Zoe servicing in Sydney

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy

Zoe servicing in Sydney

Post by doggy »

Our Zoe, purchased in 2018 (2017 model) has just had its annual service. It is great there is a new service possibility for Zoes (and Kangoos) in Sydney.

Previously, we had our services done at Col Crawford at Collaroy on the Northern Beaches. Crawfords made a conscious effort to focus on EVs a few years back and as well as Renault EVs also service Hyundai (and possibly other EVs). The do an even broader range of ICE vehicles.

They are a very big service outlet and we have been generally happy with them.

However, over 6 months ago their head mechanic Andy and another mechanic Luke, both well trained in Renault EVs, left and formed their own business called C&C Motorworks. They are also in Collaroy and very accessible.

I had always been happy with Andy and found him a real straight-shooter who never used "mumbo jumbo" and honestly told things as they were. So, when another Zoe owner reported good things about the new organisation, I was keen to give them a go. Our Zoe is still under warranty but that is not an issue. They have all the appropriate scantools and workshop manuals. Plus plenty of Renault and Zoe experience.

So how did it go? Great! Cost was lower. I asked them to do some specific things such as dry lube all hinges, latches and seat slides and not to do others (such as checking 12V because I replaced the battery with an AGM earlier this year). They did everything I asked, plus "normal" things and did not do stuff that I didn't want. Being a small (but more than adequate) workshop, we were able to book in for a specific time and then go for a walk and coffee and everything was finished in less than 90mins. We did not expect this huge benefit. At Crawfords, due to the large number of bookings, we had to go at the start of the day and pick up at the end. So, this avoided a trip home plus return for us and also meant that we needn't have taken our second EV for ferry duties. We'll know next year.

So I am delighted to recommend C&C Motorworks. I have no vested or other interest in them so consider myself totally unbiased. However, I do like plain speaking, honesty and a really professional job. I think they have three mechanics (maybe more). Access is good and uncluttered.

Here are their details:

C&C Motorworks
Unit 1 - 111 Old Pittwater Road
Brookvale New South Wales 2100

Phone: (02) 8970 2749
Email: service@ccmotorworks.com.au

Cheers,
David Kerr
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.3kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 300L
AEVA and TOCA member
LouB
Groupie

Re: Zoe servicing in Sydney

Post by LouB »

That's actually very good news. I was wondering how long it would take before independent servicing of EVs (that is: independent of the manufacturers centres) became available. Our Renault Zoe is due its 4th annual service in late September and looks likely to be needing new rear brake linings. I spoke with the guys that service our remaining ICE vehicle but they are leery about working on an EV. Its a droll thing really, as I get tyres and wheel alignments on the Zoe done at local Jax Tyres with no problem. Maybe I should also ask them about the brakes.
I really can't see, once warranty period is over, why any good mechanic should not undertake mechanical repairs to wheels, brakes steering aircon etc.

Because of distances we have had our Zoe serviced at Peter Warren (Warwick Farm). Can't say anything really negative about them except that I would prefer someone closer and cheaper.

In the good old days I used to do all vehicle servicing myself. Once cars went electronic things got too complicated and regulation bound. The other day I went online to see if I could source suitable front brake pads and rear brake shoes/linings for the Zoe but most information was from overseas and there was some confusion as to which part numbers were the correct ones for our model:

(RENAULT ZOE ZEN, INTENS Auto 06/2016~10/2020 4 Door Hatchback FWD ELECTRIC 0.0 litre, R90 {65kW – 41kWh}).

I would be grateful to anyone who can provide this information.

Cheers,
Lou
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Can't help immediately with the rears as there doesn't appear to be a listing, but the fronts are as follows
16601091306235271853594588234066.jpg
16601091306235271853594588234066.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 17 times
Looks like you have to look for the brand on the caliper to work out which ones you need.
doggy

Post by doggy »

Amazing you need to replace pads and linings. The mechanic reckons ours will do well over 100K.
Have you been doing big kms or lots of very heavy braking?

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

Hi Dave,
Yes it surprised me too, but at our last annual service I was told that new rear linings would be soon needed. The car has only done some 25,000 k, though a lot of it is in hilly terrain where we live. Neither of us rides the brake nor do we practice screeching stops. I have lately noticed an increased sluggishness to come to full stop so something is not right. As I mentioned to Brendon I will try removing wheels and hubs and see if it is really linings wear or stuck automatic adjusters.

And I thought that these electrics were simply foolproof, drive and go machines! ...He...He.

Cheers
Lou
doggy

Post by doggy »

We recently had our 4yr service and have also done 25,000. They said there was zero wear on front and rear brakes. That's the new service guy with the full Renault Zoe training.

Col Crawfords last year reported the same (low wear on all brakes).

We also do plenty of hills but I suppose it depends upon whether or not you reach the 43kilowatt regen limit downhill and gently braking. Worth a check sometime while monitoring the regen as you come down a typical hill. Perhaps they are really steep and therefor your "real" brakes are being used a lot? The transition on Zoe from regen to real brakes seems to be so gentle I cannot feel it through the pedal. I think you can use CanZE in brake record mode and it will give graphs of actual brake usage on a drive. But I have not actually tried it other than once when we got the car.

Our Tesla has huge regen (around 100kW or more) and we almost never touch brakes on that. It is true one pedal driving (went from sea level Sydney to Canbetta, around town and return about 800km and only touched the brake pedal twice! Unlike the Zoe, the brake pedal is only the friction brakes whereas Zoe does regen and then blends to friction.
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB »

Hi Brendon,
Thanks for the info. I thought I had replied before,but when I looked through the thread I couldn't find my post. I must have pressed the wrong key, or something. All I had to say was that I was considering removing wheel and hub to see the brand and parts number on the brake shoes but because my wife drives the Zoe almost every day it is hard to find a suitable time. Alternatively I could ask the mechanic to give me back the old parts at the next service.

Cheers
Lou