iMiEV charging, J1772 testing

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Re: iMiEV charging, J1772 testing

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Mon, 04 May 2020, 20:27

Edit: the pilot processing hardware may be missing from the 2011 chargers, but then how can that mob offer a harness that fixes the problem?

Edit 2: you may also have to add the beige / pink / violet wire or parts thereof to the EV-ECU,

[ Edit: oops, wrong photo. Added second question. ]
Sadly I now think it may be impossible or very difficult to modify my car so it can use a variable or reduced Amp EVSE.
I did some more digging but did not unearth any useful nuggets.
I tried to find out where the signal wires from the inlet socket go .

This is a picture of the GS1011 (9499 A698) from GELCOservices (with my explanatory text added). The one in my car has the identical part numbers, made in Japan.
[ Edited Coulomb: removed copyrighted image. Unfortunately, it's about the only image on the internet of this harness (modified or factory original). ]

From the inlet port the wires go to a bridging plug on the harness incorporating a 2.7k Ω resistor.
[ Edited Coulomb: see this post (2 posts down) re the presence of this resistor near all J1772 inlets. ]
Then they plug in to the main loom forward (probably to the EV-ECU but I could not accurately identify the pink and aqua wires there,too many wires!), but they definitely do not go to the charger (E-03 pin 9).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

reecho wrote: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:01 2011 onwards I-Miev have a separate control box mounted on top of the AC charger. I suspect that does the PWM charge current control and in turn sends commands to the AC charger below it.
Do you mean the black box on top in this photo?

UfhaIA2.jpg
UfhaIA2.jpg (185.94 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
It's an AC filter box. This is what is inside it:

JNeaF6R.jpg
JNeaF6R.jpg (109.27 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
As you can see, there are only medium thick orange wires going in (AC into car from J1772), and medium think orange cables going out (AC going out of this box to the ob-board charger underneath). There are also filters in the chargers themselves, making the top box redundant, and I believe that these extra filters disappeared in later models (I can't remember what model year).

My guess is that the pilot signal control of charger power is implemented in post 2010 iMiEV chargers by a few op-amps or other analogue hardware, and a bit more work in the firmware. My guess is that a firmware update won't do it, because the hardware is needed to massage the pilot signal, and there wouldn't be a path from the pilot signal to the processor in the 2010 charger (on the top charger PCB).

BTW, thanks for setting me straight re the Gelco GS-1011 harness. I completely misinterpreted "allows full communications".

[ Edit: "in the charger" → "in the 2010 charger" ]
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

nuggetgalore wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:44 Sadly I now think it may be impossible or very difficult to modify my car so it can use a variable or reduced Amp EVSE.
Yes, it looks that way, unless you can find a cheap 2011 or later charger/DC-DC unit.
[ Edit: I realised later that you already have an updated charger, yet it's still not honouring the pilot signal maximum charge current. ]
Then you're not living up to your name :mrgreen:
This is a picture of the GS1011 (9499 A698) from GELCOservices (with my explanatory text added). The one in my car has the identical part numbers, made in Japan.
[ Edited Coulomb: removed copyrighted image. ]
[ Edited Coulomb: I should make it clear that Nuggetgalore contacted Phil Gell of Gelcoservices, and Phil told him that the GS1011 adapter would not solve his problem.
Also, Nuggetgalore posted the image to speculate about connectors in his car, not to reverse engineer the Gelcoservices harness. ]

From the inlet port the wires go to a bridging plug on the harness incorporating a 2.7k Ω resistor and a diode .
Is that visible on your image?
[ Edited Coulomb: I note that this resistor is present in all J1772 cars, whether iMiEV or not, and whether they installed the Gelcoservices harness or not. You can see the resistor in this image (designated R5) from the Wikipedia J1772 page. ]

To answer your "What is this?" question, I'll hazard that it's connector G12 (see below). It might also incorporate "RESISTOR" (the 2.7 kΩ resistor that is supposed to be in or near the inlet). G12 has a connection to earth, as does the resistor. I wonder if one of the other connectors is earthing connector G04, possibly even the one that you have marked as "AC 240V" (so the other, smaller connector would actually be the 240 V to the charger). But that's a wild guess from someone with an interest in iMievs, but doesn't actually own one :)

The image below is again from the Troubleshooting and repair for on-board charger first post.
[ Edit: I note that Mitsubishi's J1772 port numbering doesn't agree with that of Wikipedia, or of the only other image that I could find quickly. ]

Connector G12 etc.png
Connector G12 etc.png (155.45 KiB) Viewed 968 times
[ Edit 26/May/2020: Expanded image to show more of E-03; added more coloured rectangles. ]
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 23:47
nuggetgalore wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:44 Sadly I now think it may be impossible or very difficult to modify my car so it can use a variable or reduced Amp EVSE.
Yes, it looks that way, unless you can find a cheap 2011 or later charger/DC-DC unit.
Then you're not living up to your name :mrgreen:

From the inlet port the wires go to a bridging plug on the harness incorporating a 2.7k Ω resistor and a diode .

To answer your "What is this?" question, I'll hazard that it's connector G12 (see below). It might also incorporate "RESISTOR" (the 2.7 kΩ resistor that is supposed to be in or near the inlet). G12 has a connection to earth, as does the resistor. I wonder if one of the other connectors is earthing connector G04, possibly even the one that you have marked as "AC 240V" (so the other, smaller connector would actually be the 240 V to the charger). But that's a wild guess from someone with an interest in iMievs, but doesn't actually own one :)

The image below is again from the Troubleshooting and repair for on-board charger first post.
[ Edit: I note that Mitsubishi's J1772 port numbering doesn't agree with that of Wikipedia, or of the only other image that I could find quickly. ]

Connector G12 etc.png
Oops,I posted the wrong picture, the one I scribbled on before I unplugged the inlet harness and physically checked that the "what is that " plug
a) is maybe G 12 ( but not as a series connector in the line from inlet socket to charger)
b) the backside of the plug ( full bridge to six pins ) connects both signal wires to resistor and diode (the fat wire is connecting chassis to earth pin in the inlet socket).
c) the two ( pink and aqua) wires continue from the harness end connector to the main loom
( I peeled back some insulation tape where I could see that they go forward and not to the charger)
The AC connector connects the live, neutral and ground from the inlet to the charger (G-11)*.

[ Edited Coulomb: removed link to copyrighted image ]
Edit: imgur link
Edit2:
The picture I wrongly posted states 2x2 thin wires.That is incorrect, there are only three thin wires:
one is the proximity that goes straight through (but connects to the resistor), the second is the pilot from the inlet to the diode and resistor and the third continues to where ever the (PWM) signal is (resp is not) processed.

[ Edited Coulomb: removed copyright images from Gelcoservices. ]
Last edited by nuggetgalore on Sat, 09 May 2020, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

reecho wrote: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:01

2011 onwards I-Miev have a separate control box mounted on top of the AC charger. I suspect that does the PWM charge current control and in turn sends commands to the AC charger below it. I'm unaware of the protocol between that box and AC charger. It may well be CAN BUS.

as coulomb states , the doghouse on top of the charger is an AC filter (power factor ?) and most likely the older style charger. My mates 2012 still has that unit ,but does what I wished I could do (ie charge with 8.5 A rather than 12.5 resp accepts a multi current EVSE).
In 2017 my charger was replaced ( recall) with one dated 2015 and is according to what I read the new type.
https://imgur.com/a/dezOxde
The question where the PWM signal is processed is still a mystery.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 23:47

Connector G12 etc.png
looking at the circuit drawing again, and physically double checking the "what is this" plug, I can confirm that it is [G-04]. The bridge of the plug is connected to ground (14 in the black square) and connects to both signal wires. Resistances between ground and pins change if the plug is separated
from the chassis connected bridge, somewhere else must be a high resistance connection to ground.
It makes some sense that light green (what I called aqua) wire 108 goes to
EV-ECU @ [C-111] (CNIG) and pink wire 103 @ [C-111] (CNCT).

Could the mod be to add a connection from pin 3 (assuming it's pilot pin on the inlet socket [G-03]) to pin 2 of [G-12] that connects to pin 9 of connector [E-03] respective to pin 5 of [CN-101].**
It makes less sense (at least to me,lol) that [G-12] is a 4 pin connector yet connects to the main loom on my car with only the two above mentioned wires.
Pin 4* (high voltage ?) from [G-11] goes to pin 1 on [G04] and connects also to pin 2 .

See skyloggers post
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=80

** I would have to open the lid on the charger again to find out if I can find what is at pin 5 of [CN-101]
My plug E-03 is different from skylogger's.
https://imgur.com/a/tyCjXSC
Edit: have not figured out yet how to post a document or image,oh well, slow learner.

I now printed the circuit diagrams from myiMiEV blogs. Much sharper copies than from the repair disc, or the downloaded and paid for (Russian) version I have, both very coarse grained, hard to read.
How do you get those clear images and where are the ones from that have the plug layout next to where it is in the diagram?
edit: the pinout table did not properly post. Have to fix later.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

nuggetgalore wrote: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:57 Could the mod be to add a connection from pin 3 (assuming it's pilot pin on the inlet socket [G-03]) to pin 2 of [G-12] that connects to pin 9 of connector [E-03] respective to pin 5 of [CN-101].**
I assume you mean would the change required to achieve pilot signal control be to add the connection from pin "3" (Mitsubishi numbering) on the J1772 inlet to pin 2 of socket G12; yes, that would be required at minimum. But it looks like you have other issues with CN-101 that also need attention.
See skyloggers post
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=80
My plug E-03 is different from skylogger's.
https://imgur.com/a/tyCjXSC
It seems like you might need an extra wire from CN-101 pin 3 to E-03 pin 12, or whatever connects to the EV-ECU CHGP pin. It's weird that Mitsubishi changed those connectors so much, but I guess they didn't get tested in the 2010 model.
I now printed the circuit diagrams from myiMiEV blogs. Much sharper copies than from the repair disc, or the downloaded and paid for (Russian) version I have, both very coarse grained, hard to read.
I vaguely recall looking at one or two, and all I needed to do was to zoom in (they are PDFs).
How do you get those clear images and where are the ones from that have the plug layout next to where it is in the diagram?
That's from zooming in on the original from myimiev.com; the image is reduced to fit most screens by the forum software. Use "view image" or "view image in another tab" and use ctrl++ to zoom in, and ctrl+- (on Windows at least) to zoom out. I pasted the plug layouts to a crop of their large image, so it would not be so large on this forum.

I don't know if they at myimiev.com have access to a higher resolution drawing database then the sources you mentioned.
reecho

Post by reecho »

coulomb wrote: Fri, 08 May 2020, 22:58
reecho wrote: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:01 2011 onwards I-Miev have a separate control box mounted on top of the AC charger. I suspect that does the PWM charge current control and in turn sends commands to the AC charger below it.
Do you mean the black box on top in this photo?

UfhaIA2.jpg

It's an AC filter box. This is what is inside it:

JNeaF6R.jpg

As you can see, there are only medium thick orange wires going in (AC into car from J1772), and medium think orange cables going out (AC going out of this box to the ob-board charger underneath). There are also filters in the chargers themselves, making the top box redundant, and I believe that these extra filters disappeared in later models (I can't remember what model year).

My guess is that the pilot signal control of charger power is implemented in post 2010 iMiEV chargers by a few op-amps or other analogue hardware, and a bit more work in the firmware. My guess is that a firmware update won't do it, because the hardware is needed to massage the pilot signal, and there wouldn't be a path from the pilot signal to the processor in the 2010 charger (on the top charger PCB).

BTW, thanks for setting me straight re the Gelco GS-1011 harness. I completely misinterpreted "allows full communications".

[ Edit: "in the charger" → "in the 2010 charger" ]
Ah thanks for the photos. Yes agreed. With my 2010 I-Miev it didn't have pilot signal pin fitted. So I did it myself a bit sneakily. I purchased the J1772 to 15A adaptor from Gelco and used the spare pin in the connector and added into my J1772 car harness with a 1N4148 diode and 882 Ohm resistor. Worked a treat (mostly) on EVSE's. I haven't been able to source correct diagrams for the 2010's (the suff freely available on the internets are 2011 onwards)...
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

nuggetgalore wrote: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:57 Edit: have not figured out yet how to post a document or image...
I have a post about that here.

BTW, I meant to say that since you have all 5 pins in your J1772 inlet, and you have a 2015 charger, you definitely should be able to get the pilot signal control. It's a matter of what mods were done to your car before you owned it, and what Mitsubishi left out in 2010 models. There is also the matter of the different pinouts for various connectors, and the lack of good documentation of what's even supposed to be in 2010 models.

So don't give up :!:
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

reecho wrote: Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:11
Ah thanks for the photos. Yes agreed. With my 2010 I-Miev it didn't have pilot signal pin fitted. So I did it myself a bit sneakily. I purchased the J1772 to 15A adaptor from Gelco and used the spare pin in the connector and added into my J1772 car harness with a 1N4148 diode and 882 Ohm resistor. Worked a treat (mostly) on EVSE's. I haven't been able to source correct diagrams for the 2010's (the suff freely available on the internets are 2011 onwards)...
I have two discs/ downloaded manuals, one is 2011 the other 2012.I have not noticed any differences but do not know if there are any.
Now I wonder how you did charge your 2010 before you fitted that pilot pin and associated hardware? Did the charge cable that came with your car have a "brick"or was it plain?
reecho

Post by reecho »

nuggetgalore wrote: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:32
reecho wrote: Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:11
I have two discs/ downloaded manuals, one is 2011 the other 2012.I have not noticed any differences but do not know if there are any.
Now I wonder how you did charge your 2010 before you fitted that pilot pin and associated hardware? Did the charge cable that came with your car have a "brick"or was it plain?
Plain cable.
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

antiscab wrote: Mon, 27 Apr 2020, 20:29 Getting 130km to show on the guessometer, and actually getting 130km are two very different things. A battery with all 16kwh remaining can do it.

[ Edited Coulomb: Changed topic subject following topic split; changed on many subsequent posts as well. ]
Ours seems to get that on the flat. Initially got 150kms in good condition. Based on what I've been reading, we've obviously been lucky!
LauraiMiEV
Groupie

Post by LauraiMiEV »

bladecar wrote: Mon, 27 Apr 2020, 19:45 Moderator note: this topic started in Any iMievs for Sale? Moved here due to topic drift.
antiscab wrote: Sun, 26 Apr 2020, 11:06 130km on a charge, holy moly, that's the best I've seen yet (and I bought mine brand new)
Yes, my 2012 has charged to 116 or so (do you call that surface charge?). That's with 73% battery condition?? I reckon you could get to 120 or more by leaving your location and descending to a much lower altitude with regen (but should you ever do that??). Anyway, with 116 showing as a possible range on the guessometer, any driving away for a short period quickly drops that back a little.
This subject car must have a newish battery.

Downhill would go forever :lol: This is 130 on a flat, dry road - or thereabouts.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:24
nuggetgalore wrote: Sat, 09 May 2020, 14:57 Edit: have not figured out yet how to post a document or image...
I have a post about that here.

BTW, I meant to say that since you have all 5 pins in your J1772 inlet, and you have a 2015 charger, you definitely should be able to get the pilot signal control. It's a matter of what mods were done to your car before you owned it, and what Mitsubishi left out in 2010 models. There is also the matter of the different pinouts for various connectors, and the lack of good documentation of what's even supposed to be in 2010 models.

So don't give up :!:
I was busy with other stuff but now a progress report

Note that on the 2010 harness the light green and pink wires are identical to the wires on the 2012 harness but the blue wire (to the charger?) is missing

left pic chassis (ground) connection on the 2012 right pic chassis, ground,diode and resister connector on aftermarket harness

I bought an iCarsoft i909 OBDII Scan tool for Mazda and Mitsubishi from AUscanners.
I eventually got it to talk to my iMiEV. There are areas where it brings up an error saying the car is not connected or other reasons.
Any body knows the code for the airbag warning light?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

nuggetgalore wrote: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:09 I eventually got it to talk to my iMiEV.
Cool!
There are areas where it brings up an error saying the car is not connected or other reasons.
Did you disconnect the diode [ edit: and resistor ] from the aftermarket harness? That should be provided only by the charger itself now, via the equivalent of the blue wire.

I wonder where the 2.7 kΩ resistor is on a 2012. It should be somewhere near the J1772 inlet. [ Edit: oops, that's separate to the 2.74 kΩ resistor that would be in series with the diode, and which should also be in the charger. ]
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Wed, 20 May 2020, 11:21

Did you disconnect the diode [ edit: and resistor ] from the aftermarket harness? That should be provided only by the charger itself now, via the equivalent of the blue wire.

I wonder where the 2.7 kΩ resistor is on a 2012. It should be somewhere near the J1772 inlet. [ Edit: oops, that's separate to the 2.74 kΩ resistor that would be in series with the diode, and which should also be in the charger. ]
No I did not (yet) go any further with this. I am busy with other things .
I want to understand better what I am doing and need to have a an other look as to where the lines on my mates 2012 start and end.But that is not always possible.
Connection G-12 as I read the circuit connects a grey wire from the pilot pin on the charger inlet
socket to a blue wire to pin 9 on the E-03 connector at the back of the charger/DC-DC converter.
I am sssuming G-12 is the one on the 12 model where 3 wires (light-green and pink to EV-ECU + blue to charger E-03) exit ,true or false?
G-12 is listed as a 4 pin connector,I have yet to check what actually enters into it on the 12 model.
Then there is the quandary of the mismatched colour wires. Pin 9 on my E-03 already has (brown,have to check if I'm colour blind,lol?) wire,no idea where that one comes from.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

nuggetgalore wrote: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:42 Connection G-12 as I read the circuit connects a grey wire from the pilot pin on the charger inlet socket to a blue wire to pin 9 on the E-03 connector at the back of the charger/DC-DC converter.
Yes. I expanded the image back in this post to highlight that connection in red (upper red connection), and to show more of E-03.
I am asssuming G-12 is the one on the 12 model where 3 wires (light-green and pink to EV-ECU + blue to charger E-03) exit ,true or false?
It certainly looks that way to me.
Then there is the quandary of the mismatched colour wires. Pin 9 on my E-03 already has (brown,have to check if I'm colour blind,lol?) wire,no idea where that one comes from.
That would certainly be a good one to trace. My guess is that it will be a constant potential, probably either chassis or +12 V. Maybe if it goes near G-12, you could use it to connect to the pilot signal there. You might have to use a ferrule of just the right diameter (adjusting the tightness with needle nosed pliers) to connect to pin 2 of G-12; when it's all working ( :P ), silicone it up.

Edit: I assume that the colours nearest the OBC, pointed to by curved purple lines, are the colours you would see on CN-101 on a 2012. Does that seem to work out?

Edit 2: Do you even have relay A-06X present (connects to E-03 pin 2, via connection A-07)? I ask because you don't seem to have a wire to E-03 pin 2. If not, it may be necessary to add a relay to replace it; either plug a relay into the waiting socket, or wire an external relay if there is no socket for it.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

coulomb wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:11
nuggetgalore wrote: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:42 Connection G-12 as I read the circuit connects a grey wire from the pilot pin on the charger inlet socket to a blue wire to pin 9 on the E-03 connector at the back of the charger/DC-DC converter.
Yes. I expanded the image back in this post to highlight that connection in red (upper red connection), and to show more of E-03.
I am asssuming G-12 is the one on the 12 model where 3 wires (light-green and pink to EV-ECU + blue to charger E-03) exit ,true or false?
It certainly looks that way to me.
That would certainly be a good one to trace. My guess is that it will be a constant potential, probably either chassis or +12 V. Maybe if it goes near G-12, you could use it to connect to the pilot signal there. You might have to use a ferrule of just the right diameter (adjusting the tightness with needle nosed pliers) to connect to pin 2 of G-12; when it's all working ( :P ), silicone it up.

Edit: I assume that the colours nearest the OBC, pointed to by curved purple lines, are the colours you would see on CN-101 on a 2012. Does that seem to work out?
Today I was able to compare my E-03 to the E-03 on an 2012 model iMiEV.
There are two pins /wires different: Pin 2 in the 2012 has a green wire ( that may be violet as per diagram and skyloggers notes) vs mine is empty and pin 11 on the 2012 has the blue wire vs mine is empty. The most interesting feature is that pin 9 on both have a brown wire from source unknown where according to the diagram the blue wire from G-12 should be.
We then traced pin 3 on G-03 ( on the J1772 socket) to blue wire pin 11 on E-03 : eureka, we have found the connection on the 2012!
It is very hard to check and compare the wires exiting E-03 without disturbing the loom, but those
visible are identical. As the 2012 is not mine, asking to open the lid on his charger is stretching the friendship too far I think.
coulomb wrote: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:11 Edit 2: Do you even have relay A-06X present (connects to E-03 pin 2, via connection A-07)? I ask because you don't seem to have a wire to E-03 pin 2. If not, it may be necessary to add a relay to replace it; either plug a relay into the waiting socket, or wire an external relay if there is no socket for it.
That has to be the next step to find out if I can find relay A-06X and make sure it gets fired when relay A-08X is on and (ground) circuit is closed to fire A-06X by the EV-ECU via pin 14 B-27 (no idea where that connector is or pin 66 C-108). I assume that happens when all the handshake conditions for safe charging are met (ie the cooling system makes a dummy run before it starts charging, but that is happening with mine already without A-06X and 12 V into pin 2 on E-03).
BeeWBee
Noobie

Post by BeeWBee »

This is my first post on the forum. I hope I have chosen the appropriate topic.
I have owned a 2012 I-Miev for about a year.
During that time I have successfully charged the car using the Mitsubishi supplied Level 1 “brick”, Chademo rapid charge and my Siemens Versicharge wall charger.
I recently purchased a type 2 to type 1 cable and attempted to charge the car from Chargefox chargers in Adelaide city and Port Adelaide without success. The car responds to the Chargefox app and chargers but all that happens is the car cooling fan runs for a few seconds (normal) but the car red charging light flashes for a few seconds and then goes out. The car does not charge and the app does not show the car charging. I have spoken to Chargefox and they advise me there is nothing wrong with their equipment.
Assuming I had a faulty cable I have attempted to charge the car at the Adelaide Airport car park using the tethered J1772 connector. The charger shows a “connect your car” green light and when connected the cooling fan runs for a few seconds, the car red charging light flashes for a few seconds and then goes out, but once again the car does not charge.
An OBD scan using CarScanner Pro shows a diagnostic code " U1113 (ECU: 725), Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id".
Before I seek the help of Mitsubishi, does anyone on the forum have a solution?
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

BeeWBee wrote: Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 12:23 This is my first post on the forum. I hope I have chosen the appropriate topic.
I have owned a 2012 I-Miev for about a year.
During that time I have successfully charged the car using the Mitsubishi supplied Level 1 “brick”, Chademo rapid charge and my Siemens Versicharge wall charger.
I recently purchased a type 2 to type 1 cable and attempted to charge the car from Chargefox chargers in Adelaide city and Port Adelaide without success. The car responds to the Chargefox app and chargers but all that happens is the car cooling fan runs for a few seconds (normal) but the car red charging light flashes for a few seconds and then goes out. The car does not charge and the app does not show the car charging. I have spoken to Chargefox and they advise me there is nothing wrong with their equipment.
Assuming I had a faulty cable I have attempted to charge the car at the Adelaide Airport car park using the tethered J1772 connector. The charger shows a “connect your car” green light and when connected the cooling fan runs for a few seconds, the car red charging light flashes for a few seconds and then goes out, but once again the car does not charge.
An OBD scan using CarScanner Pro shows a diagnostic code " U1113 (ECU: 725), Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id".
Before I seek the help of Mitsubishi, does anyone on the forum have a solution?
Welcome to the iMiEV club.
After the failures at public chargers,have you tried your own cable with the brick again?
I do not understand why you should need an adapter if your car is from 2012 and not from 2010.
Have you checked that you have all 5 pins in the J1772 socket ?
If not, that would explain why it wont charge on a public station (not compliant).
By any chance ,do you know how much your "brick"cable draws from the grid. It should be about 8 A, if more than 12A it is like my 2010, and you may have to get an after market harness from the J1772 inlet socket to the EV-ECU and charger connector.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

I think BeeWBee may be talking about a type2 (Mennekes) to type 1 (J1772) adapter?
I would have thought if it works on the Mitsubishi EVSE (cable with brick) and a 3rd party wall charger (Siemens) it should have the PWM signalling (or at least the control pilot resistor) required to work on a public charger?

I'm not sure the OBD diagnostic code is related to the charging, or just not finding a combustion engine in the car.
BeeWBee
Noobie

Post by BeeWBee »

To confirm:
I purchased a type2 (Mennekes) to type 1 (J1772) cable.
The J1772 socket on the car is 5 pin.
Attachments
J1772 socket on car.jpg
J1772 socket on car.jpg (334.47 KiB) Viewed 768 times
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

BeeWBee wrote: Sat, 27 Jun 2020, 09:14 To confirm:
I purchased a type2 (Mennekes) to type 1 (J1772) cable.
The J1772 socket on the car is 5 pin.
Is the car charging on any public J1772 charger (BMW /Nissan dealer?) or on an ordinary 10 A (with an Ampfibian) or 15 A powerpoint?
BeeWBee
Noobie

Post by BeeWBee »

Yesterday, I inspected what I believed to be the "maintenance free" 12v auxiliary battery. It was very low in electrolyte and I had to add a significant amount of distilled water. Subsequently I purchased a new 12v battery and after a top up charge using my CTEK charger I installed it in the car. This morning I was able to charge the car using my cable in Port Adelaide and Adelaide city (Franklin Street) at the Chargefox public charging stations. Happiness. It would appear the auxiliary battery was the culprit. I thank nuggetgalore and mark_hetho for their comments.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

Wow, we can blame the 12V battery for a lot of ills apparently!

Once the charging session starts, the DC-DC converter should keep the voltage up, but I suppose without enough voltage the car can't quite get to that point.