Outlander PHEV Aspire question

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
TimH
Noobie

Outlander PHEV Aspire question

Post by TimH » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 21:39

Can anyone with an Australian 2014/15 Aspire please answer me this:

1. Can you pre-cool the car on a hot day with the associated android app? Does it need to be plugged in and charging to do so (that would basically mean only while at home)... I'm in Qld and often cars are baking hot after being parked in the sun whilst out and about. I want to know if it can be pre-cooled remotely or not.

2. Does the adaptive cruise control work in stop-start traffic, or does it not work in <60km/hr speeds? I heard there was a recent software change that removed the ability to work in stop-start traffic.

It's difficult to find up-to-date information on these questions for Australian conditions. These aspects would make a big decision on me buying one.

Thanks in advance.

rhills
Site Admin

Re: Outlander PHEV Aspire question

Post by rhills » Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 00:44

Hi Tim,

You can operate the climate control via the remote app for heating or cooling. I believe it works whether the vehicle is plugged in or not, though I haven't tested this on mine. Some of the limitations that prevent me from using this feature myself much at all include:
  1. The range between your app and the phone is a bit limited (about 20m max in my experience). Also, when your phone is connected to the Outlander (via WiFi) it can't connect to the internet;
  2. The app functionality is a bit klunky; you can't just tap something to cool your car to 25° for the next 15 mins, you have to "schedule" it to start and then turn on the scheduler (or else have it come on at the same time each day you set it for);
  3. The climate control chews up quite a bit of power and eats into your range unless you're plugged in while running it.
WRT the Adaptive Cruise control, it's the beez kneez and one of the best features of this vehicle IMHO, right up there with the EV traction and the seamless way the vehicle manages transition between EV, charging, regenerative braking and ICE traction! WRT the Adapting Cruise Control working in stop-start traffic, the answer is yes and no! You have to be doing over 40kph to set the cruise control, but once started, it will happily slow the vehicle to a halt if the vehicle in front stops. However, as soon as it does stop for more than a second or so, a warning appears on the dash saying "put your foot on the brake" (or something similar) and the cruise control disengages. However if the vehicle in front doesn't quite stop, or it pauses very briefly, the adaptive cruise control will happily shadow it, slowing down, pausing briefly and then accelerating again as the vehicle in front takes off. Also, if you have previously "set" the cruise control, it will happily "resume" from quite slow speeds (definitely below 40kph), though I've not tested it to see if there's any lower limit to this.

Stop-start traffic is almost fun with this gizmo (says someone who doesn't commute to work daily!)

HTH,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019
Total Petrol: 646.6L
ODO: 47979
Av Consumption: 1.35 L/100km

Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights » Sat, 04 May 2019, 19:45

yes, you can set the car to pre heat, or cool, when its not plugged in, the car will give you a warning, saying that it might stop if the battery power is not sufficient. i set mine to pre cool every afternoon about 20 mins before i get off work, and have about 5km of range left when i arrive at work. it seams to take about 3 to 5 km of range to pre cool, and i have no charging available at work.
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev

TimH
Noobie

Post by TimH » Tue, 07 May 2019, 14:19

Thank you Rob and ultralights for the responses.
I've finally got a 2014 PHEV Aspire, and slowly getting used to it.
I'm having no luck getting even close to connecting to the app though. I have the password but nothing happens when I press the keyfob 10 times (meant to be some beeps), although it's not really critical to have the app as you've described.
The ACC isn't quite working too well, seems to be a problem with the contacts on the steering wheel buttons I think, as I just can't get it to set the speed.
Other than that, it's going well. So much tech and info to get used to though.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Tue, 07 May 2019, 15:44

Hi Rob and ultralights,

Just an ultralight-hearted question :)

If Jeanie from "I dream of Jeanie" popped into the room and aside from the obvious answer to her question "What is your wish, Master??", Where she could instantly replace your aspire with one of the current battery jobs, come on, it's so easy, don't think twice - would you let her blink a Hyundai EV or a Renault EV or a Tesla 3. You get the idea :) :)

Or would you have to think about it.

Ultralights
Groupie

Post by Ultralights » Tue, 07 May 2019, 16:31

TM3 for sure.
PHEV, i-Miev, Youtube @SydEV, Twitter @Sydney_ev Insta @Sydney_ev

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 08:28

TimH wrote:
Tue, 07 May 2019, 14:19
...I've finally got a 2014 PHEV Aspire, and slowly getting used to it...
Congratulations, hope you're enjoying it, despite the buglets.
TimH wrote:
I'm having no luck getting even close to connecting to the app though. I have the password but nothing happens when I press the keyfob 10 times (meant to be some beeps), although it's not really critical to have the app as you've described.
I've always found you have to hold your mouth exactly right to get the app to connect :lol: I suggest you keep trying whenever you think of it and have the time to spare. You need to alternate between the two buttons on the key fob fairly quickly, but as evenly and smoothly as possible so I found it usually takes a few goes to get it right, but then I'm not that well co-ordinated :-(

It's a while since I last tried, but IIRC, you also have to make sure your first connection happens via the App, not via your phone's wifi connection functionality. The next time you try, maybe check beforehand and see if your phone's WiFi has "remembered" the connection and then make it forget just before you start the app.
TimH wrote:
The ACC isn't quite working too well, seems to be a problem with the contacts on the steering wheel buttons I think, as I just can't get it to set the speed.
Other than that, it's going well. So much tech and info to get used to though.
Hmmm, hopefully something you can get sorted under warranty (if purchased from a dealer). If bought privately, might just be some dirty contacts so may be worth trying to carefully remove the cover from the centre of the wheel to have a look.

Good Luck!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019
Total Petrol: 646.6L
ODO: 47979
Av Consumption: 1.35 L/100km