Spare Wheel for Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
TassieM
Noobie

Post by TassieM » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 00:50

I liked the thought of carrying a spare wheel for my Outlander PHEV as some places I regularly go to do not have mobile phone coverage. I bought a steel rim plus tyre that gives me the same running diameter as the PHEV alloy wheel plus standard PHEV tyre and carried the spare in the back. However on some occassions I have needed the internal luggage space. I have bought a "Tyre Trek" unit that fits in the tow bar and swings away to allow me to open the PHEV tail gate. I have a hitch pin lock to prevent theft of the unit and lock nuts to prevent theft of the wheel. The unit I bought is non-standard in that it has no tube extending through the wheel as the PHEV alloy wheels have only a small central hole. The unit also has no fittings for carrying jerry cans, jacks or shovels to keep the weight down.ImageImage

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 01:23

If the tyre is going to live there for years it needs UV protection. Not a big deal if you only take it on special trips.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 05:42

For those who, like me, want to learn more about this, here's their website:
http://www.tyretrek.com.au/product.html.
As far as I can see from your photos TassieM, you had to move your number plate to the holder that comes with the Tyre Trek, but how is the number plate light wired up?

Also, the blurb suggests that reversing cameras may be affected, your photos suggest that more than half of the reversing camera's field is lost, is that your experience?

Thanks for the post, very interesting.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019
Total Petrol: 646.6L
ODO: 47979
Av Consumption: 1.35 L/100km

TassieM
Noobie

Post by TassieM » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 19:20

In Tasmania you can buy a "bike rack" number plate for about $17 if something you attach to the rear of the vehicle obscures the regular plate (which for us has remained in its original position). The Tyre Trek has a place to fix the additional plate and comes with a LED number plate light. I wired it up to a plug that inserts into the vehicle's rear socket (that takes the trailer plug). I used cable ties to hold the cable and enough cable to allow the unit to open smoothly.

The reversing camera is partially obscured by the Tyre Trek unit and you have to turn the reversing alarm off each time you back up.

We only use the Tyre Trek carrier for special trips when we need the internal luggage space, such as when we have 5 persons plus their luggage in the vehicle or when we take the dog in the back. We also have a cargo barrier. The Tyre Trek unit attaches and removes easily.

The Tyre Trek is insurance against being trapped in the bush with a split in a tyre's side wall and no phone coverage.

Zoran
Noobie

Post by Zoran » Fri, 28 Aug 2015, 01:47

This is an excellent idea for when I want to go camping, bit uneasy about no having a spare. My PHEV didn't come with a tow bar so I'm going to need to price up one of those first. Maybe aftre the solar panels are installed :)

MelPhev
Noobie

Post by MelPhev » Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 17:16

Hi TassieM,

I also have an Outlander PHEV and will be moving up to Karratha soon. I can't wait to be driving out to Karijini, but I'm worried about not having a spare tyre. The puncture kit won't be much use if the tyre blows! So I was really pleased to see your solution. Would you mind sharing the price?? And is it really that easy to remove/ replace? I would be taking it off and on weekly so it'd be good if it is easy to do :)

Thanks in advance,
Mel   

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 21:58

Probably a good move. A friend of mine destroyed 3 tyres on his outback in one trip to Karijini a few years ago, at least one on the rail access track from Karratha.

MelPhev
Noobie

Post by MelPhev » Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 22:22

3???? Geez that's scary! I hope he was okay?

Well I phoned the Tyre Trek company here in Perth and was quoted about $1395!!! Not a cheap option. Especially seeing that I have a tow bar already and would have to change it to a hitch!! Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and carry a spare inside the car!

Thinking a Sat phone might be essential too now- I certainly couldn't carry 3 spare tyres Image

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 03:20

Probably depends at least partly on how you drive up there. We spent a month in the Pilbara last year in a rented RAV4 and did one tyre which the repairer in Karratha reckoned was barely legal anyway.

We travelled at "grey nomad" pace everywhere: Pulled over whenever someone came hurtling up from behind, saw lots more of the countryside and had one of our most relaxed holidays ever. We also had talking books running non-stop which helped eat up the kilometers, even at sub-speed-limit speeds. Like most of us, I've spent much of my life driving with the belief that speed limits were made to be broken. EVs have helped me realise there's a better way by rewarding me for driving carefully (much better range).

It's now quite fun to pull over regularly and watch my alter-egos hurl past, their blood-pressures and lives boiling away merrily!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019

MelPhev
Noobie

Post by MelPhev » Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 03:34

So very true. I've definitely changed my driving style with the PHEV! I certainly don't plan on hurtling around, but I've heard that the road down to Karijini isn't the nicest, and would be a single female mostly travelling by myself, so it never hurts to be prepared :)
Thanks for the reply :)

Last edited by MelPhev on Mon, 26 Oct 2015, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 07:05

Hi Mel,
I think that so long as you have four good tyres on your vehicle with a spare in the back if you can fit it, and you treat the roads there and your vehicle with care you'll have a superb and safe time in one of the world's more spectacular places. The road from Newman to most of the highlights of Karijini are bitumen now and were being extended while we were there. Finally, while most pooh-pooh the puncture repair spray can that comes with the vehicle, I'd get myself two or three extra for additional insurance: they won't fix all punctures, but they'll get you out of trouble often enough. Oh and get one of those light-weight, disposable overalls and some gloves. You can guarantee that if you do get a puncture the car and wheels will be filthy when you have to change/repair the tyre. Do all that preparation and you'll almost guarantee you'll have no problems.

I hope you enjoy Karijini as much as we did. Our PHEV wasn't even run in when we went last year so my wife vetoed the idea of taking it. We'll definitely be taking the PHEV next time we go though.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019

MelPhev
Noobie

Post by MelPhev » Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 19:29

Hi Rob,

That's a great piece of advice- I'll look into the overalls and gloves. I'm already looking into buying a little 'survival' pack, so I'll add these things to the list :) I saw the puncture repair gel bottles for sale in BCF so I'll get a spare bottle to add to the pack. I'm trying to get as organised as possible before my move up there in January :)

The car is virtually brand new- I bought a demo with only 4000 kms on the clock just a few months ago. I'm only just about to get the first service so I'm hoping the tyres will be fine for a while yet :)

I'm sure I will enjoy my time up there- I have spent a fortune on camping gear as well as nudge bar, lights, roof racks for the car. I'm hoping to make the most of the weekends and get to Milstream/ Karijin most weekends for some adventure/ chill out time :)

Once again, thanks for your advice :)
Last edited by MelPhev on Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 01:05

My friend was OK, he managed to get the first one replaced, before the second happened, I can't remember what happened with the third, possibly it had a huge bulge but was still drivable. Quite low profile tyres but I suspect the PHEV is the same. Have a look at Delorme Inreach too if you are considering a sat phone, allows 2 way sms messages via satellite, and supposed to be a bit more reliable than SPOT.

http://www.findmespot.net.au/delorme-inreach-se/

MelPhev
Noobie

Post by MelPhev » Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 19:48

Thanks Mike- I'll check it out :)

Johny

Re: Spare Wheel for Outlander PHEV

Post by Johny » Thu, 04 Apr 2019, 17:18

Does anyone know what brand and size steel rim tassiem used as his spare. We will be towing our Avan to Alice Springs next year and a spare is in order I think.