Groupie

Best seller for PIP inverters

Post by Dan007a »

Looking for local contact to purchase a new PiP Inverter
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Best seller for PIP inverters

Post by coulomb »

Dan007a wrote: Mon, 07 Dec 2020, 07:47 Looking for local contact to purchase a new PiP Inverter
Not exactly a local contact, but I got mine on Ebay, through seller maximum_solar. They sometimes have stock in Sydney for the more popular models.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

You can also buy direct from MPP Solar in Taiwan.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 07 Dec 2020, 09:05 You can also buy direct from MPP Solar in Taiwan.
Well, you can try, but it now seems everything goes through the local agent no matter how hard you try. We used a lot of their products when we dealt directly with the Taiwan people, but now everything goes through the local bloke things seem to get lost in translation or something. After trying for weeks to get a problem sorted with a PCM60X (which is an MPP Solar product) and the whole email back and forward going full circle where we couldn't seem to get through to them just what the problem was, we gave up all together. After it taking 6 mths to get a replacement motherboard for a failed 4024 MSP inverter that was still under warranty yet still cost us $110 and we had to do all the strip down, testing and now replacement at our cost .... we have changed to using Victron products until their customer support improves ......

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Dan007a
Groupie

Post by Dan007a »

Thanks Terry. If you having dramas . What am the lower class ment to do . Lol.

I was 50 50 on mpp vs victron. Any ways
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The Victron downside, the output of say a 3000 is actually 2500w and only if you can keep the internal temp below 40*C .... a tough one when it's 45*+ ambient. They self de-rate until the temp reaches 65*C +/- around 5*C and at that point just shut down. The PIP units can handle up around the 60*C till they de-rate and the listing is what you get, the 4000 unit is 4000w continuous.
The Victron does have that power sharing thing so that can be a real bonus if using a back up generator that is a tad under powered for the big loads but plenty adequate for the average run loads otherwise. The units transition between being a battery charger and an inverter depending on the supply V the load and the supply can be set as part of the programming.
They do require the purchase of a special adaptor to link the laptop to the unit for system upgrades and easier programming, but it's a one off purchase of around the $80 mark from memory. The ability to link in parallel or 3 phase with just an RJ45 cable and no additional adaptor cards like the PIP units require is good, but the price difference is quite substantial. The Victron also has separate voltage sensing, a definite feature lacking in the PIP units and if you go with a full set of Victron equipment all of the newer "smart" range, they all network together via bluetooth and can be interconnected via one of the GX hubs to send all the info to a smart phone or internet, but without the GX unit, each individual unit can be pulled up with its own header so its operation can be seen separate to the other units.
So, good and bad on both sides. There is another player in the field, the units Jaycar sold for a while but couldn't squeeze out a better buy price so they dropped them from their line up .... for the life of me I can't remember the name, but someone here will ....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

An update with these MPP Solar Pip 4024MSP inverter/chargers. After 6 motherboard failures, I am giving up on these things. Even under warranty to replacement board isn't free, not even close, the dead board has to be returned, then postage of close to $200 ...... after jumping through hoops trying to convince them that the unit is actually still under warranty and you aren't an idiot and actually know that the thing is dead. You still have to send a photo of the fault code on the screen (just in case you read it wrong) a photo of the motherboard, the labels on everything ......
The basic problem seems to be they can't handle the South Australian heat. This time two units in parallel both failed at only 50% load with a code 51, overheat, but not just a shut down like the paperwork says happens ..... they are both dead. One does actually switch the 240vac on for a minute, then the fault light comes on and that is that.
We are using the Victron 3kva and 5kva units now, the 5kva unit derates to 3000w at 65*C now so at least they still function in the heat. We just have to install 3 in parallel now to feel the 8000w load will still be met in mid summer ..... If things keep heating up at the rate it is now, yr on yr, we will have to start adding and enclosed electrical area with full insulation, evaporative coolers or "roomy" aircon units that switch on at 30*C or something and enough extra solar and inverter power just for that ..... simply under the concrete and brick house on a concrete pad or in an under house garage isn't cool enough anymore when these things are driving the air cond. Granted, these people were still being mislead by the evaporative "swampie" sales people who told them they use less power than a split system .... I mean, what would we know, just because we have installed more than a few systems with 7kW split system reverse cycle systems that have less solar, less inverter capacity and a lot less battery capacity and they have no problems .....

I'll calm down now and have another coffee :roll:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn