New I-Miev owner

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Yes another new I-Miev owner!!

Just bought a new MY12 model being sold off by one of the dealers in Adelaide. Got them down to $25,000 with all on road costs and a years rego, it has done only 133km. And has almost the full 5 year warranty. Thanks to all for the tips about the clearance of these models....

I think this is the last one with the near full warranty left in Adelaide. I know of two others here a 2011 demo and another MY12 with a few more kms on the clock.

Guess the much loved MightyBoyev will need to go sometime. If anyone is after a cool green machine please PM me! See my website for the full story of this EV.

Cheers
Bruce

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Have posted an Ad for the surplus Mightyboy in a few places.

The Ebay Ad is

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Veh ... CA:AU:1123

Kind of sad to see it go after all that effort going in but it was such a great project and I enjoyed every minute of it. Very hard to decide on a price for such a strange vehicle especially with the dumping of the I-Miev’s at cost or below. So I have decided something around $13,000 to $15,000 seems about the mark? I welcome any opinions either way about this value....

Now for a couple of I-Miev questions (and I will have lots more to come):

1 – What is my best option for a home charge cable setup? I have the 15 Amp connection used for the Mightyboy in the correct location, but my wife doesn’t want to drag the cable out and in of the boot every day. She will regularly use the one in the car during the day so really need 2 charge leads.

2 – What obd-ii Bluetooth adapter are you guys using with the Android Canlon App? Is there a better app out there??

Thanks again to those posting I-Miev information it is all helpful in getting going.

Bruce

carnut1100
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by carnut1100 »

2012 Will have the full J1772 protocol and use a sstandard EVSE...I seem to remember from reading that the cheapest one is a spare Holden Volt one for around $350....

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Thanks, will check that out, yes just after the standard EVSE using the J1772 - nothing special. Dealer says he has seen them on eBay (US) and thought some were genuine Mitsubishi items? Apparently they don’t offer them here. She has access to Rapid DC charge stations here in Adelaide as well and a couple are convenient for her during the day. So nice she has both options.

Gabz

New I-Miev owner

Post by Gabz »

CometBoy wrote: 1 – What is my best option for a home charge cable setup?

If by best you mean fastest then orgin will install a chargepoint one https://www.originenergy.com.au/electri ... -charging/

price is roughly $3k installed.

or cloud9 cars is $1.5k -$2k installed
website

I've been told the i-miev doesn't go past 13 amps no no benefit to a 7kW over a 3.6kW
Last edited by Gabz on Fri, 18 Oct 2013, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Johny

New I-Miev owner

Post by Johny »

I'm surprized that E-STATION hasn't popped up on the forum.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Can’t seem to find any reasonable pricing on the Volt replacement Level 1 Cable?

But in the end I might just upgrade to a Level 2 setup anyway. My current wiring to the outlet that will be used can handle a 30 amp service so really just need to change over to a 32 Amp circuit breaker and select a level 2 product to connect up.

Have looked at the local vendors as suggested but a craze cost for what you get.

Have also entertained the idea of making one of these:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw ... harging-st

but a bit concerned about the compliance issue from an insurance point of view.

But then I looked at places like Home Depot in the US and Canada (like Bunning’s here) and here is a sample of what they can offer:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/level+2+char ... 8440718612

I think either of the $699(us) models would be fine and have seen them discounted even more in other places.

Amazes me why Australia is so forward in some areas (solar uptake rate being one) but not in others! Our EV uptake is so slow here…. With still so much negative press.

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

Maybe some of the public money wasted on 'buying' PV solar takeup should have been wasted on 'buying' EV takeup. Image

Don't forget the i will only draw 3.3kW by the onboard charger i.e. 13.7Amp at 240V. Installing any larger EVSE may be a distant future investment but largely unjustified at this time.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Thanks ACmotor,

Yes true, the Level 2 would largely be over rated for the charging currents the i-MiEV’s can handle. Guess it comes back to value for money and the difficulty in finding a second OEM cable that would suit. Would have thought these are fairly common place but apart from the odd one coming up used it appears not (and these are mainly 120V versions). Will check a bit more into the local Volt pricing for their in vehicle Level 1 lead as well.

ACcmotor do you just use the supplied charge cable and take it in and out of the vehicle each time? I think my partner would want a simple park and plug setup like we use with our current EV.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

carnut1100

You are right, found the reference to the local Holden Volt accessory. And it is $350 retail so most likely around $300 trade.

Should do the job nicely

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

I have the iMiEV EVSE (panasonic) 10A standard unit that I leave at home.
An E-station (circontrol) 16A EVSE installed at a work site
and a charge-amps.com 'in J1772 plug' 6/10/16A EVSE that lives in the vehicle.
The latter gives a charge rate flexibility that is rather handy when out and about (and mates in well with a 32A 3 phase adaptor cable)

Yes, getting the boot cable out regularly is a pain and without a backup that is always in the vehicle, there is a risk of driving off into the world without an EVSE ! ( OK, I have done that Image )

The volt EVSE is a good buy and I have tested g4qbers' one on my i (and his i). It reflects perhaps a more realistic EVSE price or a deliberately subsidised price given the OTT price of the volt. I hope they actually have them in stock for sale.

Monkeyboy
Noobie

New I-Miev owner

Post by Monkeyboy »

G'day acmotor, big fan of your work.

May I ask what format was the supply plug on the charge amps 16A EVSE when you got it, primarily did you need to DIY to a 240V 3 blade plug?
Cheers

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

Originaly came with a Schucko as per pic.

Replaced with 15A Oz 3 pin and had it test and tagged to keep the system happy.Image

The 2.5mmsq cable is a tight fit but it is very flexible and doesn't strain the plug/socket. The hot air gun is useful to soften and stretch the clear plug back for assembly.

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

If you are looking for a hard wired unit. Do a search for Bosch EVSE they seem to be well priced and there was some on Ebay not long starting from $450 from memory.

link to little web page on them.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/43199 ... rger-cheap

ebay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Power-Max ... 1186725253

Cometboy,
        Was it you that did a short Utube video with another guy test driving a Imiev A few years back. It was When the Imiev first landed in AU and were only offered as a 3 year lease for 60k! I could have the wrong person.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 20 Oct 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Gabz

New I-Miev owner

Post by Gabz »

CometBoy wrote:
but a bit concerned about the compliance issue from an insurance point of view.

But then I looked at places like Home Depot in the US and Canada (like Bunning’s here) and here is a sample of what they can offer:

I'm not sure buying a US model will help with compliance if they also haven't been c-ticked (i think that's the right standard) for australia.

Schinder and siemens sell tons of there automation stuff here, I might have to ask their sales rep. why they arn't selling their EVSE stuff.

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Gabz wrote: Schinder and siemens sell tons of there automation stuff here, I might have to ask their sales rep. why they arn't selling their EVSE stuff.

There just isn't the scale of registered electric cars in Australia to make it worth while. The numbers are dismal.

Just look at the numbers the 600 cars in Australia is a joke really. When you think the US that have around 150,000 highway capable electric cars and many European country's have 15,000 - 60,000 cars each along with Japan and China that have similar numbers each. By comparison Australia doesn't even show on the map when it comes to electric cars.

Australia's 600 electric cars

US electric car sales

France electric car sales

Japan electric car sales

Norway electric car sales

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 21 Oct 2013, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

New I-Miev owner

Post by acmotor »

Yes, and add the Peugeot iOn and Citroën C-Zero (rebadged iMiEV) together so their European sales are more realistic.
Still Oz is dismal.
.... and some folk think that our 'bought' PV takeup actually effected world PV pricing..... or that a carbon tax in Oz actually made sense on a world scale !

So, on that table, 2010,2011,2012 and most of 2013 was the greenest Govt Oz has had... or was it. Image

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

It's even more dismal when you compare the total number of EV to ICE.
Thirteen million passenger cars vs six hundred electric. That's only 0.005% of cars in Australia are electric.

Gabz

New I-Miev owner

Post by Gabz »

offgridQLD wrote:
Gabz wrote: Schinder and siemens sell tons of there automation stuff here, I might have to ask their sales rep. why they arn't selling their EVSE stuff.

There just isn't the scale of registered electric cars in Australia to make it worth while. The numbers are dismal.

you can easily import even with dismal number that cost is minimal but if it needs to be certified for Australia that is a much larger cost.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Just an update on the Holden Volt Charge Cable.

Holden part Number is GM-22942881 and the correct GM description is ‘Cable AM-DRV MOT BAT CHA’

It looks very well made and seems to almost be worth the $315.00 that I paid. Add GST to that if needed. They are currently in stock. Have all the needed compliance stickers clearly visible.

Yes Kurt , Eric and I did review the i a few years ago plus I have been luckily enough to try out a few other pure EV’s OS along the way.

Kurt I also looked at bring in the Bosch EVSE (via a connection in Oregon - so no state sale tax on purchase) but the Holden product is better suited to my current need. I think Holden must be subsidizing the Volt cable - seems too reasonable?

The Australian EV car sales are very depressing and appear not to be improving this year. Was interesting talking to the local Holden dealer this morning, they are one of three Holden dealers here in Adelaide that sell the Volt. Initially they consisted the product would have a reasonable market here but given the cost of well over $60,000 at has been a big failure for them (surprise!). I think there will be some huge discounting in the next few months on their current stock. Beautiful motor vehicle compared to the i-Miev but…. Plus the whole hybrid technology thing is something you would not want to keep around when they get a few years older. Nightmare stuff compared to the whole ‘KISS’ principal of pure plug-in EVs (imho).

So thanks for the data on car sales. As pointed out, as a percentage we are hardly on the radar. I certainly don’t understand why this is the case but also not convinced subsidies are that good for the market place either. If you look are mobile phones, Australians tend to be up there with the best of them? Maybe we need to market an iCar… each model could have worse battery life than the previous model etc and consumers would queue up for them. Maybe it is about marketing as well?? Bring back Steve...

Cheers
Bruce

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Thanks for the volt charge cable info. I actually need to get myself a 2nd charge cable.

Regarding the ev sales in Au. It all comes down to price. People need to see value in what they are getting and 60k buys a lot of ice powered car. In fact 1/2 that buys a lot of car now days.

If it wasn't for the run out prices on offer I wouldn't never have considered the Imiev.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 21 Oct 2013, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

CometBoy
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by CometBoy »

Absolutely agree.

When we first drove these a few years ago I never thought we would remotely purchase one for home because of the $50,000 to $60,000 price tag but at under $24,000 with the good Mitsi warranty it was a great opportunity for pure EV fans. Would be sad if we purchased one for twice that amount months earlier.
Last edited by CometBoy on Mon, 21 Oct 2013, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Owen
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by Jeff Owen »

offgridQLD wrote: It's even more dismal when you compare the total number of EV to ICE.
Thirteen million passenger cars vs six hundred electric. That's only 0.005% of cars in Australia are electric.

You are comparing the number of EVs built by just 4 manufacturers over just 4 years against the remaining registered cars from a pool of every IC car ever built in or imported into Australia. You really need to include EVs from other manufactures as well as conversions. However, your basic premise is obviously still correct.

offgridQLD

New I-Miev owner

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes I know there are a few home builds and perhaps a few from other micro sized local manufactures - branded conversions. Though I didn't have that data on hand and it would make little difference to the numbers It wouldn't surprise me if it topped out at 800 - 1000 units scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It's kind of nice at the moment just flying under the radar avoiding the fuel tax and just enjoying the benefits in a less main stream way. In 20 years time it could just be the norm and the government will have tapped into any potential financial gain from owning a ev and put it back in there pocket.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 21 Oct 2013, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

carnut1100
Groupie

New I-Miev owner

Post by carnut1100 »

When I first drove the i my thoughts were that no way in hell was it a $50k+ car.
That and the fact that pigs would fly before I could arrange $50k meant I didn't get one.

Then I drove the Leaf....only a few grand more and at that price difference you'd have rocks in your head to buy the i MiEV....

Now the Leaf at $40k is more of a proposition, but still beyond what I can afford but the i MiEV demos at under $20k are a very viable prospect.
Bear in mind that in the USA there is a $7500 credit and a new Leaf can be had on road for around $25-27k....helps with sales somewhat!

Norway has reduced purchase tax and free rego until EVs make up a certain percentage...a Prius which gets half benefits being hybrid is price comparable to Corolla....
In one of the Scandinavian countries this year for one quarter the Tesla S was the top selling new car....an EV first!

It's not so much subsidies we need here but support.
If fast chargers were every 100km between the main capitals (maybe not nullabor...) and more chargepoints about, with a generous registration rebate say for the first five years, and maybe a GST exemption tapering off by 1% per year over the next ten years....we might see a change!