iBOLT Dock’n Drive and the i-MiEV

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 04:03

Just having a play with the Android App iBOLT Dock’n Drive. Seems OK and shells the apps I would normally use in a very convenient simple way that would be useful when driving. It is designed really for the larger format Samsung smartphones but I am using it with an 8” tablet. The tablet doesn’t have phone capabilities so can’t comment on how well the phone part might work. Note I have turned the GPS off for these photos – didn’t want my address shown. Otherwise your location would normally be shown in place of searching (stating the obvious!)

Here are a few sample screens I have setup for testing;

Apps I have setup on the first screen....

Apps I have setup on the second screen....

EVRange Screen....

caniOn Screen....

TuneIn Radio Screen...

There are 5 screens you can setup each with 6 apps. Colours can be set as required.

Bruce
Last edited by CometBoy on Mon, 16 Dec 2013, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 14:44

So are you trying to tempt me to remove the factory stereo and install my 7 inch tablet in the empty space Image

The apps you have shown would cover 95% of what I would need Pandora would be a one adition.

It's just a shame the Nexus 7 v2 I have is such a nice tablet to use out of the car I'm reactant to dedicate it permanently to the Imiev.

Have you had any luck running Canion and streaming music to your stereo via Bluetooth a the same time.

Kurt

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 15:02

how do you change units to kmh?

Found it in settings
<edited>
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 15:10

Will try that stuff out when I get the car Kurt.

My bad, the settings allow either kph or mph.... I forgot to change it.

Not sure how good it actaully is but will play a bit more over the next few days.

Wonder if there is an IOS app for the same sort of job?

Bruce
Last edited by CometBoy on Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 18 Dec 2013, 04:09

OK here is a short YouTube clip of testing the iBOLT App in the i-MiEV.

Test involved streaming BT audio from TuneIn Radio and at the same time running the caniOn app via the BT OBD2 CAN BUS module.

http://youtu.be/vGD0EPFpX6I

Main issue is caniOn does not return to the iBOLT screen directly for some reason? So you need to go back into the iBOLT screen from its icon. If you close caniOn things work OK and it returns to the iBOLT screen but if you want to leave it running in the background (as per what I would normally want to do) then the issue arises. (Hope this makes sense!)

All other apps I linked to iBOLT seemed to work fine. The new Navigation app is great.

In my case I connect the tablet to my iPhone via a Wi-Fi HOT SPOT setup on the iPhone.

Tablet used was a Samsung Note 8.0 - so fairly good processing/multitasking power.

Normal hands free on the i-MiEV worked fine to Sue’s iPhone as previous

Bruce

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 18 Dec 2013, 14:34

Thanks for that, when you had your tablet streaming to the stereo via blue tooth was the canion app only open. Was it actually open and communicating with the OBD dongle (usually shows a communication rate in yellow text around 400 in bottom right corner of the app) Or just running but not communicating.

As from memory thats were I ran into problems as the tablet was trying to communicate with two blue tooth devises a the same time and I had the feeling canion was a very hungry application in regards to the Bluetooth. This could be a Nexus7 blue tooth issue though. It's a powerful tablet but I perhaps there is blue tooth bugs with it.

I had the same Idea of using my Ipone as hot spot and tie it all in.Though my wife kept complaining about all the button pushing and pairing, fiddling that was going on each time before we could just start the car and get going. I will have to give it another try and see if I can get it to all come together a little smoother Image She had the same attitude to our home theater PC I built years ago. It had lots of bugs at first But years later now it's 100% reliable and she thinks it's great.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 18 Dec 2013, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 18 Dec 2013, 14:44

No got data from the caniOn via BT connection fine.

CaniOn is still not the most reliable app I've used.

Bruce

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 18 Dec 2013, 14:52

Ok, I have hit and miss reliability. I have gone for weeks were it will log 2hr drives 100% reliable then I will have a bad day where it will reset 3 times in 1/2 hr.

Get onto the developer, he might ask you to email - supply a log file and do his best to see where things went wrong and iron out bugs. There has been a few updates. Worth a try.

kurt