New to the forum & new I-miev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

Greg partridge wrote: I have just bitten the bullet and brought a iMiev ! $17,500 with 7,000 km on the clock for a 2010 model. Let the fun begin!

Welcome to the club! It's a surprisingly zippy car. Enjoy leaving people behind at the lights.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Nice one Greg, Nice low mileage example cant have been driven much. let us know how you get on.

One small thing to test would be the 12v lead acid battery under the hood as it would now be almost 5 years old. With such low km it might not have had much use/charge.

I'm sure you will enjoy the car.

Kurt
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

offgridQLD wrote: One small thing to test would be the 12v lead acid battery under the hood as it would now be almost 5 years old. With such low km it might not have had much use/charge.

Be careful getting it in or out. A friend had acid dribbles damage his paint work from the battery being tipped as it went in or out. It really could be a sealed lead acid battery or a Li battery.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-2023, Hyundai Ioniq 5 2023-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

The salesman said (for what it's worth) that all of their imievs came from Mitsubishi and are ex lease. They had reportedly been sitting in a holding yard for six months and all needed the 12 volt battery replaced which they had done. The cover wouldn't fit over the new battery as it was larger so the cover was in the rear hatch
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

so the dealers used a non oem part in a car and not only that but one that isnt the correct size as well?

now if you tried to sell them a car with a non oem part they would try to nock the price to 1/2
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

The plastic cover doesn't really do much just cosmetic. Covers the terminals I guess I wouldn't worry to much. At least it's a new battery.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 18 Oct 2014, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Good.

Another i finds a true owner. Enjoy !

So a larger 12V Aux battery..... that will make the EV go further...won't it ? Image

Can you measure your recharge kWh from the power point ? it is good to track that as the EV ages and be able to compare with other owners.

converted RedSuzi, the first industrial AC induction motor conversion
on to iMiEV MY12 did 114,463km
now Tesla Model 3, 4/2021 MIC pearl white
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I noticed the battery cover missing from my recently purchased 2010 too, although they didn't say they had changed the battery, I wonder if it has been.
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

Mikedufty which state did you buy yours from? Evidently Mitsubishi have a large number of ex lease 2010 parked up for six months and all the 12v batteries needed to be replaced
Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge »

I collect mine on Wednesday but as yet haven't got a 15 amp power outlet to charge from only a 10 amp. Is it ok to make up a adaptor, 15amp to 10amp to plug in with if there is nothing else on that circuit.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Greg partridge wrote:Is it ok to make up a adaptor, 15amp to 10amp to plug in with if there is nothing else on that circuit.

yeah, I did

your 10A power point will most likely be protected either by a 10A fuse (for an old installation) or a 16A CB (for a new installation)

on my on EVSE (actually now my ex's) I just swaped the 15A male for a 10A male

I actually bought a 10A extension lead with 2.5mm2 and cut the female off and hardwired it to the EVSE (I had to dismantle the EVSE to do this)
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Greg partridge wrote: Mikedufty which state did you buy yours from?

Mine was from Paceway Mitsubishi in WA, who have a whole bunch of them. Was sitting there with a flat battery and had to be jump started for my test drive. Quite possible it was replaced and they didn't bother telling me. I actually think I noticed the battery cover before buying it, and it doesn't have one now.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I would be less inclined to charge a 2010 Imiev in a 10A socket. Considering the 2010 Imiev using the supplied cable charges at the full potential of the on board charger, 13A or so.

The later imiev's shipped with a 10A evse. Even that is at the max continuous rating of a 10A outlet and they do get warm after 5 - 6 hrs at 10A.

Get a dedicated cable run from the switchboard for your EV charging as soon as you can. It's good piece of mind that the supply line and socket are up to the job.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 20 Oct 2014, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
bga

Post by bga »

Greg partridge wrote: I collect mine on Wednesday but as yet haven't got a 15 amp power outlet to charge from only a 10 amp. Is it ok to make up a adaptor, 15amp to 10amp to plug in with if there is nothing else on that circuit.
Consider the double GPO at the end of the circuit. It is possible to plug two bar heaters in, although the breaker may trip, protecting the building's wiring. 15 amp circuits are wired to a single 15A socket, although I have seen double 15A sockets for sale.

Along this line, does the 2010 'i charge at reduced current with an appropriate J1772 cable?

I have a need for a 6amp charge cable for my 2012 'i:
The battery inverter charger is now running, the house battery can easily do a 1/4 to full charge overnight, but the inverter works fairly hard doing this, so it would be good to reduce the charge current to about 6 amps to keep the inverter happy and allow more headroom for other household loads. I really only need a J1772 plug to my own cable back to the inverter.

Any thoughts?
It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Yes You can get a EVSE for the 2012 Imiev that has selectable charge rate on the handle. From memory it ranges from 6A, 10A- 16A so it would give you roughly (1400w) (2200w) and (3200w) max limit on Imiev. I think they are something like $1000+ shipped to AU.

http://charge-amps.com/mobile-evse

I wouldn't mind a (variable charge rate) EVSE but I am holding out for one at a better price.

Kurt
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

offgridQLD wrote: I would be less inclined to charge a 2010 Imiev in a 10A socket. Considering the 2010 Imiev using the supplied cable charges at the full potential of the on board charger, 13A or so.

*snip*

Get a dedicated cable run from the switchboard for your EV charging as soon as you can. It's good piece of mind that the supply line and socket are up to the job.

The wiring in the wall is usually no smaller than 2.5mm2, but yes a dedicated line is better

if you are going to the trouble of doing a dedicated line, make sure the sparkie puts in at least 6mm2 or bigger - it means you won't have to re-run wire if you want to go to a more powerful hardwired EVSE.

6mm2 is good for 30A, but bigger is better.
the thicker wire isn't that much more expensive

it would also be worthwhile putting in a 20A GPO as well - the contacts inside the powerpoint will be able to handle 15A continuous better than a 15A point
Matt
2023 BYD Atto 3 - 21k km
2017 Renault zoe - 147'000km
2012 Leaf - 101'000km - soon to be trialing a booster battery
2007 Vectrix - 197'000km (retired)
2007 Vectrix - 50k km
reecho

Post by reecho »

Note that some of the 2010 I-Miev's don't have the pilot signal installed (as a retrofit by Gelco) and can use normal 15A sockets without EVSE. Mine isn't converted and at this stage it doesn't impede my usage. If anybody in Perth buys an I-Miev without pilot and requires it, I can assist with the fitting of a modded harness.

I regularly charge off 10 amp GPO's using an adaptor (and now a power mate meter). No issues at all so far.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

bga wrote:

The battery inverter charger is now running, the house battery can easily do a 1/4 to full charge overnight, but the inverter works fairly hard doing this, so it would be good to reduce the charge current to about 6 amps to keep the inverter happy and allow more headroom for other household loads. I really only need a J1772 plug to my own cable back to the inverter.

Any thoughts?

Yes, buy a charge amps EVSE
Or consider dropping the supply voltage since the current is constant ...
Here
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

acmotor wrote:
bga wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yes, buy a charge amps EVSE
Or consider dropping the supply voltage since the current is constant ...
Here

The other option is the open source EVSE you can just reprogram them then to what ever duty cycle you want.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Gabz, have you built an open source EVSE ?
What was the final cost... Parts, shipping, box, cable, J1772 plug, mains plug etc. ?
How does it compare with the Volt's $350 EVSE ? ( other than programmable current )
Just wondering coz I could still do with another EVSE. I like to leave one at my main charging locations and one in the vehicle.
I have a nightmare of needing to charge and there being power points everywhere but not an EVSE in sight.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

+ 1 on the cost open source EVSE ?

Acmotor, Power points every where that your legally allowed to use. Wish it was the same in QLD.

Actually not that I need them with the Imiev's range. Just a few out of the city just beyond the return range of the Imiev would be handy.

I guess that's why I am building the (range extender) E-jerry can..thanks for the inspiration on that one Image

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

I haven't no, but if your going to buy something that has the disadvantage of not being certified. it seems like a good way to go, gives you some more flexibility.

I haven't seen anyone come close to holden volt evse in terms of cost.

riddick from the ozleaf forum spent $344 but he already had the cable and J1772 plug.

http://store.openevse.com/ and http://emotorwerks.com/products/online- ... g-stations are the 2 popular ones for those who don't google.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Looks like its about $150 US + shipping for the J1772 cable & plug. Then around $250 US if you want to do some soldering or $330 + shipping US if you take the lazy option. So under $500 US I would assume it's under $1000 so you wouldn't get stung with any extra charges importing it.

Thats starting to sound better if its fully adjustable. Isn't there timers you can set to for a delayed charge? It looks like it has more features than just adjustable charge current.

Though I still wouldn't mind it being less its just a charging cable. $300 and I would consider one. I'm sure the price will come down as plug in hybrids grow in numbers.

While I am mentioning plug in hybrids. Any one know if the Outlander uses the same size cells as the Imiev. I'm sure they are going to sell a few of them in Au given the advertising push/ price point peoples attitudes. With more on the roads its Only a matter of time before they pop up at the salvage yards.

I understand the pack is less capacity but is it the same cells but less voltage (less cells) or smaller AH cells.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 21 Oct 2014, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Mmmm, makes the charge amps in plug EVSE with 6/10/16A light in the plug and security code at $650 still a good buy. That is the one I have now. Though it is more like $750 at our present dollar value.
With hundreds of charges using it I can recommend it.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Kurt, you may find this post interesting, with regard to your PIP-4048MS inverter/charger unit:

viewtopic.php?title=pip4048ms-inverter&t=4332
Last edited by coulomb on Sat, 25 Oct 2014, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.