i-Miev spare parts

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
mark_hetho
Groupie

i-Miev spare parts

Post by mark_hetho »

Hi All,

We've been informed the 'Caster' (sic) bushes on the front left lower control arm are looking like they've suffered some wear on our 2010 i-MIEV. Apparently these are only available as part of the whole control arm assembly, which would be about $915 in parts and labour. Apparently no-one sells the bushes by themselves.

So, whilst I'd pay the $915 if it was the only option, I'm wondering if it is possible these match a more commonly available part on another model or make? The other possibility is perhaps in a larger i-MIEV market (Japan or Norway) the bushes are more likely to be available as a replacement part outside the assembly.

I wonder also if anyone else has encountered this?

Regards,
Mark
TooQik
Groupie

i-Miev spare parts

Post by TooQik »

These guys are the only listing for bushes for an I-Miev that I can find:

http://auto-parts.com.au/mab-da1s-front ... t-arm.html

If you click on the bush picture and view the second diagram it lists the MAB-020 and MAB-021 as the castor bushes but if you search these bushes on their site it does not list them as fitting the I-Miev specifically, but it might be worth contacting them and confirming.
mark_hetho
Groupie

i-Miev spare parts

Post by mark_hetho »

I'm not sure how you found that, I have spent some time looking! Thanks!

At least they have images of the part on their site, I can take a look at the part on the car to see if it looks similar. At this price it's a preventative maintenance item more so than a replace when failed.
Johny

i-Miev spare parts

Post by Johny »

Found it on eBay. Says for Volvo but part number is MAB-DA1S as per previous link.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VOLVO-S40-Fr ... 1915515291
Johny

i-Miev spare parts

Post by Johny »

You could also look at Nolathane (religious arguments notwithstanding). Nolathane are easier to fit in this case as they press in from either side - still have to press the old ones out though.
I searched for Volvo S40 Mk2. Hopefully the auto-parts description is correct and it also fits iMiev.

(I don't like Nolathane much even though I'll be using them on the Vogue.)
http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.ph ... F2004-2012
Adverse Effects

i-Miev spare parts

Post by Adverse Effects »

could you just remake your own??

[tube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4vPyhl1r7g[/tube]
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 07 Feb 2017, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
TooQik
Groupie

i-Miev spare parts

Post by TooQik »

Here's the rear bush for the front control arm:

http://febest.com.au/REAR_ARM_BUSHING_FRONT_ARM/MAB-066

I overlooked it last night when searching.
Last edited by TooQik on Tue, 07 Feb 2017, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Johny

i-Miev spare parts

Post by Johny »

TooQik wrote: Here's the rear bush for the front control arm:

http://febest.com.au/REAR_ARM_BUSHING_FRONT_ARM/MAB-066

I overlooked it last night when searching.
Good find. They have the front one as well (MAB-DA1S) and appear to validate that the front one is the same as that for Volvo S40.
mark_hetho
Groupie

i-Miev spare parts

Post by mark_hetho »

Thanks for the great finds everyone!
martinwinlow
Noobie

Re: i-Miev spare parts - Control Arm Bushes

Post by martinwinlow »

Hi,

Apologies to those who may be offended by resurrecting this old thread.

I have a rattling suspension on my 2009 i-MiEV which appears to be coming from the rear bush located in what the workshop manual calls the 'Control Arm'. It sounds like it is the offside one that is making the noise but I plan to replace both sides.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm (see pic) that I need the item referred to earlier in this thread as 'MAB-066'?

Am I right in thinking the bush is a press-fit?
Attachments
i-MiEV Front NS wishbone.png
i-MiEV Front NS wishbone.png (45.25 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
rhills
Site Admin

Re: i-Miev spare parts - Control Arm Bushes

Post by rhills »

Hi Martin,
martinwinlow wrote: Sat, 16 Apr 2022, 22:09 Apologies to those who may be offended by resurrecting this old thread.
I can't answer your question, sorry, but I will say we don't get stressed here about people resurrecting old threads.

Some consider it recycling!! :lol:
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
martinwinlow
Noobie

Re: i-Miev spare parts

Post by martinwinlow »

I'm glad to hear it. I really don't understand why an old thread should not be resurrected if it potentially helps someone else in the future - isn't that why we are all posting stuff in the first place?

I'm a bit surprised I've not had a more fulsome response. This must be a relatively common failure for the older cars. Nothing on the myimiev forum either...
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Might not be common enough. Mines got 190k on the clock and the bushes are all in pretty good condition.
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

I should have updated this thread with how it turned out! I got a second opinion from a trusted mechanic who suggested that the tyre shop advising of the wear was just trying to drum up extra business. 30,000 km later and no issues.

Happy for the thread to get ressurected - To me the point of forums is that (unlike social media) it tends to create a useful reference at a later point in time.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

martinwinlow wrote: Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 16:56 I'm glad to hear it. I really don't understand why an old thread should not be resurrected if it potentially helps someone else in the future - isn't that why we are all posting stuff in the first place?

I'm a bit surprised I've not had a more fulsome response. This must be a relatively common failure for the older cars. Nothing on the myimiev forum either...
I'd be checking all the bolts for tightness and the nut that holds the strut insert in place before looking at replacing bushes. If there is a "loose" problem, including one caused by a worn bush, there will be light rusty marks around the problem area.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
martinwinlow
Noobie

Post by martinwinlow »

Hi Mark,

I've got to change the front brake pads so I'll have another look before I start taking the suspension apart.

MW.
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
Clive
Noobie

Post by Clive »

Hi Martin,

Did you fix the rattle? Mine has a pretty horrible rattle from the front offside, certain road surfaces really get it going. I noticed the rearmost bush on the control arm looked quite perished (cracked) so hopefully that's the cause if a new £5 bush can be pressed in. Nice to be able to change just a bush instead of a whole arm!

Clive

'12 Ion, 51k
martinwinlow
Noobie

Post by martinwinlow »

Hi Clive, It's still on my to-do list, I'm afraid. I've recently replaced all 4 tyres and front pads on my car. The rattle is annoying but not sufficiently so to warrant spending the time at the moment time to fix it. I have now got 2 sets of bushes as we have another 3 i-MiEVs here on the island and I drove one of them the other day that has an identical rattle to mine. Putting it up on the lift to check the brakes, I see it's rear bushes have the same worn, perished (as you say) look as mine, if not worse. I'll update this thread in due course - probably towards the end of June.
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

Our car has had a rattle in the front passenger side brake calipers for some time. Our mechanic says it's not a practical issue so much as an annoyance. It's a fairly distinctive tinny rattle that is very obvious with the passenger window wound down at low speeds. It may be a different issue, but it makes me curious seeing the descriptions above.
martinwinlow
Noobie

Post by martinwinlow »

There is nothing ‘tinny’ about my rattle (I can feel it in my very bowels!) and callipers are very sound (having replaced the pads a couple of weeks back).
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
mark_hetho
Groupie

Post by mark_hetho »

O K

Sounds like something very different then!
Clive
Noobie

Post by Clive »

martinwinlow wrote: Thu, 19 May 2022, 21:11 There is nothing ‘tinny’ about my rattle (I can feel it in my very bowels!) and callipers are very sound (having replaced the pads a couple of weeks back).
Any progress Martin?

I have been browsing Japanese owner reviews and maintenance blogs thanks to Google translate. This one looks interesting as a potential source of suspension rattles:

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/smart/use ... /note.aspx

This would fit with my rattle as it doesn't need a pothole or sharp edge to make it rattle, any flat but roughly surfaced bit of road (old fashioned tar and chippings) will get it going.
martinwinlow
Noobie

Post by martinwinlow »

Interestingly, one of our resident petrol-heads thought this might be the issue with mine (and one of the other 3 i-mievs here that has a similar rattle). It is possible but I won't know until I have replaced the - clearly worn - lower control arm rear joints and they look a lot easier to get to. If the noise is still there then I'll look at the 'upper strut mounts'.
Regards,
Martin Winlow
(EVBitz.uk)
Isle of Colonsay
Scotland
adoepner
Noobie

Post by adoepner »

For anybody reading this, I have a pair of Aus/Japan/EU control arms that I ordered in error. I have a North American car and the control arms are different. I will sell for best offer and ship worldwide.

Andrew