Superchargers planned/under construction

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman

Re: Superchargers planned/under construction

Post by Nagaman »

Someone is commissioning fast chargers in Shepparton and Mooroopna plus the council is installing AC chargers at the new Shepparton grey monolithic arts centre beside the lake ......and they are supposedly due online by late this month.
180 kms from Melbourne makes it logical for the Newell travellers also.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

This year's roll-out appears to be on track per January's revision, although not in the same sequence as planned. While the 1st Brisbane site away from the service centre that was due last quarter is yet to show up, the other one at Geelong and one of the Q2 sites (Yea) and one of the Q3 sites (Colac) are all listed as under construction. And permits are lodged for a NSW site near Penrith and Williams in WA.

The plan called for an accelerated roll-out toward the end of the year and from just Maclean in the last 12 months to three this quarter, here's hoping. Do I remember correctly that a new supercharger factory went online in China recently?
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I'll copy what was shared in the TOCA member update earlier this week! (TOCA gets details of imminent supercharger construction direct from Tesla)
Tesla is also at work constructing new Supercharging sites to enable convenient fast charging at additional routes across Australia. Keep an eye out for new locations coming soon in Devonport, TAS; Toombul, QLD; Geelong, VIC; Yea, VIC; Perth, WA; Moe, VIC; Williams, WA and Colac, VIC.
Of these: Geelong (Corio), Yea and Colac have been spotted under construction. Williams location is known (shared by TOCWA last year) and Blaxland for some reason isn't on it.

Exact locations for the others are not known. Toombul is likely to be the shopping centre where the Chargefox ultra-rapid is.

[Edit: I only just realised I completely duplicated what @philupandgo said. Sorry!]
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

For most Victorians, beyond the coming Shepparton site, the Newell Hwy is still not recognised as significant apparently.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I guess they could not do the 8 sites listed in the previous post and do the Newell Highway instead. But then we'd be told "the Princes Hwy is still not recognised as significant apparently".

They can't cover 100% of the country at once - there's always going to be parts of the country that gets various things before others. I guess living in Tassie I'm used to that :)
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Chuq wrote: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 12:11 I guess they could not do the 8 sites listed in the previous post and do the Newell Highway instead. But then we'd be told "the Princes Hwy is still not recognised as significant apparently".

They can't cover 100% of the country at once - there's always going to be parts of the country that gets various things before others. I guess living in Tassie I'm used to that :)
My roots go back to ‘Launy’ but I understand that you can get around pretty much all of the highways of tassie now.
The Newell is the Melbourne - Gold Coast Hwy in winter plus the nomad trail for so many.......but not for BEVs still.
You have to be Melbourne/Vic based to understand how important it is.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Not for BEVs? No superchargers, but NRMA has it covered though.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Tesla or not, just so long as they are fast chargers and reliable.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

Nagaman wrote: Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 13:09 Tesla or not, just so long as they are fast chargers and reliable.
So Yea went live this week and we knew Corio and Colac are under construction.

The big news today is that Toombul in Brisbane is now under construction and listed as 250kW. Our first V3 site.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

A few new 2022 additions on the Tesla map!

NSW: Holbrook, Newcastle, Arimdale, Tenterfield
Qld: Brisbane South, Rockhampton
Tas: Hobart
WA: Perth

(these are on top of the ones that already existed, so that's a 2nd site for both Brisbane and Perth)
I haven't checked for changes to the others but it seems the ones listed as Q1 but not completed are now Q2.
Some names have been changed (e.g. "[City] 1/2" are now "[City] West/East/etc")
Interestingly enough neither the Devonport Tas site (listed in the TOCA newsletter) nor the Blaxland NSW site are shown here.

Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The Newell and Princes Hwys will remain unconnected apparently.
Tesla Sydney obviously still doesn’t understand it seems.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 09:32 The Newell and Princes Hwys will remain unconnected apparently.
On the contrary, they probably have a massive amount of data on where Teslas travel, which would be what they use to plan their future locations.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Chuq wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 09:54
Nagaman wrote: Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 09:32 The Newell and Princes Hwys will remain unconnected apparently.
On the contrary, they probably have a massive amount of data on where Teslas travel, which would be what they use to plan their future locations.
Not being possible is confirmation bias.
Jerildery , Narrandera, West Wyalong etc aren’t destinations for Sydney based owners.
They are fundamental for Melbourne based who would LIKE to drive to Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast and beyond without the need to go via Sydney.
Sydney has never had a clue about anything other than themselves.......they simply don’t do ‘national perspective’.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

The first V3 (250 kW) supercharger in Australia has opened - in Devonport, Tasmania! (It's also Tasmania's first supercharger of any kind). Word is that all new superchargers going forward in Australia will be V3.

It's a 3 stall site. The cabinet supplying the 3 stalls is 350 kW, which is shared between the stalls although each is capable of a peak charging rate of 250 kW.

There's a formal opening at 11am next Thursday 3 June if any Tesla owners want to attend.

There are also V3 superchargers under construction at the following locations - Details on https://supercharge.info
Toombul, Qld (6 stall)
Corio, Vic (6 stall)
Colac, Vic (3 stall)
Williams, WA (3 stall)

The Victorian ones appear close to complete so are probably going to be the next to open.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Elon is reported in Electrek today as confirming that the supercharger network will open up to other contributory brands by years end……..and the app also. (I just hope that doesn’t create bug problems)
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Nagaman wrote: Wed, 21 Jul 2021, 06:43 Elon is reported in Electrek today as confirming that the supercharger network will open up to other contributory brands by years end……..and the app also. (I just hope that doesn’t create bug problems)
https://electrek.us9.list-manage.com/tr ... 87fda1886a
reecho

Post by reecho »

Perth's first site is under construction at the new Karrinyup Shopping Centre extension.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://www.karrinyupcentre.com.au/deve ... -karrinyup

Karrinyup (Coming Soon)
Karrinyup Bus Stn, Karrinyup WA 6018, Australia
https://www.plugshare.com/location/330630
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

No sooner is Warrnambool back on line with 250kw after more than 10 months, now Horsham receives second site also at 250kw. It will be interesting to see if the old 120kw site is moved somewhere else, requiring all Model S/X owners to buy a CCS adapter. Or if it was deemed that the Adelaide / Melbourne route is to be upgraded with more stalls. I was rather expecting some in-betweening to occur as has happened between Brisbane and Sydney.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I’d like to see more Norway style drive-through bays for the inevitable/eventual towing reality.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

The recent Victorian and NSW state plans for the next 18 months - 4 years will more or less bring those states up to where Tasmania is now - a broad skeletal network. With relatively few EVs, and almost none towing, it is a good start. The next step will be for the likes of Ampol, and maybe Bell Hub, who have plans for more extensive infrastructure, and already have experience with proper forecourts, to show how it should be done. Just in time for the bigger utes that are still only being planned for Australia. Here's hoping.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

The AdBlue shortage might hasten the realisation of the 2025 reality.
philupandgo
Groupie

Post by philupandgo »

The quarterly push-the-boat-out has hit the Tesla Supercharger map. Unexpected, but not unreasonable, all the planned central city sites are gone and replaced by one or two sites further out in suburbia. Hobart is still on the plan. So far this year there are only three new sites, being Tailem Bend SA, Kirrawee NSW, and Margaret River WA. And two sites closed; Horsham VIC was recently replaced with a 250kw site around the corner and Toombul, Brisbane was washed away with the shopping centre so is sort of being replaced by Indooroopilly. Along with Indooroopilly, Tugeranong ACT is also listed as under construction. The only other sites still planned for this year are Woolongong NSW and Tenterfield NSW, both in Q4; up by five, down by two. All but one of the remaining 16 sites are now planned for Q1 (Holbrook must wait). In Australia it is difficult to see the doubling of super charger sites that is supposed to be happening even considering the known global and local hold-ups of the past year, unless we really count the expanding planned list.

On supercharge.info there are also 10 sites listed as in the permit phase and do not show up on the Tesla map. I assume the "permit" phase means they don't have one, but neither do i think that "planned" means that they do have a permit as plans change. This doesn't mean that there won't be other sites this year as it wouldn't be the first time that something popped up unannounced. Tesla seems to be putting more plans into suburbia and effort into in-betweening/upgrading along the existing intercity highways. The coastal connection between Sydney and Melboune and inland connection from Sydney to Brisbane seem to be slipping, but on the flip side there are now more sites planned for up the Queensland coast. Maybe Mount Gambier will show up at the Q4 push-the-boat-out event.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

I am assuming that Tesla’s plans are now taking into account ‘sharing’ @SCs internationally. Destination also ?
The one predictable aspect of the ‘mission’ is the fundamental question as to whether it is profit margin additive now.
Features and costs have been pared to the bone already, so I would imagine Tesla now wants government to subsidise a significant expansion in Australia.
I could imagine a cross-subsidy would be a solar/storage farm colocated supercharger facility as also state power backup for WA/SA on the Nullarbor Hwy.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

The supercharge.info blue dots basically mean any site that has evidence of Tesla planning a specific address. It can be a news article, a council public notice, a development application, etc. You can click the 'discuss' link on any of them for details of the source.

The only one (to my knowledge) which has been reverted is the Bondi Junction one. Council approved it but wasn't enough capacity (also approved a 2 stall Evie site at the same time, which is now built).

Oddly enough there are a lot of sites which have solid evidence of activity which don't appear on the Tesla map at all. I notice Lancelin WA and Blaxland NSW have been known and locked in for some time, and only just appeared on this weeks map update.