Unable to repair my Electron V

Technical discussion for the Blade
chris
Groupie

Unable to repair my Electron V

Post by chris »

I have not been able to repair my car and have not had any luck finding someone who can. I think it is time so sell it, as it keeps cutting out while driving. I am in Sydney if anyone knows of a workshop or is interested in it.
jonescg

Re: Unable to repair my Electron V

Post by jonescg »

Tried Geoff O'Toole in Mulgrave?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

Yes he was very helpful with suggestions and helping me get in contact with Ross. Unfortunately Geoff was too busy to take on the work.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I had one that used to cut out all the time.

There's lots of failure points sadly
Does yours have the manual gear stick with the motor cut out button?
If so, that may be false triggering

The water pumps for cooling on mine stopped working, turned out to be faulty wiring.

A loss of connection with the BMS can also cause the motor to cut out
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

I had no evidence but I wondered at one point if, when using the A/C and lights and wipers while raining, whether the DC/DC was maintaining voltage in the 12V.
I wondered this because it was the situation one day when it decided to fail.

Tesla would not have survived without a lot of money, a huge market and some happy outcomes. And it's so good that Tesla did.
A hopeless planetary situation but one small step in the right direction :) :)
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

antiscab wrote: Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 09:43 There's lots of failure points sadly
Does yours have the manual gear stick with the motor cut out button?
If so, that may be false triggering

The water pumps for cooling on mine stopped working, turned out to be faulty wiring.

A loss of connection with the BMS can also cause the motor to cut out
The gearbox computer was disabled when I first got it. It lost regen a few years ago so now the gearshift button operates the regen disconnect for gear changing. The inverter is air cooled and the fan works. I drives normally for 1.5 to 3 kilometers and then looses power on acceleration or the regen cuts out. It may come back on by itself in a couple of seconds or need the drive selector to be moved to start and back to forward or at worse turn it of and back on. The display tends to fade in the lower right hand side especially in hot weather. It also does not give the ready signal on start up in the top right hand side of the display. Sadly there is no one in Sydney that I know off that knows the inverter and can troubleshoot this car.
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

bladecar wrote: Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 15:05 I had no evidence but I wondered at one point if, when using the A/C and lights and wipers while raining, whether the DC/DC was maintaining voltage in the 12V.
I wondered this because it was the situation one day when it decided to fail.
I have tried disconnecting the dc/dc with no effect on the cutting out.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

I didn't drive my car a lot and so I thought it possible that the 12V may not have been fully charged when I started the trip. Then I was driving in rain (wipers on) sitting for a while with the radio on, the lights on, the A/C on and a little way up the road, no throttle. It did start sporadically later and cut out and started and I would have had fewer things turned on in the car by then.
I was wondering if the DC/DC had the capacity to supply that stuff (plus the power steering, I forgot to mention) under those adverse conditions and for the length of time I was out by then) when I was using all the electrical load possible in the car without certainty that the 12V was well charged due to a fair bit of standing time over the days before. Also, I always considered the 12V battery a tiny little thing (because of a lack of space for anything bigger in that location).

So I'm not suggesting that the DC/DC itself was causing a fault but rather that it MIGHT not have the capacity to maintain 12V battery charge with everything running.
If you're into it, I'm suggesting checking what the V is at the 12 volt battery with everything electrical running (and occasional power steering loading) in which case that Achilles heal of the EV, the 12v battery, might have dipped below a critical level and caused the control equipment to fail under those circumstances. Just a thought.
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

bladecar wrote: Fri, 01 Jan 2021, 18:08 So I'm not suggesting that the DC/DC itself was causing a fault but rather that it MIGHT not have the capacity to maintain 12V battery charge with everything running.
If you're into it, I'm suggesting checking what the V is at the 12 volt battery with everything electrical running (and occasional power steering loading) in which case that Achilles heal of the EV, the 12v battery, might have dipped below a critical level and caused the control equipment to fail under those circumstances. Just a thought.
The biggest power draw is the 12v brake vacuum pump. I have tried disconnecting it with no difference noticed. I now suspect the inverter may be the cause.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there Chris - that symptom in a Blade is indicative of a failing AZD controller. Mine failed that way. Definitely worth checking the other options .... but my money is on the controller. Simplest fix is installing a Curtis motor and controller (there are options for installing a new controller on the existing motor, but they are no cheaper) ... but unless you're doing it yourself, it would be almost be cheaper to buy a second-hand iMiEV (and definitely way quicker!)

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
chris
Groupie

Post by chris »

Bryce wrote: Sat, 02 Jan 2021, 05:33 Hi there Chris - that symptom in a Blade is indicative of a failing AZD controller. Mine failed that way. Definitely worth checking the other options .... but my money is on the controller. Simplest fix is installing a Curtis motor and controller (there are options for installing a new controller on the existing motor, but they are no cheaper) ... but unless you're doing it yourself, it would be almost be cheaper to buy a second-hand iMiEV (and definitely way quicker!)

Cheers
Bryce
Looks like the end of the road for this Electron. It was good while it worked.
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Hi,
It's quite a while ago now but if this is the little controller in the metal box high up on the driver's side of the motor, and if that controller is made by the local ev charger manufacturer whose name eludes me at the moment, my car stopped and it was a loose connection with one of those tiny wires pushed into the controller inside that metal box (if you get my drift).
I had help at the time to figure this out. Maybe look inside the metal box roughly attached to the side of the inverter up there and make sure none of those little wires are actually loose. This is one of those times where Shrek was wrong. Not better out than in. Worth a look, at least.

Edit: Sorry about this, I missed it by that much. My car was an Electron VI, not a mark 5. It had a different inverter and motor. It looked completely different under the bonnet. It was a chick that never did learn to fly. Your mentioning of a particular controller brought back memories and if it applies to your car at all, well it would be how I explained it. Yours.
DougR
Noobie

Post by DougR »

Such a shame to hear of another Blade Getz biting the dust - especially if the motor and battery are OK. We're looking at a Prius inverter upgrade for an ex-Blade vehicle here (Geelong, VIC). Maybe it's an idea for yours.
Cheers, Doug