12v Battery when to replace

Renault EV Interest Group
TomZoe
Groupie

12v Battery when to replace

Post by TomZoe »

Hi All,

Renault and certainly UK Zoe owners say that replacing the 12v battery ever 3 years is a must to ensure that car never stops.

I've found this one also that I think is very close to original:

https://www.yuasabatteries.com.au/resou ... 20mf/36323

What do others think?

Another question - it says almost everywhere never to hook up a 12v battery charger to Zoe's battery.

What do others think - I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 and I'd love to hook it up and run through the reconditioning cycle but I'm scared it might blow up Zoe.

Also - getting under that giant red plate covering the +ve terminal looks like a bit of a nightmare!
T1 Terry

Re: 12v Battery when to replace

Post by T1 Terry »

Disconnect the terminals if you plan to use a pulse regeneration regime to clean the scale from the plates, electronics don't like the high voltage pulses a whole lot.
I build my 12v batteries out of 1P4S tired LFP cells, they last a lot longer than the lead acid ones, even when they are passed their EV use.
I made a great 24v battery from 8 modules out of an old Prius traction battery, 2P4S, the cranking speed for the 4 cyl diesel is much quicker, even when cold, and it recharges very quickly.
A great use for recycling poor performing EV battery packs

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
doggy

Post by doggy »

That Yuasa battery certainly has compatible measurements so as long as the mounting and terminals are the same it will presumably be okay.
My battery is over 3yrs now and still okay according to CanZE (which looks at voltage under load, charging, internal resistance). When I replace it, I am going to do so with an AGM battery rather than a cranking battery. Several people in the UK have done this and all still okay 30months down the track. AGMs do not like it too hot so I would not do this in an ICE car. However, after many years experience putting AGMs into boats and other systems I think it would be a good long term solution for an EV and from the car's load profile should have a somewhat longer life. The 12V charge profile of the Zoe also looks good for an AGM. I suspect Renault does not fit them in order to minimise upfront selling cost.
Regds,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
11kWHr LiFePO4 battery with 5kW inverter
5kWHr LiFePO4 battery running all computers. comms, CCTV
4.3kW AC Enphase solar system
1kW DC solar system
16 evac tube HWS with 300L
AEVA and TOCA member
TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe »

Thanks Dave

I might research AGM as my new charger has a mode for AGM batteries!
lobster
Groupie

Post by lobster »

After using a digital voltmeter to monitor the voltages on car batteries for many years, I now have 5 Matson Bluetooth Battery Monitors on various 12 Volt battery systems.
Four of these modules can be used to monitor a 48 volt battery system too.
The modules can store up to 30 days of data, quickly download from up to 4 devices and display daily graphs on your mobile phone.

Currently on sale.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/mat ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheers, Steve
doggy

Post by doggy »

Hi TomZoe, did you replace your battery? Did you go with that DIN44 one or did you find another?

Any luck finding an AGM (such as Yuasa 9012 in the UK)?
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe »

Hi Doggy,

No I replaced 1 April 2020 - 24 months after buying car - this was second and last service at Renault dealership as I have moved to Darwin and no Renault dealer here (and if they was they wouldn't touch a Zoe). Renault Essendon just shoved in whatever - I can check later!

Non EV-dealerships are terrified of opening a Zoe bonnet!

I have found a young VW Germany trained mechanic who has his own workshop in Darwin and he did the 2021 Service - I procured the cabin air filter for him.

I won't change the battery until 36 months after 2020 so 2023 (next year).

I'm having trouble finding tyres though - front are worn on sides as seems to happen once every 1-2 years.

At this stage will be moving to Conti 5 (Continentals) at end Jan 2022 and can get 4 as no one can get Michellin EVs - there is one is a warehouse in Melboure however I need 2 or 4.

How have others gone with tyres (sorry if off topic...)?

regards,
Tom
TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe »

It was a ACDelco Premium S55066 415CCA

fitted April 2020 and no issues
doggy

Post by doggy »

Thanks re battery info. Mine is 3.5yrs and perfectly okay still.

My tyres are okay at 20K without very much wear. Try running yours at 45psi. Sounds like the alignment might be off?

A friend replaced recently at (I think) 36K (with Michelins similar to before but higher speed rating- all that was available).

There is a Varta C22 Silver AGM which would fit perfectly and match the electrical characteristics but cannot yet find in Australia nor can I find similar Yuasa BX9012 AGM.

They are about as common as RAT tests!

Cheers,
Dave
Renault Zoe ZE40, 2017
Tesla Model 3LR, 2021
1kW DC solar system
AEVA and TOCA member
TomZoe
Groupie

Post by TomZoe »

I bought 6 RATs (3 packs of 2) today. The horrible woman at discount chemist warehouse (or whatever that chain is called) would only sell one twin pack per person so I took 2 kids back with me for more!