NSW Zoes please note

Renault EV Interest Group
doggy
Groupie

NSW Zoes please note

Post by doggy » Wed, 12 Jun 2019, 12:10

Another member drew my attention to the fact that we should be getting reduced registration rates for Zoes in NSW.

The relevant part of their web site is here:

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regist ... index.html

As well as "Renault" Kangoo being misspelled ("Renalt"), they have left off the Zoe!

That site also references vehicles on the Federal Green Vehicle Guide. There you can note that Zoe is #3 in Australia and Kangoo #5.

https://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/

So, we should be getting an automatic discount on our Registration, but as Zoe has been omitted, we appear not to be getting the discount.

So I recommend all affected NSW owners write to the RMS and politely ask them to rectify the list and also give you a backdated rebate or credit.

I wrote 8 days ago and have received no response. Now, I have been on the phone to them, the matter has been "escalated" and they have promised to call back later in the day.

It seems to have been an error in omitting Zoe because all vehicles with < 150g/kilometre are supposed to be on the list.

If these complaints don't work, I'll ask NRMA to lobby on our behalf. Or maybe AEVA could do it?

The difficult thing with bureaucracies is knowing who or what department.

Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Groupie

Re: NSW Zoes please note

Post by LouB » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 09:23

Dave, thank you for making me, and others, aware of this omission.
Following your lead, I have just sent an email to Roads & Maritime. Unless they reply fairly quickly, I'll be following it up with phone calls.

While in the mood, I also fired off another email to Renault Australia asking them to be more proactive in the above matter and also to suggest that they should look at getting their EV's into the NRMA's 'Open Road' publication. To date, they have not even appeared in the New & Used Car Prices listing.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 10:04

An update. They did ring me back. They are still considering my submission which basically contained two key points:

a. Put the Zoe onto the list, where it belongs.
b. Give me a credit or refund for it not being on the list last rego & make sure it is applied to the next rego.

As the matter was "escalated" 6 days ago, they have three weeks from that date by which they must reply. Of course the reply might not be useful. As my rego is due about then, the internal people in the RMS have agreed to work more quickly.

However, they did clarify how cars get onto the list. The manufacturer (Renault) is supposed to nominate vehicles for the list. The RMS then does due diligence to verify the submitted details, then the car is added to the list.

Now it is possible that Renault nominated Zoe and RMS is at fault. Or maybe Renault only nominated Kangoo. On the other hand, the Fed Govt Green Car guide is accurate and lists Zoe and Kangoo so my money is on the NSW RMS people getting it wrong. One look at their website is enough to show there are other issues, links going to the wrong place etc.

So, I have alerted Renault Head Office to the situation and requested that they ask RMS to put Zoe onto the list. I have also pointed out that there was a flurry of early Zoe adopters about a year ago and that rego is due soon or has already happened....so please do it quickly.

I suggest all other NSW Zoe owners also lobby Renault Australia to quickly get this fixed. It probably would not hurt to also lobby RMS and ask for refund/rebate as well.

Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 13:48

Any idea how much the NSW regio reduction, or rebate, for 'lower taxed vehicles' is worth?

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 14:09

Sorry, no idea.
That is one of the web page links that just takes you in circles.
It would be funny (not) if it turns out to be something like one dollar after all the effort of phone calls, emails, lobbying etc.
Hopefully it is worthwhile!
Regds,
Dave

HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 18:23

I see Vic have $100 discount and ACT have 20% so hopefully NSW have similar sorts of discount.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 18:52

I think NSW is either $5, $20 or $30 discount for lower taxed vehicles based on the weight of the vehicle and the discount is only in the first year of registration. I can't find a formal reference for that just this page - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2612939.
2013 Nissan Leaf

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 07:54

After a fair bit of back and forth with RMS and Renault, we've just been advised by RMS that Zoe has been approved and will be added to the list from the 25th of July and the discount will apply to Zoe registrations from then. It is a yearly discount and it is available EACH time you renew the registration. They will not provide a rebate or refund for previous registrations when Zoe was (incorrectly) not on the list.

Our rego is due a week before the 25th and we are seeking clarification about the actual date from when the discount applies.

For interest, this year, Zoe rego is $67 and the full tax is $305.

Regards,
Dave

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:10

Hi Dave,
I too have just received the same email from RMS.
Still unclear as to the value of the tax discount. I've seen various amounts mentioned, ranging from $5 to $30.
Certainly not much, but at least the Zoe will be appearing in the lower taxed vehicles list.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:21

My Leaf in NSW has $282 of Motor Vehicle Tax (1493kg). So that's a $23 discount off the standard $305 and as suggested it looks like it's included in every renewal.

I'll take it but it's so small it would have cost them more to get the code changed in their system than they will would have paid out in savings to EV owners to date!
Last edited by dgh853 on Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Nissan Leaf

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:26

I spoke to them this morning and even the insiders cannot tell me the tax percentage. It's not only not on the external website, it's not on their internal information systems! Not for any car.
However, they have promised to discover the amount and get back to us.
They also clarified with their "Policies and Procedures people" that the discount will not start until the 25th July, even though Zoe should have been on the list 15 months ago.

I am looking at:

a. Delaying rego by nine days and not driving the vehicle during that time.
b. Registering for 6 months only this time.
c. Kicking up a bigger stink.
d. Doing nothing.

What I do will depend upon the amount involved. If it's tiny, we'll just drop it.

Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:28

Aha, if the Leaf is $23 then Zoe will be the same.

Interesting that Zoe is 13kg lighter.

Not worth jumping up and down about it.

At least Zoe is finally on the list.

Thanks and Cheers,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Wed, 31 Jul 2019, 13:10

RMS did not update the Web list of vehicles as of this morning, so I contacted them and they have now done the update (and fixed the "Renalt" spelling for Kangoo).

So, finally Zoe is on the official list.

I note the Tesla 3 is not there yet

Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Wed, 21 Aug 2019, 13:04

Just received my rego renewal notice today and can confirm that the discount on Zoe's Motor Vehicle Tax is $23 in NSW. So terribly excited, wondering what to do with all that money :lol:
The same notice also shows engine capacity as 68.0. Doesn't mean much to me. Haven't yet managed to find an engine in this vehicle, So I'll probably never know ;)
Last edited by LouB on Wed, 21 Aug 2019, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Wed, 21 Aug 2019, 13:11

Hi Lou, great you have profited by such a huge amount.
Our governments are SO generous and SO encouraging are they not?
Several of us have missed out because of the incompetence of RMS so we'll be coming to you for a share of your new found wealth (just kidding)!
Regds,
Dave