Tesla odometer accuracy

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman
Groupie

Tesla odometer accuracy

Post by Nagaman »

My January 2020 build Australian delivery Model 3 SR+ , after 28,000 kms of regular and fully analysed runs, is, if anything, UNder reporting distance vis-a-vis Google maps/onboard calculation and TomTom onboard calculation.
Bjorn says otherwise......a 2% error over reporting.
philupandgo
Noobie

Re: Tesla odometer accuracy

Post by philupandgo »

That is odd.

Like not having a specific rain sensor for the windscreen wipers, i would have thought that Tesla philosophy would use GPS for the distance/speed sensor, which should make it fairly consistent with the TomTom, and i suppose Google maps. On the other hand i would not be surprised if ADR compliance would require a motor rotational speed sensor and therefore it would be almost guaranteed to over report, as Bjorn found, in order to stay compliant. Additionally, you have used up about half or more of your tyre tread, which traditionally should make it start to over report.

Are you rotating tyres as recommended? Did you replace them with oversized tyres? Not that that would make significant difference to your annual average. I put slightly oversized tyres on my Dmax and compared to the public highway speed test sites (one west of Wodonga and used to be one at Beveridge) it made the ute report right on the knocker rather than over report. I don't know how accurate those devices are, but oversized tyres made a definite relative difference.

Speaking of tyre rotation, i've only done 9,000 kms since late December 2019 in the SR+, about half on the highway and drive everywhere in Chill mode, very rarely trying out standard acceleration. Except for country trips, i tend to drive around on slightly less pressure for comfort over endurance. As expected the rear tyres are slightly more worn than the fronts which is the safest condition. I do not intend to rotate the tyres mid life. Rather, at first change i will put the fronts on the rear and new tyres on the front. Then perhaps six months later, will replace the rear tyres and allow those to wear down to match the near new ones on the front in time for a full set of new tyres. Over the full cycle, the rear tyres will have very slightly more tread for 40% of the time and mostlly when the tyres are in their best condition. This should give the odometer the best chance of being accurate. I will probably just stick with the OEM tyre unless people scream at me to switch to something better.
Nagaman
Groupie

Re: Tesla odometer accuracy

Post by Nagaman »

No Philip
Mine isn’t inaccurate, but in fact spot on......or a minuscule under reading tendency
42 psi (3 bar) and insignificant tyre wear with bog standard wheel/tyres.
There is certainly no 2% error.
The speedo over reads eg 91 is actually 90 by TomTom gps but the standard 107 km trip measured by TomTom and Google maps ends up with just under 107 on the trip card.
Tesla displayed data cross checks amazingly accurate and linear.