Gaining extra range

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
zzcoopej
Groupie

Gaining extra range

Post by zzcoopej » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 22:43

iDaVID wrote: if someone else can please charge their 12 v battery
I just put a DMM on my 12v and it read 13.02V about 30 mins after being driven. The iMiEV had been driven about 12km earlier today and the traction batt was not charged last night.
No point in putting my 12v on charge?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com

iDaVID
Groupie

Gaining extra range

Post by iDaVID » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 14:06

offgridQLD wrote: I did the test yesterday and charged my battery. It charged for about 1 min until it was full. As the Imiev already charges the 12v battery both when your driving and when it's main battery is being charged.

So I'm not sure what your asking fellow imiev owners to do. Charge a battery that's already charged?

If for some reason your own personal imiev had a flat 12v battery or at least one that could take a significant charge then your imiev is not working as intended (not charging it's own 12v bat) or you have some kind of 12v idle load that's draining the battery when the car is stationary and not on charge.

Kurt

Well it's odd that when I did the 12 v charge yesterday, for the second time, like you there was no effect on range. But when I did it, as explained, 2 weeks ago, no doubt I gained about 10 kms range.

So we've established one certainly with this in one respect.

Yet if someone else, who has had an unexplained drop in range, checks their 12 v battery and charges it, they may share my experience of gaining their range back.

Otherwise it's just a one off and just particular to my car
Last edited by iDaVID on Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

iDaVID
Groupie

Gaining extra range

Post by iDaVID » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 14:08

zzcoopej wrote:
iDaVID wrote: if someone else can please charge their 12 v battery
I just put a DMM on my 12v and it read 13.02V about 30 mins after being driven. The iMiEV had been driven about 12km earlier today and the traction batt was not charged last night.
No point in putting my 12v on charge?

Well if the 12 v battery is fully charged, and in your case it sounds like it is, given what Kurt has done along with myself (with the second charge I did), it will probably have no effect. Then again there's no harm in trying and see what happens.

antday
Noobie

Gaining extra range

Post by antday » Mon, 30 Nov 2015, 05:31

Ok, have 2010 imiEV with range ~ 80km most of the time. In fact it increased inexplicably, having had the car for three years , a few months ago ( in middle of winter ... ) by about 5km and has been consistently higher since then.
I'm going to disconnect the 12V batt and charge it since I have a 12V charger and report back.

iDaVID
Groupie

Gaining extra range

Post by iDaVID » Mon, 30 Nov 2015, 14:30

antday wrote: Ok, have 2010 imiEV with range ~ 80km most of the time. In fact it increased inexplicably, having had the car for three years , a few months ago ( in middle of winter ... ) by about 5km and has been consistently higher since then.
I'm going to disconnect the 12V batt and charge it since I have a 12V charger and report back.

Please report back and see how you go.

Do note that I didn't disconnect the 12v battery when I charged it the first time around

chris
Groupie

Gaining extra range

Post by chris » Mon, 30 Nov 2015, 23:26

If I am correct there is a difference between float charge and proper two to three stage charging of lead acid batteries. The charger in the imiev would have to be a float charger. ie it takes the battery to a safe float voltage only. A proper charger will go past the float voltage which is usually only about 80% charge. ie it will go past the float voltage to just under the gassing voltage while monitoring the current till it reaches a low current corresponding to 100% charge when it will then cut back the voltage to the safe float level.

Why charging the 12v battery increased the range I don't know. I think it has more to do with the change in tyre pressure. The electronics probably calculate the expected distance from previous power usage buffering the display over a number of days or maybe weeks. This could explain why some time after pumping up the tyre pressure the car took the lower power usage to be a permanent change and adjusted the expected range up accordingly. To test this, drop your pressures back down to 19psi as see if after some time the car starts displaying the shorter range like before. Then pump up the tyres to 38psi and see if the range increases back up after some time.