i3 service interval help

BMW EV Interest Group
pajo
Noobie

i3 service interval help

Post by pajo » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 11:28

I was wondering if anyone help me out with why the time service interval for the i3's in Australia is one year when it is two years in other places in the world such as the UK and USA?

My 2018 i3S BEV is telling me the first service is now due after one year and 6,000km of mostly gentle driving. My dealer seems to have no answer other than that it is now due for service.

Seems a bit strange that we should have to service our low km vehicles twice as often as other countries. I don't know whether the distance intervals are the same or not.

Bryce
Groupie

Re: i3 service interval help

Post by Bryce » Mon, 11 Mar 2019, 14:28

Hi there: welcome to the EV early adopter world! Dealers really don't know how to deal with the reduced service needs of EVs/how to modify their business model. (Nissan dutifully send me 6 monthly service reminders for my Leaf ...which I dutifully ignore till 24 months pass since the last service ...). I do monitor my battery with LeafSpy and check the brake pads, coolants etc 6 monthly though. If you don't want to do that yourself, 12 monthly is not a bad idea.
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: 2011 Leaf, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

pajo
Noobie

Re: i3 service interval help

Post by pajo » Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 15:49

Thanks Bryce, sensible suggestions there, however self monitoring was never given as an option by BMW. My concern is that if I don't get the service done according to the BMW schedule which in Australia is every year or 15,000km, my warranty could be affected. Given that dealers make more money from servicing an ICE car than from selling it, your comment about changing the business model is a good one. I really get left with the feeling Australians are not getting a fair deal from BMW regarding EV servicing when compared to other countries.