sun screen

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Peter C in Canberra

sun screen

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 02:13

The iMiEV windscreen is 90cm long but all the windscreen sun shields off the shelf seem to be 60 to 80cm long. After some searching I found this place which makes custom fitted screens including for the iMiEV.
www.westsunshades.com.au

I have not ordered one yet but I think I will want one before the summer arrives.

That could reduce the use of the air con and keep the interior in better condition.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 13:34

Thanks Peter, we have that on our shopping list for summer as well. I have heard his product is good quality and tend to fit better than the universals.

Bruce

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 17:48

Found these at the parts place this morning, a new line for them.

They are perfect height wise but too wide. Nice heavy material and certainly self-support with no problem. We will simple cut to size and re-sew the edging with a good quality fabric ‘bias’ tape. We have done this for shades on the Kombi and it works well.

Grant West emailed back and the best price was $75 plus $9.95 postage. I’m sure they are very nice but... Can buy 4 or 5 of these others for the same price.

Bruce

Gabz

sun screen

Post by Gabz » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 17:54

ask what the volume discount is ?

offgridQLD

sun screen

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 18:16

I think sunshades that fit to the outside of the window are better. The glass it's self doesn't get hot and radiate that heat into the cabin. Not only dose the cabin get hotter when parked compared to a external shade bit it also keeps radiating that heat when you drive away until the AC unit fights it out of the glass.

I agree though that the Imiev can benefit from a sun shade. I avoid parking in the full sun or hot tarmac for long periods where possible.(understand it isn't always practical)

I also noticed than all of the cars I have owned in the past have had a tinted strip along the top 10-15% of the window . The Imiev doesn't have this along with a front windshield that extends up into the roof line more than a typical car exaggerates the effects of no tinted strip.

I am very happy with the dark tinting on the rear door windows and hatch door window. Though the front doors have no factory tinting. So my thinking is I will get the front doors tinted to match the rear doors and perhaps discuss options for a tinted strip along the top of the front windscreen.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Peter C in Canberra

sun screen

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 18:23

I agree that an external shade is more effective except that it is more of a nuisance to fit and consequently will often not be fitted. Also, unless well fitted, can flap about if the wind picks up while you are away from the car. On balance the internal ones work to a worthwhile extent and would actually get used more often, at least in my family.
What was the shop which had the 90cm screen? There might be a local outlet where I am.
Last edited by Peter C in Canberra on Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Tue, 19 Nov 2013, 20:03

Try your nearest AutoPro store

http://autopro.com.au/

The product is:

By PC Procovers

Premium Reflective Sun Shade

Item Number RG2655

Size 90cm x 170cm

Large Windscreen Vehicle model

I have been given one to try so later today I can report back on if it is suitable and if not what needs doing to make it work. Will take a photo as well. Looks like it might actually work without any cutting width wise. The folds could add a lot of addition strength to the fairly tall span.

Bruce

PS I also like the external cover but the ones we have are hopeless, they get really soft on the hot days and sag badly. Maybe the designs are better now? The internal ones are just so easy.

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re Sun Shade for i-MiEV

Took the 900mm high shade back as it was far too big for the inside of the car. It could be used and cut down for a perfect fit if you wanted to take the time.

In its place, I purchased an 800mm x 1400mm shade by the same company. The Item number is RG2645 and once again AutoPro sell them for around $14 to $16 retail.

It required a slight modification to the bottom corners – see ‘A’ below. The ‘Bias’ tape can be reused from the offcut as the new radius is shorter. Just need someone with a sewing machine.

The suction cups ‘B’ could be removed.

Bruce

neilg
Groupie

sun screen

Post by neilg » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 05:07

Years ago I used a simple piece of reflector backed curtain material (lasted for years and was cheap) which went over the whole screen and a bit of the roof and into the door openings. Doors held it taught.
Hop in, pop pgr door and pull into the cabin but watch out it could be HOT.
Neil

Johny

sun screen

Post by Johny » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 14:21

CometBoy wrote: Re Sun Shade for i-MiEV
Nicely documented.

Peter C in Canberra

sun screen

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 14:28

AutoPro in Belconnen, Canberra did not have either of those 'PC Procover' brand screens.

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 15:14

Sorry apparently AutoPros are independently owned, I assume they drew on common stock but the local guys say no.

I would try Pro-Kit next in Canberra they have a number of outlets I think.

Bruce

Peter C in Canberra

sun screen

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Mon, 02 Dec 2013, 16:03

I could not find a longer sunscreen in Canberra so I just ordered the more expensive but made to fit one from www.westsunshades.com.au.
I certainly is a neat fit and I would recommend it. The material does not appear to be any fancier than the usual cheaper screens but what you are paying for is to have it accurately fitted to the shape of your windscreen and then neatly trimmed. You could do it yourself, particularly if you can not find the almost long enough 85cm screen to start from, but for not much money you can save yourself some bother.
I expect it might work a little better than a non-fitted screen just because it does not have the large unavoidable gaps through which convection could more easily transfer heat to the rest of the car from the space between the window and the screen.

CometBoy
Groupie

sun screen

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 04 Dec 2013, 19:18

Peter glad your sunshade works 100%.

Did it end up costing around $90 in the end?

How small does it fold up when not being used?

Any chance of a photo open and folded?

Cheers
Bruce

Peter C in Canberra

sun screen

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Wed, 04 Dec 2013, 23:13

Here are the photos that I was sent by the manufacturer (www.westsunshades.com.au). It actually sits a bit flatter and fits a bit better than it seems in the photo. The price was $72+9.55 postage = $81.55. The material and the way it folds up is the same as the ordinary cheaper ones. The difference is that this one fits well against the glass.