Safety and paying your way

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Conklinc
Noobie

Post by Conklinc » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 14:38

Interestingly,In the U.S., Rhode Island, not particularly known for progressive legislation, is proposing that EV's get special, readily identifiable license plates.

The reasoning is that EV's can potentially pose a lethal hazard to emergency and first responders if the power cables are exposed or otherwise compromised.

Makes sense to me.

Another issue looming large on the horizon, one that does bother me as an EV owner, is the fact that the EV owner/driver pays literally nothing towards creation of new, and maintenance of existing, ROADS. That is going to have to change if and when EV's become common. I know the CA legislature has been mulling over the issue. I think the first efforts to extract some sort of tax for roads from EV's will prolly occur in Japan. It will be interesting to see how they go about doing it.

It could be hard to do if the EV owner/driver uses personal solar or wind generation to fuel his/her vehicle. My guess is that in the States the state governments will uptake the already required mileage reporting during annual vehicle safety inspections and tax assess at that time. Such inspections are becoming the norm in the U.S. They are literally an annual roadworthy certificate requirement for yearly licensing of the the vehicle.
Towards sustainability

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:28

I've got an idea, lets all keep using fossil fuels, and when we run out of that we wont need roads. Fair dinkum, how about cutting us a break, it isn't cheap to build an EV, nor to maintain it since you have to periodically change the battery pack. How about if you want to drive a atmosphere polluter you pay double. That way people trying to make a difference get a fair go.

Johny

Post by Johny » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:40

Conklinc wrote:... is the fact that the EV owner/driver pays literally nothing towards creation of new, and maintenance of existing, ROADS.
Hasn't it been established that Trucks, Buses and Tonka_toys (4WDs that never see a dirt road) place the most wear and tear on roads.

EVs generally by their very nature are lighter vehicles.

Not sure why, as an EV driver you would want to "pay your way" to an unbalanced system. Perhaps it's time to start taxing vehicle weight to pay for roads. The Landrover Discovery 3 weighs around 2.7 tonnes and the lady up the street drives her's around all the time - just her and her dog....
I think she should pay 2.54 times what I do toward road maintenance (Vogue weighs 1060kg).

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:43

Conklinc wrote:Another issue looming large on the horizon, one that does bother me as an EV owner, is the fact that the EV owner/driver pays literally nothing towards creation of new, and maintenance of existing, ROADS.

why dose it bother you?

we here in Aussie land (in all places as far as i know) still have to pay all of the same fee's to rego a EV or a ICE so what is your problem

hell even if you have a wheelchair you have to rego the dam thing (that is just wrong !!!)

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:45

Adverse Effects wrote:
Conklinc wrote:Another issue looming large on the horizon, one that does bother me as an EV owner, is the fact that the EV owner/driver pays literally nothing towards creation of new, and maintenance of existing, ROADS.

why dose it bother you?

we here in Aussie land (in all places as far as i know) still have to pay all of the same fee's to rego a EV or a ICE so what is your problem

hell even if you have a wheelchair you have to rego the dam thing (that is just wrong !!!)

Not to mention the gov't gets a slice of the pie when 99% of the EV driving population plug it in.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:50

Johny wrote:Hasn't it been established that Trucks, Buses and Tonka_toys (4WDs that never see a dirt road) place the most wear and tear on roads.

i agree something like NET KG X Km per year = rego rate modifier

(fuel consumption moniter fitted to bypass people removing speedo cable/connection)

but one thing that needs to be done as well

make it easer to build(not rebuild) your own car (read light wight car)

been through it once it was hell on earth and very expensive in fee's and a bunch of stupid rules
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 19:57

Conklinc wrote:
Another issue looming large on the horizon, one that does bother me as an EV owner, is the fact that the EV owner/driver pays literally nothing towards creation of new, and maintenance of existing, ROADS.

I pay GST, income tax, rego and council rates. all of these taxes pay for roads. fuel tax is one of the many taxes that pay for our road system.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 20:51

oww and you are paying GST on the what $15K to $30K that you spend on refitting your car to be a EV
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

TooQik
Groupie

Post by TooQik » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 21:45

I agree with Johny, if you want a fair system then base it on vehicle weight. That way the amount paid is not dependent on the power plant type.

To give you an idea of how unbalanced it is now, by converting my WRX to LPG I'm now paying roughly 65% less in fuel taxes (excise and GST) each week at the bowser for the same car doing the same kilometers at roughly the same weight.

Conklinc
Noobie

Post by Conklinc » Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 23:08

You guys have got me thinking, rethinking to be exact. I've heard that the petrol tax goes into the general fund, and is not explicitly reserved for roads, like it is in the States. That makes a big difference, really. And it is certainly true that, while EV's are heavy for their SIZE, they are relatively light compared to most other vehicles on the road. Especially the Piggly-wiggly Image 4WD behemoths. In truth though, the only taxes I pay here are rates and GST, since my income is taxed in the U.S., not here. Blame that on the tax treaty that Oz is anxious to re-negotiate, but Washington sez, "No hurries, Mate!" The treaty is clearly in favor of the U.S., but that is another issue altogether. Road tax is really not an issue right now, but I suspect in 20 years or so it will be. Weight? Km's traveled? It will be interesting to see how the issue is resolved, whate the powers that be at the time consider to be "equitable." Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my solar powered green EV. Petrol stations are no longer places to be feared, just "admired!"   Image
Towards sustainability

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Wed, 27 Aug 2014, 03:26

Petrol stations are no longer places to be feared, just "admired!"    and also a place to pump up the tyres and stop for lunch when travelling :lol: Now, when fuel stations start adding plug in power outlets for EV's things might change a bit, they will probably legislate EV's must have a satellite tracker so they can record the travel distances and add it to the yrly rego, or more likely a fixed amount on your estimate, a refund for the following yr for the amount you don't use and substantial fee for any kms travelled over your submitted estimate to avoid folks under estimating their travel amount.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn