come on and the car gives you about 30 days notice to book. I will let you know how the service experience goes. T

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 21:20

I'm surprised for the first few you don't just do the accelerator sequence to reset the service counter. It's literally all inspection items for the first few
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Fri, 22 Mar 2019, 11:34

Just wanting to report back - I still haven't had the first service.

I made the appointment with Essendon Renault 2 months out and asked to make sure that would have all the things needed. Yes, I was assured.

I rang 3 weeks out just to change the date by a few days - again checked that they would have the parts needed.

I called them one week out just to confirm address - Essendon Renault have 2 sites that can service EVs - North Melbourne and Moonee Ponds. Again asked whether they had everything. Was assured yes all parts needed will be there.

I received a call day before the service to say they didn't have a Pollen filter and it would have to come from Sydney so would be delayed but they would call me back when they got it.

Not that I need apologies but none was given. I also asked whether they got customer feedback after a service is completed - the man said excitedly yes that I'd receive an email. I didn't take the conversation any further.

Then called 2 days later to check for a new date and was told that actually the Pollen Filter would have to come from France and they would call me.

Anyway, they called me back yesterday to say Pollen filter was in and we have rescheduled for April. I then asked about other items such as the radiator coolant. The man said - oh its an electric car so no radiator. I said I'm pretty sure I thought I saw one under the bonnet but perhaps I was mistaken.

He then looked up service schedule and (again no apology or anything) said - oh yes - there is a radiator and its every 3 years for coolant change - that's $96. 12v battery he told me has to be changed every 24 months/2years and that is $295.

Service he tells me will cost $241 - the pollen filter is included and they will change this every year. The other things will simply be added in years to come and the price will be the $241 plus whatever else they are doing.

All in all I can't say I'm blown away with Essendon Renault's service department especially after confirming numerous times that they'd have all parts.

I did tell him I would like the to tell me the State of Health of Battery after the service which he said he would write down for me as there diagnostic machine doesn't do printouts which I found odd!

Will report back post the actual service.

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 06:22

Being serviced today at this very moment! They are rotating a wheel as tyre worn - this most likely to no balancing or alignment etc done pre delivery which is a common omission in Australia with many brands.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 07:09

Were the front tyres wearing on the outer edges?
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 09:33

Yes - front wheel (passenger side from memory) was wearing on outer edge.

They simply moved this to the back.

My view is that because no alignment/balancing etc is done before delivery these things happen.

Anyway - uneventful first service - possibly first Zoe service in Australia.

I did get them to change both key batteries and this made the service come to $271.38 so added about $30. Oddly there is a $10 oil disposal fee on the bill but it seems within the fixed fee so I didn't complain.

They said they changed the cabin air filter and otherwise did a visual check of car - ie - struts, undercarriage, brake pad and rotor thickness etc.

I spoke to chief mechanic - they were excited and he hooked up computer as I asked him for SOH (State of Health of Battery) - he didn't know what this meant and the computer (little lap top thing) couldn't find it either.

They did charge the car up so I could return to Bendigo.

One of the sales guys was a bit interested and asked about range.

But - there's not the buzz or excitement you get when you visit a Telsa showroom!

Next year they will replace the 12v battery which is nearly $300 on top of the service as well as the pollen filter which they include in every service.

I did get an urgent SMS later that day from Renault to do a Nav update which involves downloading and then inserting a USB stick into car.

Did anyone else get this SMS?

Any questions on my service experience?

I will probably take car to Bob Jane for alignment and perhaps replace the worn one. Any views - we aren't a really talkative bunch!
Last edited by TomZoe on Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 14:13

Outter front tyre wear is apparently common with the zoe, based on overseas experience. I'm trying out running 44psi all round, to see if I can move the wear a bit more central.

Rotating the tyres does seem to be a good idea
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 08:04

I'll let you know when I get to Bob Jane T mart at the end of this month what they say/suggest.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 16:06

Thanks for the service update.

My SOH was 101% when I got the car about 9 months ago and now it is 100%. If you have CanZE, you can easily get it yourself. The advantage of the service people getting it is that hopefully then you will have an official hard copy record. A bit puzzling they were vague about it- probably still learning.

I did not get the Nav update. But I have done several updates in the past 8 months- last about 3 months ago.

Interesting about the 12V battery. I thought that was a 3 year job? When they do mine, I'm going to request the old one back as it is probably an AGM and probably will still have a lot of life left (judging from overseas experience).

Regds,
Dave

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 17:17

Re 12v battery, you could just not replace it until it actually dies
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 03:56

I think that if they replace your 12V battery within 3 years then it would be covered by warranty?
Cheers,
Dave

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 13:39

I suspect the 12v battery is only 12months or 24 months
Matt
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 07 Apr 2019, 13:22

antiscab wrote:
Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 17:17
Re 12v battery, you could just not replace it until it actually dies
There are all sorts of theories on the i-miev forums about tired, due for replacement batteries contributing to the charger failures. Not sure I accept it, but keeping a fresh 12v battery is not too expensive and might not be a bad idea just in case. Especially if the manufacturer advise it.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 07:37

Hi,
With my imiev, I've taken up the advice I see here and go to less than 10 km range once a month and then fully charge the car so that the drive batteries will balance (right?). Less than 10 km indicated range is when the fuel indicator and the battery indicator are both flashing.
Because I generally don't fully charge the car in any one month, and possibly because the imiev has bright led running lights on at all times, I've taken to fitting a trickle charger, the same trickle charger that I've fitted to my motorcycles, and the more days there are between car charges (as I drive the car locally and short distance), the more likely I am to connect the trickle charger and charge the 12V battery.
With the motorcycles, some of which use power in small amounts , even when not being used, I have had to replace the motorcycle battery after around 2 years.
I've started to think that the manufacturers have got it worked out, and the current life of a 12V battery is intended to be 2 years.
The thing that's going to stop my imiev, aside from a general failure, will be low 12V charge. The way I'm looking at it, the drive battery will sit for many days at its current charge, between empty and full without a problem, but the 12V battery is gradually losing its limited charge over those days, where it would normally only be charged when the main battery is charged.
This is all a pain and I wish there was a 12V charging point on the car, instead of having to fit the trickle charger connectors to the 12V, as I did.
My next step over time will be to fit a Yuasa battery which for no reason at all I consider to be a higher quality battery and not use the batteries that they sell us which are cheaper for a short time.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 10:28

I suspect you are overthinking it, just plug in the charger for the main battery and that will charge the 12v as well. Unless you are going to leave it unused a long time in hot conditions I don't think you need to avoid fully charging. The draining to 2 bars occasionally is just to help the range gauge calibration, its the fully charging that does the cell balancing.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 08 Apr 2019, 17:00

I understand from UK forums that you only have trouble with the 12v battery if the are lots of very short trips. It is charged from the DC:DC converter 400 -> 12v. Also in the UK I understand it is under warranty for at least 2yrs which is similar to the normal warranty on lead acid batteries.
Cheers,
Dave

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 09:38

Mike Duffy said: "There are all sorts of theories on the i-miev forums about tired, due for replacement batteries contributing to the charger failures. Not sure I accept it, but keeping a fresh 12v battery is not too expensive and might not be a bad idea just in case."

doggy said: "I understand from UK forums that you only have trouble with the 12v battery if the are lots of very short trips. It is charged from the DC:DC converter 400 -> 12v"

I said: I make mostly short trips and have been charging between quarter charged and a bit over 3/4 charged every few days, then fully charging from less than 10km range ONCE A MONTH (which is where both icons on the fuel gauge flash), to take advantage of the balancing of the batteries as has been mentioned on this forum.

I have not followed the imiev sites but I do remember that I had a low 12V battery warning light around the time my car developed the fault warning and had to have the BMS replaced.

This is an inherent fault with current EV's in that the 12V battery is not reported on to the driver regarding its condition since the inability to let the main battery control the driveability of the car means the 12V battery is the master of the car. Filched 12V battery means Filched EV.

So, when over-thinking about it, I think an EV should have a DC:DC system which always matches the 12V energy demand and will report on a 12V battery which is losing the battle.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 11:19

A number of us have CanZE. It has a special section for the 12V battery showing volts, amps, graph, voltage under load (which is a good health indicator), recommendations on replacement et al.
Regards,
Dave

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 16:08

My two Priuses both showed all sorts of strange codes that ended up being the fault of the 12v battery. I replaced both of them with well used LFP 4 cell batteries and they haven't had a problem since. Ask around for some exhausted 40Ah EV cells and give them some gentle reconditioning charging and they come back to life well enough for this type of application. Solved the dead EV caused by the failed lead acid battery.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 16:28

The Zoe firmware does report when it believes the battery needs replacement. Looking at European and UK forums I really do not think there is a12v battery problem and the only arguments seem to be about replacement of batteries based on service intervals and battery replacement just before and just after warranty expiry. I won't be agreeing to our battery being replaced unless I believe there is a problem with it and even then would likely change it myself. I am led to believe that this will not invalidate the warranty.
Regards,
Dave

TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe » Mon, 15 Apr 2019, 13:53

I live in Bendigo so a long way from the EV service dealer (Essendon / Moonee Ponds) so I will follow service schedule.

Local Renault dealer in Bendigo not interested in EVs - interestingly local dealer is colocated with Bendigo Mitsubishi.

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 09:02

Tom - thanks for all the info on your first Zoe service. Really shows that you have to be prepared to prompt the service people to do all that is required. Hopefully, as EVs become common, they will gain more expertise and streamline procedures.

Our Zoe has been problem-free since purchase. Except, that is, for the flat tyre incident I reported previously. That may have been almost a good thing because it resulted in a 4 wheel balance and alignement.

Thanks too for mentioning the need for NAV and display update. To date, I have not received any mesasage from Renault that the system required an update. Some days ago the clock function stopped working, but we thought it had glitched with the end of daylight saving. I have been too busy/lazy to look into it, but will now swat up on downloading and installing updates.

The information from yourself and Dave and Matthew and others on this forum has been invaluable.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 09:21

Hi Lou, interesting you too did not get an update notification.
I wonder if it is because the dealer sold out to another dealer (in my case)?
I did ask Renault Service Australia but have as yet not received any response.
Certainly since the update, the clock came back as did traffic delays and traffic rerouting which was invaluable in Sydney Easter traffic.
Regards,
Dave