OEM or Aftermarket spot/fog lights

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 12:43

Anyone found a source for the spot/fog light option/accessory for the front bar on the i?

I think there are a few options including a daytime running/fog lights with LED version.

Hole diameter is about 80mm.

Does the standard model come pre-wired?

What is hole ‘1’ for??

Just thought someone might have been here before me....

Bruce

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 16:13

Local Mitsubishi spare parts quoted $371 for the pair of DRLs. But they were only 55W QI lamps... what a waste. It appears that these were fitted in the US variant of the i.
LEDs must be the go, a few W max.

The iMiEV wiring harness is already set up correctly for DRLs i.e. on when emotor on and off when headlights are on.... unlike all the losers who drive around with their fog lights on when their headlights are on. The latter is a real glare issue for oncomming vehicles and actually breaches the ADRs for front lighting.

On that point... why on earth the ADRs didn't simply state that the headlights and fog lights MUST be mutually exclusive in the switching/wiring I really don't know. It is left to the lack of intelligence of the 'look at me I'm cool' drivers who switch both on. Image

The hole (1) is for the mounting screw that holds the DRL in the bumper.

This is from workshop manual :-

The 2 pin connector for the DRL is dangling just inside the bumper cavity behind A.
That is the limit of my investigation. Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 16:31

Thanks that’s a great start acmotor...

I will have a play with some LEDs low current loads and get back.
Also thanks for confirming the mounting arrangement.

Only problem I don’t see the vehicle much!

Bruce

Hippie403
Groupie

Post by Hippie403 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 18:15

I think the US DRL kit comes with a new lighting control stalk, presumably a new switch position for turning on the DRL. I wonder if
there are any LHD v RHD issues if you get a US kit?

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 02:30

They are not DRLs if you can turn them off !!!
Only the switching of Park/headlights on should turn DRLs off of the vehicle is in 'ready'

A kit with modified stalk is probably for fog lights ?

edit:spelling
Last edited by acmotor on Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 04:15

I did see some for sale on ebay US a few weeks ago.The kit had the new stalk and mounting hardware. They were selling it as a genuine part.

I don't mind the stock lights on the Imiev. I was quite happy they were well adjusted (unlike a lot of cars even new ones)

We get some real thick fog at times in the hills that brings you to a crawl.Most of the roads are single lane. Single lane As in pull off one wheel on the shoulder if some one is coming the other way. I'm not sure if any light would help even the tinted/colored real fog lights would just reflect back when its real thick.

Looking at the front end. Has anyone fitted any kind of grill? The AC condenser looks so exposed.

Kurt

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 04:42

Mine doesn't have those holes!
Chalk up another difference on 2010 vs 2012.....

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 12:27

OK I think this sums it up:

‘The DRL's are a miniature bulb and are on all the time the headlights are NOT on . . . . . You cannot turn them off. The foglights are a separate, much more powerful halogen bulb which are only on when the headlights ARE on, and only then if you manually turn them on. If you use the foglights, they automatically turn off whenever you use the high beam - They work in conjunction with the low beam headlights only, but you do have the option to either use them or not'

(Copied from a UK i-MiEV forum)

So I think that circuit must be inaccurate acmotor as it only shows 2 wires to each assembly? Did the loom have more than 2 pins for each?

And Hippie403 obviously from this you would need an extra switch to accommodate the Fog circuit which our 12/13 model does not have. So you are correct in your reading.

Bruce

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 15:35

CometBoy wrote: OK I think this sums it up:

‘The DRL's are a miniature bulb and are on all the time the headlights are NOT on . . . . . You cannot turn them off. The foglights are a separate, much more powerful halogen bulb which are only on when the headlights ARE on, and only then if you manually turn them on. If you use the foglights, they automatically turn off whenever you use the high beam - They work in conjunction with the low beam headlights only, but you do have the option to either use them or not'

(Copied from a UK i-MiEV forum)...........

Well..... that statement is an incorrect description of fog light function IMHO. Fog lights need to be on when headlights are off for meaningful fog driving. They have fog in UK right ? Image

All vehicles that I have driven allow the fog lights to be turned on when only the side lights are on, they don't require the headlights to be on. They can also be left on during low (my bug bear and against ADRs) and hi beam headlight use.

Fog lights on during hi beam is not a safety issue for oncomming vehicles though optically is is not always desirable to over illuminate the road close to you at the expense of distance illumination.

If there is any truth to the quote then that in itself would perhaps explain why the fog /DRL unit was not fitted in Australia because the programmed function would be directly againt ADR lighting rules. i.e. fog lights are not to be on when driving at night with low beam on.

More digging in the worshop manual shows (note this is a UK manual) :-
ImageImage

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 15:53

The rules are actually that fogs can be used only with parkers or lows.
They must switch off when headlights go to high.
Driving lights can only come on with high beam.
DRLs are on all the time.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 16:27

carnut1100 wrote: The rules are actually that fogs can be used only with parkers or lows.
They must switch off when headlights go to high.
Driving lights can only come on with high beam.
DRLs are on all the time.

No.No.
Is that what you meant to say ?
I'll dig out the ADR text.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 17:41

All covered in Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 50/00 - Front Fog Lamps) 2006 - F2010C00412

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010C00412

If you get through that you will be going well!

Fogs with High doesn’t seem an issue....

Bruce

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 15:09

Had a look at the wiring and mounting arrangement for the Fog/DRL assembly and here is what I found:

I found that neither connector was ‘live’ under any test condition. So I think the stock that was mentioned as part of the Fog/DRL accessory package overseas is required to facilitate the complete wiring for this assembly. So that was a waste of time! Adding the supporting stock that supports this would be another issue as again it doesn’t have ADR. So I guess for those that might want to add a nice little 80mm DRL LED fitting in those ugly holes, the only option is one of the DRL modules or kits available?

‘B’ (Green) appears to be the Fog connector (it’s has larger gauge wiring) and ‘A’ (Yellow) would be the DRL connector.

Re the mounting, it would seem C1, C2 and C3 are the mounting holes and ‘D’ is for the Fog light physical adjustment access. Acmotor may have a close up view showing the actual mount?

Bruce

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 16:22

Here is a listing for the kit on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-MITS ... 5647f63740

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 16:50

Take care that kit may only be applicable to the US bumper bar. Need to check.

So if the connectors are not live do we need to check that the relays and fuses are fitted in our OZ iMiEVs ?

edit: usual spyln, darn keyboard
Last edited by acmotor on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 17:05

Yep, that is now my thoughts as well. I am only interested in the DRL wiring NOT the Fog combo. I have a DVD service manual on order so once that arrives I can have a look at what needs doing. We would never use Fog lights on the Adelaide plains!

Have you looked at that part of the wiring acmotor?

Btw the parts guy also said MZ314538 is not part of the ADR approval when I asked….. Not sure it maters but the column stock control mod is a concern if you go that way with the kit.

Bruce

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 17:16

I was looking at the relay situation in the manual...

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 17:20

"We would never use Fog lights on the Adelaide plains!"

Are you sure a few months ago our parents got held up for 1/2 a day at Adelaide airport due to fog. Can't say its common though we use to get a lot of it in the Adelaide hills.

Adelaide city

Southern Expressway towards Darlington

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 17:27

Fuse 14 is for the DRLs...

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 17:45

Hey! Both Fog and DRL relays are not fitted! Good one mate!

Guess I need a reference to what they are to proceed. Are they shown as the same part number as one of the currently fitted one serving a different purpose? Might be a start?? I have a few in the workshop - one might even suit. Still only want the DRL functioning...

Bruce

PS Kurt we have been in Adelaide for over 30 years and have never driven in fog! But if we lived in the hills I would consider it. Point taken that it could happen...

Update - I’m thinking the Fog maybe an Omron 8627A008 ISO plugin as per the markings on the others in that row but the DRL has a different base configuration? Also can’t find a listing or reference for the Omron 8627A008 used?
Last edited by CometBoy on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 18:10

Yes it was more just a bit of a stir up and just lucky coincidence that the Adelaide plains happened to have pea soup thick fog event not long ago and I was able to find some pics of it online. I agree it was a rare event for the Adelaide plains.

To be honest I have what is supposed to be factory fog lights on my ute and they are useless in fog, there not driving lights and they are not true fog lights they are just there to tick a box on the sales brochure.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 18:13

We do get fog in my area ..... and negativeintelluctualitus folk who then drive with their high beam and fog lights and driving lights on thinking that the wall of glare in front of them helps their vision ! or that for anyone else.
Fog lights are designed to be low to the road with wide spread local light. Man there is so much research and design in lighting and then it is just left to users to make a mockery of it. Image

Yes, I am only looking for DRLs, though fogs make reasonable DRLs too.

Here is the function diagram for the DRLs. No part number info that I have found for relay yet. The circuit shown earlier in thread gives the relay pinout so a check around should find a generic fit.

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 18:23

Fuse 14 is there - it is a 2 amp fuse.

I show 2 relays one marked ‘Front fog lamp relay’ the other ‘Daytime running lamp relay’. it is those 2 dudes that are not present.

Bruce

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 21:27

Spoke to my friendly Mitsi spare parts person and the DRL relay is different depending on the build date. They seem to stock all the possible variants and price ranges from about $17 to $21 depending on that date. Two day turn around on delivery. I have ordered one for a test and will find out its actual manufacture and relevant part number.

Our build is Jan 12 and apparently earlier models are listed using a different part number so this might not help many i owners on the forum.

I must say I am impressed with their support so far....

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 23:01

Some pics....

All under the 'little bonnet' driver's side (on RHD) edit: on model GB2M44   12MY   built Nov 11     ... for clarity as Bruce pointed out.

Front relay box showing no fog lamp relay (top right of pic)
The 10A DRL fuse (#14) is present and correct.

Rear relay box DRL relay not fitted (B.... top right)

Probing the relay socket, I can confirm that the coil drive signal is there from the ECU with polarity as shown by MM probes and that the signal functions as per DRL function chart in earlier post i.e. ON with emotor ready and off with all other combinations of lights. Note if auto lights selected then DRLs toggle with lights as appropriate.

Battery +12V via fuse is also present wrt chassis as shown by red probe so all looks well there.

Keep us informed Bruce of you spare parts order. Image
Last edited by acmotor on Fri, 15 Nov 2013, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.