*might* be getting an iMiev.......

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

I might ask if they will update the nav before I pick up....

Is there a roof bar that fits iMiev?
Roof mounted bike racks are about...
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

A quick search on ebay ( i miev roof rack) lists some Thule roof racks ranging from $280 - $360 depending on style the slick looking ones are the most expensive. The Thule racks are not bad. You can lock them with a key and take them off quickly as you wouldn't want them on all the time.

Im sure if you went to a tow bar shop/ fabricator they could make you a light duty receiver hitch. If your not going to tow with it then you don't need all the plug wired in just a receiver hitch. When I get the time I will fabricate one up perhaps out of aluminum as I like to carry bike's and a little rubbish bin carrier that I made (bins are collected 1.6km up the road)All that said the Imiev's are not legally rated to have a tow bar. I'm sure its safe to do for a bike rack or a few hundred kg load in a small 6x4 trailer. It's just a silly technicality because Mitsubishi hasn't given out a tow bar load rating for the Imiev. So legally manufactures have no specs to work with. Therefor its at your own risk installing one.

I think I will end up with the roof racks to they are just so handy to have and they carry my recumbent trike well.

With a bit of hunting you could probably get the sat nave map for free online. I have a unit that came with my ute and I was even able to put different sat nave programs on a sd card and it ran them fine. Though it did take some hunting online to find the info and to get it working.

Given that you are only going to be driving the Imiev within 100km of your house or 50km return you really only need a local map and then you most likely know your way around the local area anyhow.

A led light in the rear cargo area is something you will soon be looking for.At night you can't see jack in there. I haven't done it yet but its on my short list. Along with tinting on the front door windows. You sit close to the window and get cooked on the side of you face from the sun easy.

Great news on the lower than expected KM yours has 10 times less km than my 2012 that was only purchased new a few months ago and 200 times less km than a few 2012 models on the forum Image

Oh also the vacuum pump could need replacing it was recall replacement on a lot Imiev's. Just check the all the recall issues have been addressed if any as it has just been sitting there for years easier to get it done now than have to take it back.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri, 11 Oct 2013, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Just keep in mind that the aerodynamic drag of a roof rack/luggage on the roof may be a real downer. A well designed trailer may be a better option ?

km ? use it or you lose it. The most energy/environment benificial and economically viable EV is the one that is actually driven. Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes the roof racks add drag but so dose going up a hill or driving faster or more passengers.

The car is there to be used and making it practical is important. It's not like you are making a permanent negative modification with a set of roof racks. 95% of the time you wont have them on the car. Taking your bike or perhaps some luggage 20 - 30km using 150wh - km rather than 130wh km sure beats having to use your gas car for the job.

I know what your saying with a tiny..tiny motorbike trailer but that's still going to be 60 - 80kg and the wheel drag and hassle of reduced parking opportunity with a trailer in tow.

Km use it or loose it yes I agree but its best if your the one who gets to use them and not the owner before you Image

Kurt
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

OK there is a test for someone.

a roof rack bare
a roof rack with say bike on it
a trailer of x kg and x size

table of Wh/km

re km
"its best if you are the one who gets to use them and not the owner before you" yeah, I was ripped off. Mine had 3km on it when I bought it ! I've been making up for it ever since Image
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

The mind wanders...

from here

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I build A little teardrop camper about 5 years ago.Don't even know its there with the 4wd ute.

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Yes I was thinking of fabbing a receiver hitch from ally....easy to do if you can weld the stuff and I can.
Should be able to make a bike capable one for 10kg or less.

Roof racks that clip off quickly would be great....

I don't use the bike all the time but a couple of times a week I like to take it somewhere nice to ride. A rack of some sort is a big thing for me.

Spoke to dealer today and he's gonna try to get the satnav all updated.
Also I've read the manual cover to cover and done a list of the custom functions I want enabled such as half pressing the indicator will now make it blink three times not once and the mirrors will now fold when I lock it and unfold when I unlock.
It's had the full drain down service and will be all detailed ready for me to pick up Monday lunchtime.

This car's gonna get used....I've got three years warranty and 100k to burn through....challenge accepted!
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

carnut1100 wrote:
This car's gonna get used....I've got three years warranty and 100k to burn through....challenge accepted!

Good Man !

Factory default is the 3 blinks and not auto mirror fold, at least on MY12, but yes, they just plug in MUTII unit and set up the functions.... there are many e.g. auto headlight sensitivity etc.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Fill me in on this tweak to get Auto mirror fold in at ignition off.

I was just thinking to myself that would be a nice feature.

Also this factory manual that a few are referring to is this the cd that on ebay?

Kurt
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

my 'service manual' (with wiring diagrams) is the one from ebay. (guy in QLD ?).
I've not run the MUTIII system on PC (no OBD interface yet), just viewed the docs.
Is there another manual out there ?
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

I've got a big thick red owners manual.
In the back is a list of customisable functions detailing the factory settings and available options.
Mirror fold default is when you lock with the remote then double tap the lock button they fold. Also I tthink there is a button on the mirror adjusting console that folds them manually.
Default is they open up at 30kmh or when you hit the button.
Can be set fold on lock and open on unlock or to fold when key turned off and open when powered up.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok, yes I have noticed the manual mirror button and when you have them folded and drive off they open at 30ish kph, was kind of surprised the first time it happened. I will try tomorrow double tapping the key remote and see if they fold.

So dose the manual you have give details of how to reprogram the mirrors to fold on lock and unfold on unlock?

Is this red manual just the owners manual that came with the car or is it a factory service manual from Mitsubishi.

kurt
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Owners manual.
With remote lock the car then press lock button twic. Quickly and mirrors fold.
Press and hold and all Windows wind up.

Needs to be plugged into the dealer computer to change the settings.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Picked it up this arvo....awesome ride!

Fuel gauge was full but range meter showed 92km.
Git it down to 30 before I got home....
Three friends have driven it so far and all have fallen in love with it.
It's ugly as sin but it's truly an awesome car!
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

LOL

i just had a mental pic of the car saying "It's ugly as sin but i own him" while looking at carnut1100

hahaha
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

They sure are ugly but I think if you own one long enough the looks will grow on you. Thank god I plan to keep if for a while Image.

I wouldn't worry about the RR gauge. Most likely the last 25km driven before you picked it up where hard on the battery. As long as your trip home wasn't to hilly or planting your foot every 2 seconds after your next recharge the RR estimation should be a little more realistic.

Mine has estimated anywhere from 80km to 170km RR after a recharge depending on how it was driven the last 25km before charging.

So tell us what you like most about the car?

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 15 Oct 2013, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

RR said 67 when I unplugged this morning...but I was showing my brother how well it went before I plugged in.
By the time I got to work 10 km away it went up to 81.

What do I like?

Well...to start there are all the features I have never had on a car before such as traction control, keyless entry, satnav, HID headlights, seat heater (truly awesome!).

Apart from that......
I love how smooth it is....smoother than any auto trans I have ever driven. I hate autos with a passion but this is different. No torque converter sapping power, no changing gears at the wrong Times, just smooth power from start to finish.

I love how silent it is when I stop or drive slowly....but I also love that jet fighter spooling noise when you mash the pedal at 70 and it leaps forward like an angry greyhound.....

I love the instant torque there at any time. Ok, it's no V8 but it's no slouch either. Mid range accel is better than my Volvo 244...

I love the Tight turning circle and the way it can get in and out of anywhere and it's so damn easy to park....but then I am used to parking a 12.5 by 2.5 metre bus.......

After 2 mins I put it in B and that's all I have driven it in since. The regen control means I can make it do whatever I want and if you have good throttle control you can power, coast, or regen at will. This is the closest to driving a manual...D seems to try and simulate an auto and Eco is neither fish nor fowl as well has having crappy throttle response. B lets you do whatever you want and go from economical driving to full power in an instant.

I love the way people do a double take and want to know more....I gave Someone a lift this morning on the way to work and first he thought I'd stalled it then noticed the electric stickers and was totally blown away asking questions.
So far I've given three people a drive and taken another five for a ride and all without exception have loved it.
This morning when I got to work all the others were all over it and I had to promise rides to all of them after work.......

I'm just loving the whole experience.
Last edited by carnut1100 on Tue, 15 Oct 2013, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Johny

Post by Johny »

carnut1100 wrote: Picked it up this arvo....awesome ride!
Congratulations. Now you're stuffed - every time you drive an ICE car and go down a hill (or stop at a reasonable rate) you'll hate having to use the brakes.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

It's nice to hear other peoples observations.

I totally agree with hating automatic transmissions with a passion. The Imiev isn't really a auto. Its a one speed transmission thats good from 0 - 140kmp Image I guess that's why the first 20m of so are a little sluggish and then the 40kmph - 80kmph have a strong punch and then things taper down from 90 - 135kph. At times it would be nice to have a low gear on the transmission just for fun at the traffic lights Image Though I find the linear acceleration works well from 40 - 100 as you see other cars come off and on the power between gears.

Having all the mod cons and safety features was a big selling point for me over building my own EV. Most tend to be made from older light weight cars with less modern features.

I agree on the turning cycle. My other car is a Isuzu Dmax dual cab and it has the worst turning cycle know to man. The Imiev parks anywhere I love the vision out the front. getting back in the ute feels like a box with a few port holes for windows.

I find B mode is good though in traffic it can piss people off behind you with the aggressive regen braking . Because the brake lights don't come on under strong regen You can see the panic look on peoples face as they almost rear end you. I even had one guy say hey your brake lights are not working. I tend to use d mode in the city and B just for steep hills. Remember that the first few percent of the brake travel brings on more regen without any friction braking.

The dead silence at traffic lights takes some getting use to. There is something programed into your thinking after years and years of ICE motors to associate silence with a stalled motor. I kept having a little (yikes I have stalled moment) for a fraction of a second for the first few days.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 15 Oct 2013, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Johny

Post by Johny »

offgridQLD wrote:Because the brake lights don't come on under strong regen You can see the panic look on peoples face as they almost rear end you.
I have the Vogue brake lights come on at about 30% regen. I was quite concerned before I put that in. It sounds like a handy project for the iMiev - a brake light activator. Maybe just base it on an accelerometer.

Edit: I use about 5% hysteresis
Last edited by Johny on Tue, 15 Oct 2013, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Ah, warms my heart to hear others enjoying their iMiEV too !

It was perhaps a turning point in the i's acceptance when we all admitted that it is bog ugly and then got on with its real positive feaures. Image
Having said that, the profile is not bad.... right side Image

3 golden rules...ignore the RR, ignore the RR, ignore the RR.

After 40,000km I have settled into just driving in D. Brake lights on freeways being the important factor (I like johny's vogue idea).
I treat myself to B to slow down on hills and corners at times for fun.

Johny is right about going back to ICEs. They stink, they are noisy and so vintage.

I pondered the programmed torque and power limits of the i. Mitsi were conservsative but if they had given the i 50% more then I would just use it and show it off and break it. Image Right now it is just the right balance of tantilising EV performance. Image
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Hasn't been a problem for me so far.
I'm used to manuals Where I have the habit of lifting off in plenty of time then double shuffle shifting down through the gears only using brakes at the end.
I can do this with the iMiev in B mode by dialling up the amount of regen I want with throttle modulation.
I have been using as little regen as I need to slow down on the premise that utilising that kinetic energy to roll the car is more efficient than turning it to electricity and back into motion again...

I'm keeping my vintage ICE car....probably selling my '80s stuff and putting my 1973 Volvo 142 coupe on special interest registration.
Old school as it gets with twin carbs and points ignition....for when I need a dose of petrol fumes! Image
Johny

Post by Johny »

carnut1100 wrote:I have been using as little regen as I need to slow down on the premise that utilising that kinetic energy to roll the car is more efficient than turning it to electricity and back into motion again...
Agreed but it depends a lot on the traffic situation. I find that if I don't slow down at a reasonably fast rate the drivers around me get frustrated. Perhaps thats a Victorian/Melbourne suburbs thing. Melbournians have never been know to be generous on the roads.
I also have lots of hills on my commute and holding your own on a long steep hill when everyone else is running on brakes can be concerning if you have no brake lights illuminated.
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »