Image processing

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman
Groupie

Image processing

Post by Nagaman »

Over the 18,000 Kms of country based travelling, I’ve come to the conclusion that the image processing takes around 0.6 sec which is noticeable when identified traffic/pedestrians etc show up compared to actual position.
Today a pedestrian started to walk across the road as I approached, in anticipation of my passing her.
At the very point I cleared her the brakes slammed on with a chirp from the front right tyre. It was simply too late and actually counterproductive..........a bit like traffic turning safely across your path and the unnecessary reaction coming too late.
I don’t know how a rewrite will deal with it.
TACC also suffers from surging compared to our Vitara’s superior lidar base ACC and I suspect it’s also down to image processing delays.
francisco.shi

Re: Image processing

Post by francisco.shi »

I wonder how that compares to a human driver when the driver is driving normally.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Can it tell the difference between a tree stump and a kangaroo?
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

How do you know what hardware edition you have eg 2.5 or 3.0 ?
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I wonder if the AI would choose a stump or a kangaroo if it had no choice and was going to hit one or the other.
The front crumple zone will probably be able to deal with the stump and the driver will probably survive but the kangaroo will smash into the windscreen and kill the people in the front seats and I doubt the airbags will inflate.
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I think the main issue would be that generally the stump stays where it is but the kangaroo will stay there until the last minute then jump out in front on you or into the side of your vehicle.
If you go left,it will go left, if you go right, it will go right. You can't steer them like dear, sheep or cattle. They also can't jump backwards. So once they run into the side of your car the just keep kicking the Sh... out of it until they fall over and then hop away.
The Kangaroo usually ends up in the back seat ( with a head on) and the occupants flee through the front doors( if able). According to the local panel beaters.
Last edited by brunohill on Fri, 25 Sep 2020, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Elsewhere the problem is with dear ending up on your lap, so I don’t think kangaroos are particularly special.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

Maybe the approach with Kangaroos is to aim to hit them. Then no matter which way they jump they will jump in the away direction. :lol:
wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings »

That isn't so silly an idea as it sounds, as long as you intend to try and stop before reaching them.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Victoria must have the most dead kangaroos per 100 km in Australia. I guess all the healthy streams make it attractive.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

The slow processing I believe is the reason <80k bends are clumsy and require ap cancellation with opposite traffic.