Superchargers planned/under construction

Tesla EVs Interest Group
dgh853
Groupie

Re: Superchargers planned/under construction

Post by dgh853 »

Charge rate is highly dependent on your state of charge (SOC). If you're only getting 68kW it's because your SOC is over 50%. On the Model 3 SR+ it will be up to 130kW up to ~30% SOC on a Supercharger, up to 170kW on an Ultra Fast Charger.

Tesla Superchargers are paired and share the same chargers so you should avoid parking next to someone else on the same pair i.e. 3A/3B. Each pair shares ~150kW so if someone is already pulling 120kW you'll get max 30kW but that will improve for you as their charge rate goes down.

If you want fast charging:
- avoid paired Superchargers
- use Ultra Fast Chargers from Chargefox
- run your SOC below 20%
- use the Tesla navigation which will precondition the battery for fast charging at Superchargers and optimise charging so you get to each Supercharger with ~15% remaining for faster charging and a buffer for headwinds or driving over the speed limit.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

^^^^^ yeah, even so starting below 60% and sub 40 seemed a bit low.......and the other guy was still there when we left 20+ mins later.

I notice some shopping centres have free 22 kWh facilities and am wondering if that’s AC or DC (I’m assuming AC)?.
Will the M3SR+ charge at 22 or is it AC and limited to 11 max?.
dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Yes, the 22kW is AC but the Model 3 can only take 11kW max on AC.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2019 Kona Electric Elite
2013 Nissan Leaf
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

dgh853 wrote: Mon, 23 Mar 2020, 17:22 Yes, the 22kW is AC but the Model 3 can only take 11kW max on AC.
Thanks for the clarification - I much prefer AC if I’ve got the time.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

From Melbourne to Narooma (684 kms of the Princes Hwy) there is still not one Supercharger.
Who determines installation priority in Australia?.
Although 2 are supposedly ‘planned’ the last one, Lakes Entrance, is still insufficient to cover the route.
Anyone in Victoria would think the federal government was responsible for the choices funded.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

Nagaman wrote: Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 12:42 Who determines installation priority in Australia?.
It's a combination of a lot of things - finding a convenient location, a willing site host, availability of electrical capacity, council approval (if required), civil/electrical contractor availability, and of course spacing between other sites with have all the same challenges. All of these things take various lengths of time. They could kick off 20 locations at once, and while some may take 3 months others might take 2 years.
Although 2 are supposedly ‘planned’ the last one, Lakes Entrance, is still insufficient to cover the route.
Anyone in Victoria would think the federal government was responsible for the choices funded.
It doesn't matter where they put them, or plan to put them - until 100% of Australia is covered someone is going to find a route that isn't covered and be unhappy about it. In the last 12.5 months they've opened 12 new locations in Australia, four of these have been in the last 6 weeks. They'll get there eventually. Notably, the only regional areas that are planned but not complete are in Victoria so likely that will be their focus for this year. (They also have 2 non-regional locations marked, in Brisbane and Perth).
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

The whole of the Victorian coast has just one in Warrnambool and Victoria is the most densely populated state.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

And there are ten other superchargers in other parts of Victoria covering most of the rest of the state.

Since I live in a place which is unlikely to see superchargers for some time (Tasmania) I see comments like this and look at them from an objective point of view. I get that people want superchargers in the area that they travel - but the same argument could be applied to lots of areas across the country, and everyone thinks their preferred region is being intentionally excluded by Tesla. It's hard to see how this region is any more urgent or important than any other region. In any case, as I mentioned, this area is the only one remaining on Tesla's "coming soon" map so it seems to be an area they will prioritise.

I have had a look on the council development applications in these areas but haven't seen anything show up (although note, not every electric vehicle charging station requires a DA):

https://www.bawbawshire.vic.gov.au/Plan ... plications

https://www.latrobe.vic.gov.au/Property ... advertised

https://www.wellington.vic.gov.au/pages ... -on-notice

https://www.eastgippsland.vic.gov.au/Pl ... plications
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Nagaman wrote: Sun, 12 Apr 2020, 12:17 The whole of the Victorian coast has just one in Warrnambool and Victoria is the most densely populated state.
It also has the smallest coastline
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

brunohill wrote: Mon, 13 Apr 2020, 11:29
Nagaman wrote: Sun, 12 Apr 2020, 12:17 The whole of the Victorian coast has just one in Warrnambool and Victoria is the most densely populated state.
It also has the smallest coastline
NSW isn’t 7 times greater.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Yeah but Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory have a pretty long coastline (and there's nothing through the middle either) and only one location in WA is actually there...
Screenshot_2020-04-13-12-35-57-448_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2020-04-13-12-35-57-448_com.android.chrome.png (287.44 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

and not to mention there's not a lot going on in Queensland.

Granted the population density is lower but the point is, there are a lot of gaps in coverage
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

So I tried the Euroa Chargefox ‘ultra-rapid’ charger today, just to confirm my app functionality.
Arriving with 56% and charging to 66% , at no time did the ultra rapid charge rate get above 38 kWh and in fact tapered to just 33.
Is this purely because I didn’t precondition the battery prior?
What vehicle would see an ultra rapid charge rate?
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

So I wonder just how much longer is Highway 1 from Melbourne to Sydney going to be unavailable for EV owners due to zero rapid chargers in the 500+ km Victorian section. (Westbound you will almost certainly have a considerable headwind in winter and similarly eastbound in summer)
A combined 10 million people makes the question viable.
Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Hi there-just checking - did you plug into one of the big square 350kW EVSEs on the left? (and not one of the 'Lost in Space' Tritium 50kW robots on the right?) Still seems a bit low even for the Tritium though. My Kona has previously pulled 74kW at 50% from the ABB ones there. Cheers Bryce
AEVA Vic vice-chair
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drive: Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Nagaman wrote: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:10 So I wonder just how much longer is Highway 1 from Melbourne to Sydney going to be unavailable for EV owners due to zero rapid chargers in the 500+ km Victorian section. (Westbound you will almost certainly have a considerable headwind in winter and similarly eastbound in summer)
A combined 10 million people makes the question viable.
Well, my plugshare app in map mode still doesn’t show the ChargeFox site in Moe .
(it’s funny how everywhere in the world comes up before Australia gets listed)
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

https://youtu.be/D4XGKmV-5QA

This might be handy
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 60
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

I’m taking up the matter of potentially being ICEd with the Alpine Shire and have recently a reply that suggests that being on private land (at Ovens) they have no jurisdiction.
I’ve suggested that they might like to view the charging infrastructure as being an essential service for some and thus represents a commensurate OH&S issue .
I also pointed out the trend and the ‘no hot catalyst or exhaust sparks’ in high fire danger periods as an added incentive to conversion for local response vehicles.

Rapid charging facilities ARE occasionally an essential piece of infrastructure for some.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

It’s being referred to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning - DELWP for their input.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

I see Traralgon and Lakes Entrance are ‘planned’.........making the border achievable at least.
Has anyone seen an indication of actual installation location or works activity?
tonyw
Groupie

Post by tonyw »

Just noticed last week that Macquarie Centre (North Ryde, Sydney) now hosts a set of ten SuperChargers in the basement. Dunno when they were installed (last few months of isolation absence), but the 3kW bowser for my i-Miev is still there and has been moved over against the wall.
cheers

tony

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

An interesting development re ‘destination chargers’ : V3 .......and network expansion:

https://electrek.co/2020/08/11/tesla-up ... -charging/