New I-Miev owner

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Yet another update on the Volt charge lead.

I have attached a few photos of the item, it is even belter then I had imagined for the price! Pleasant surprise. Uses Intertek's ETL Certification process that seems fairly common now.

http://www.intertek.com/marks/etl/

The wall mounting arrangement is useful and will work well for me. The best thing is the very flexible cable and good strain relief. Cable is marked COROPLAST S0SBQ-F 3X2,5 + 0.75 VDE REG – NR 8491 12/30CE. Comes with a moulded 240 volt 10A plug. The unit is rated at 2300W. High impact plastic is used on the J1772 and the main body/mount; these can be dismantled (with the right appliance service tool). Lead length is 6.4m (or 21 feet). Only issue might be the right angle 240 volt plug – this might not work well in some situations but certainly suits a wall mounted unit.

Bruce

Hippie403
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by Hippie403 »

Does the Volt charge lead charge at 10A? I seem to remember reading something about them only doing 6A.

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Looks good for storage of the cord. I am pedantic about how I use and store my stock EVSE because I don't want to end up with curled up twisted cork screwed cord. It's one of my pet peeves when I see some one wrap up a extension cord around there arm it just wrecks the cord.

I don't like that right angle plug. It's going to be almost imposable to plug it into charge point 15 A public outlets and also a lot of the caravan park power outlet poles.No real loss and if your keen on using the above a extension cord will fix the issue or just replace the plug.

The 2nd thing is it wouldn't have a Ip rating as high as the stock Imiev EVSE that uses the 15A industrial screw plug. If your using it indoors this isn't a issue. I like the industrial screw in plugs as I have the same industrial outlets through out my shed so its a good match.They just seem a little more solid and up to the task even at the same rating as the domestic outlets and plugs. (I know the evse is under 10A but still)

For the price and a new plug it looks good ...oh is the case sealed dose it have a IP rating on it? Just to confirm if its a indoor unit only or not even if you did change the plug...Edit A closer look at the pic I see the unit is IP 66 so just replace the plug and its fine for outdoor use.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 22 Oct 2013, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Good points.

For wall mounting (and not used as the in vehicle cord), the right angle is actually helpful in keeping the package fairly flat against the wall and the 240 volt cable can be ‘P’ clamped near the plug for support out of the power point. And yes the cable can be neatly stored in largish loops. She will just use the OEM charge cable as supplied in the vehicle when charging away from home. The ChargePoint stations used in our Central Market certainly will not take a right angle plug. Likewise they don’t like clear plug covers!

The rapid DC connector will be used on occasion. Is there any data about fast DC charging vs battery life? A few years ago there was some concern.

Also Kurt, did you find Google Maps was actually working on screen 12 of cani0n? Maybe that is a feature not supported yet?

Cheers
Bruce

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes I found out the charge point with the 15A socket under the flap doesn't work with a clear plug end the hard way. I was using a extension cord with a clear end. Had me stumped until I got home and read the tiny print on there web page telling me that a clear plug will not work. You also need to use a extension cord that's as thin as bell wire to be able to close the flap in the lock position to start charging. I had a heavy duty 15 extension cord and the door flap wouldn't close not even with a bit of pressure to deform the insulation. So no chance of closing it with the stock evse cord.

Yes Google maps works on screen 12 but all it dose is finds your location and then paints two light green circles around the cars location on the map. It takes the info from the RR data and the green cycles indicate your range in any direction. The inner cycle is the return trip range and the outer is the one way range. Kind of gimmicky and not much use.

The accuracy of the app while driving and logging looks to be ok but while charging it dosn't stack up . It shows about 1.6kw going into my pack when on the stock charger and 2.2kw is showing at the wall plug. so 600w loss. Same at the public charger 3.1kw showing on the public chargers screen and 2.5kw showing on canion app. So one of two things the app is way off in this regard or we have much more inefficiency in our charging than first expected.

Also the 16 bars on our imiev's dash fuel gauge do not represent 1kwh each. Its more like just over 14kw divided into 16 but even then it isn't evenly divided.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 22 Oct 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

Three thoughts.

First, energy wall to wheel is the number we should work with, not battery to wheel. kW battery to wheel is kinda so-what on its own.

Second, can you drop a clamp meter around the battery cable at the inverter to check that the canion app is getting it right ?

Third, 1.6/2.2 kW is only 72.7% efficiency. I think not !
You would need to log the complete charge cycle anyway and record temperature and coolant pump cycling. Charging in a warmer location will definitely be less efficicient as cooling pump is thermally cued.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes I agree that wall to wheel is what matters. That's why I am concerned that we are not that efficient in charging.Efficiency plug to battery is also important as it's part of the equation. Just having the number that the charger is pulling from the wall doesn't tell us what the battery is actually receiving and trying to use the 16 bars on the dash as a gide is hardly a accurate way to know how many kwh actually got to the battery and stayed.

Yes 72% I know it does sound to bad to be true to me to I was expecting numbers in the 90's but until its proven we don't know. A clamp at the battery cable entrance to the inverter will only record inverters consumption while driving and no other loads like DC/DC converter. The loads while driving match the imievs gauge spot on so I am not so concerned about them.

What we need to measure is when charging and any losses through the charger and powering the system while charging. I would need a clamp on the cable from charger to battery while charging. As long as the reading was taken when the pump wasn't running and in the bulk stage of the charge (not the balancing portion) we should get our answer. I don't need a spot on number just need to see how much of that 2.2kw is getting to the battery. Anyone with a Imiev can do this I don't have a dc clamp meter that I would trust on hand. All my test gear just uses shunts so to difficult to use n this application. So I welcome some one to test this. I'm sure its more than 1.6kw but I need to see it first as who knows until its tested.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 22 Oct 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

g4qber

New I-Miev owner

Post by g4qber »

yes the holden volt EVSE does charge at 10A
it is just that the volt defaults to non-litigious American amperage of 6A
one then has to manually select 10A on the touch screen

the volt tends to pull 10.xxxA, but when volt EVSE is connected to the i-MiEV, current draw is 9.xxxA

note that the 16A label is incorrect.

also
tested the volt EVSE on Brian's LEAF and it doesn't deliver more than 10A.

the volt EVSE is suitable for the 15A Chargepoint Aus bollards without modification.http://www.recargo.com/system/site_phot ... Upload.jpg
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 22 Oct 2013, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Actual got to drive the new purchase today (most likely a rare occurrence!) and very pleased for the dollars spent. Had done only 120km when my partner got it and most of that was her test driving it. The Volt charge cable setup works 100% at home - no issues at all. All setup for low tariff night charging.

Now for another stupid question - Do any Australian delivered i-MiEV’s have AVAS? This base model certainly does not appear to…. No mention in the handbook etc and the dealer knows stuff all about.

PS the factory floor mats and boot protector that got tossed into the deal are very good quality and a perfect fit around. Highly recommended.

Bruce

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

What is AVAS? ....Asian driver avoidance system?

I got floor mats thrown in to date I have been strung along with the line they were on back order.. Hmmm I will have to get onto them again.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Very close!

From the Canadian site:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/vehi ... 12/safety/

‘Because the i-MiEV runs so quietly, it features an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) that’s scientifically engineered to alert pedestrians when it’s driven at low speeds. This innovative warning system emits a sound that is pleasant and perceptible to the human ear.’

Can always roll the windows down and crank the fairly average in-car sound system....

From memory, the I-MiEV catalogue app on the iPad has a demo of the AVAS plus a neat little remote I have never seen anywhere?

On a different topic, is it normal for the range displayed to be 105 km after a charge? Any logic behind this number??

Bruce

The mats are in stock Kurt....

Gabz

New I-Miev owner

Post by Gabz »

CometBoy wrote:
On a different topic, is it normal for the range displayed to be 105 km after a charge? Any logic behind this number??

It's based on the past 24 hours of usage so it'll change after every charge, the largest number I've seen is 140km fully changed after it didn't move for a weekend.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Ok, sounds good, but confused by what is written in the 2012/13 handbook as well?

‘When the traction battery is charged, the cruising range is updated. If the charge level is low, correct value is not displayed.’

The last pack charge in this case (for the 105 Km figure) was from about 50% SOC.

Bruce

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok, Its a bit like a truck reversing siren. I don't really see the why. Once the car is doing more than 30kmh it makes just as much noise as any other car. Modern cars are so quiet you don't hear them. In fact I think the imiev can be nosier than some luxury modern car's (actually not even luxury a new Camry or Mazda 6 is wispier quiet at idle ) the vacuum pump lets out a wine when you first start it and back out of a park and gets peoples attention.

Link to video showing difference in sound when Imiev passes on country road (click the link to go straight to the relevant point in the video)If it doesn't skip to the relevant section of the video automatically it's at 9:00 min .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iFyI#t=541

Regarding the RR gauge its only a estimation. It's not time based as suggested before. It's based on the the last 24km of driving consumption. So for example if you drove up a 24km long hill and plugged in at the top and charged back to full It could say RR 50km. If you rolled back down that 24km hill and charged back to full it could say RR 300km. So basically its trying to predict the future based on the past.

I just ignore the RR gauge, just use the fuel gauge like any other car.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

carnut1100
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by carnut1100 »

I've been ignoring the RR gauge.
I put it on trip meter and reset each charge then use that in combination with the fuel gauge to estimate.
So far I've only hit flashing gauge a couple of Times and turtle once but that time I knew I was pushing it.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Kurt, I guess the question about AVAS is not so much about the wisdom of if it is needed but rather why it appears not be fitted on OZ vehicles? I know it is not required under ADR in Australia yet. But seems strange it would be omitted only on Australian delivered vehicles.

So does anyone have this system on their i?

Re the RR feature, the following seems to agree but some are finding it useful for that reason.

See http://www.myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=543

So not sure about the Handbook’s second comment about the RR.

As others have pointed out, the Fuel Gauge merely counts Coulombs so no problems there.

From our experience after you use an EV for a few years, you just have a feel for what to expect in daily use anyway and the whole range question is not something that is thought about much. For anything out of the daily routine involving a longer trip, we would automatically use the ICE anyway. But the old EV has done %95 of our daily road travels and the new i-MiEV will make that slightly higher especially with now having Air Con!

Bruce

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok is it only Australian vehicles that don't have it. Or is it only US models that do have it? The US model has had a stack of changes made to it and added features.

The body is wider, they have tire pressure sensors, pre heating & cooling, remotes, The bumpers are reenforced and about twice as big. Even looking at pictures of the suspension and under body components I can see differences. The rear axle beam has all kinds of gussets welded to it in the middle that are not on our model.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 25 Oct 2013, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

AVAS is certainly on the Canadian and UK models as well. I think the features vary slightly; the UK ones from memory can have the volume adjusted by the user. Not sure about the Japanese models.

Bruce

Johny

New I-Miev owner

Post by Johny »

Just an observation here - actually two.
The first one is that when we had the Leaf on the 3 Month trial, we left the Pedestrian alert noise on all the time. That didn't stop people walking out in front of the car because it didn't sound like a car.
One day I tailed two of my workmates for 20 meters, less than 1 meter behind, as the walked toward the building chatting. They were surprized when they finally realised that the niose was a car.

Second observation.
Several times now in slowish environments - shipping centre car parks, near the railway station etc., people getting ready to cross the road look at me coming toward them, look the other way to check, then walk out in front of me when I'm right on them.
My theory is that they see me - I'm a car - I'm moving; then they check the other way and since they can't hear me yet - I'm not close enough to worry about and they step off the footpath in front of me.

I never noticed this effect in the Leaf but it may have been that I didn't drive it much in those situations - I'm in the Vogue all the time so I get into every situation.

Anyway, anyone else had that happen?

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Yep same thing happens with us....

I have a SoundRacer (the new programmable one) see http://www.soundracer.se/?p=513 but have not fitted it to the old EV yet. Apparently Eric has a YouTube of his mod somewhere on the web. If you read Kenneth’s research into this it is kind of interesting. Not sure about the Selby V8 etc but there is a ‘normal’ modern car sound file as well. And you can make your own up.... Can highly recommend Kenneth Palmestål, he is great to deal with.

Bruce

Forgot.... we are just leaving the i-MiEV as is and like NOT having any sounds. The question was only of general interest.

Last edited by CometBoy on Fri, 25 Oct 2013, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes I find with our white Imiev is that ugly/strange looking that once people take that quick first glance they are that bewildered and fixated on it. Thinking to them self why are the tires so skinny and whats with the shape, is that a promotional stunt for Tick tac mints. So we don't need sound to have there attention Image

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 25 Oct 2013, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

offgridQLD wrote: Yes I find with our white Imiev is that ugly/strange looking that once people take that quick first glance they are that bewildered and fixated on it. Thinking to them self why are the tires so skinny and whats with the shape, is that a promotional stunt for Tick tac mints. So we don't need sound to have there attention Image
Kurt

Image Absolutely ! Image maybe it was intentional in the design ! onlookers half expect it to go sideways like other shopping trolleys. It is good we can laugh at ourselves.

We will often joke as we cruise along behind folk in carparks, 'they don't know we are here do they'
It is that lack of infrasound not the lack of noise in the audible range that does it. Any form of pedestrian noise maker would need to create infrasound. IMHO
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !