*Recall*Vacuum pump for brakes

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

Hi All,
Well, after 3 visits to Mitsubishi, I have finally had the Vacuum Pump replaced. Woohoo!
There is definitely some concern over working on the Imiev from the Mitsubishi mechanics which is far enough I guess when the blokes there probably don't have any electrical background.
I guess my annoyance was that the pump has nothing to do with the battery circuit & just looked like a hose & a plug/socket arrangement(nothing major in my eyes).
But I guess there safety concern over an unknown car is warranted.
Hopefully Mitsubishi get some of there guys trained up for the Out lander release Jan 2014 which hopefully will help the Imiev owners??
The comments from the nice young bloke I dealt with today was mentioning that they have been told about wearing big rubber gloves when working on the Imiev.
Brake feel so far is so much better. Not getting the juttering when breaking now.
Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Post by Lismore_Doug »

I am a worried man: I received this reply from Mitsub. about my car:

Customer Reference: 402135412

Further to our previous email the only recall on your vehicle has been
carried out ( it was to do with the batteries) your vehicle was never
recalled for the pump to be replaced the information you have been
provided

in this regards is incorrect.

My car DEFINITELY has the Silver pump. Are they correct?

regards Doug

ps: They have said in another previous reply:

Customer Reference: 402135412

We acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence regarding your
Mitsubishi Imiev.

We have checked our systems and the recall for your vehicle has been
carried out the recall parts were provided to the dealer and the dealer
has signed off that the recall has been done.

If you have concerns that the recall has not been done you will need to
contact the selling dealer and have them follow this up for you.

We have been advised that the battery charge gauge in the vehicle will
provide you a accurate indication of the state of charge of your
batteries.

If you have any concerns as to the condition of your batteries then a
Mitsubishi Imiev dealer can check these for you and if necessary access
technical support from us.

We trust that the above clarifies our position regarding this matter and
regret our inability to be of an further assistance.

...so I guess I will not receive any printouts about the battery condition in my car. This is particularly worrying for me as a country owner: at the Dealer I took the car to, the mechanic did not know how to download the information from the computer!

I hope the OBD2 access program progresses quickly.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

No Doug, they are not correct.
I just had mine changed(after 3 attempts)and is now definitely a Black pump. Not silver!

Ring Mitsubishi Australia head office & get them to check your car on there system.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I wouldn't worry about any of that.

Just because they say work was done regarding the battery it could be anything from a simple plug or bracket to a small software update anything that relates to the battery but most likely not the actual cells them self.

Regarding the pump. It could just be that your car was manufactured on a date where the batch of silver pumps were ok and it might only effect some cars. If you end up having a issue with the pump I'm sure it will be covered 100% under your warranty. Though it dose look like a lot people have had them changed to the black pump.

I was told all recall work had been done then two weeks later I got a email about the pump.

The black pump is only slightly quieter to me though even that could be just in me head. The braking performance just the same as the old pump no difference as expected.

I don't think you or anyone in Australia will get a print out of a battery test unless you had a issue and the need for them to perform one.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 28 Aug 2013, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

No Doug, they are not correct.
I just had mine changed(after 3 attempts)and is now definitely a Black pump. Not silver!

Ring Mitsubishi Australia head office & get them to check your car on there system.

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Can someone tell me where the compliance plate is on the Imiev? The only thing I found is a sticker on the drivers door pillar: it says 1/13 on the date, so if that is the case my car might be outside the recall date. It still has the silver vac pump tho...

regards Doug
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

I just checked my car Doug & mine is also dated 01/13.
They still replaced mine.
The sticker gives the VIN, that's all you should need.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Today, I got a call from a local imiev owner who was very surprised, when dropping off their recently purchased ex demo imiev for it's first service, to be told the vacuum pump needed to be replaced under this recall.
They are not happy it wasn't done whilst the car was a demo or predelivery to them. Owner not a forum reader and had no idea about the recall.
Led to me checking my car, to find my pump is the black one already. My car is Build date Feb 12, Compliance Jan 13 so not sure if in the recall or the dealer I bought from already had it done (he was relatively switched on about the car).
So, thanks for the photos - made it easy to check mine AND perhaps remind any friends who have recently purchased to check theirs too.
Last edited by adelaide-ev on Wed, 08 Jan 2014, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
acmotor

Post by acmotor »

My vac pump is silver and still works 45,000km on. Perhaps this is a batch issue not a colour prejudice ?
The i has been serviced three times and no replacement has been done. In fact at the last service the luggage hatch wasn't even lifted.   Oh we'll, it is covered by 10 year warranty or Australian consumer law since there was a recall and given the great iMiEV regen, the brakes don't get used much.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

I asked about mine. I have a silver pump. The service guy checked and said for my particular vehicle the only thing to be done was a software update which had been done.
It makes sense that the problem might have been only one batch of silver pumps, not all silver pumps.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.
adelaide-ev
Groupie

Post by adelaide-ev »

Peter C in Canberra wrote:
It makes sense that the problem might have been only one batch of silver pumps, not all silver pumps.

Quite possibly the case. However, on booking my imiev in for it's 2 month service next week, I asked them to check the records for my car and was told that the vacuum pump was replaced in August 2013 (before my purchase) as per the recall. Which perhaps explains why mine is black.

My car is due for an minor ECU update though - apparently as the failsafe on the traction battery has been deemed too stringent. With no sign of power down mode in the recent Adelaide heat (45degrees) I wonder how less stringent it needs to be??
Last edited by adelaide-ev on Thu, 06 Feb 2014, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

I got a email telling me my Imiev is due for a service. They must just send it out automatically every 6 months. The cars only done 5,000km and I have only had it 6 months so I don't know what they think needs doing.

I feel they can do very little with the cars. so I don't think I will bother dealing with them.

If it is a update that has something to do with temp limit. I would prefer my car to shut down if it gets to hot and be on the safe side if anything.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Thu, 06 Feb 2014, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR »

But you would miss out on your wheels getting rotated during your service :)
Last edited by ZIPPIE11CAR on Thu, 06 Feb 2014, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
reecho

Post by reecho »

My 2010 has the older type....just sent off a query to MMAL for clarification.
g4qber

Re: *Recall*Vacuum pump for brakes

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 60
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Tracey
Noobie

Post by Tracey »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to owning my i-MiEV so what do you mean by here we go again.
Should I be worried.

Tracey
2012 - i-MiEV
bladecar

Post by bladecar »

Hi Tracey,

Yes, just wait for a letter from Mitsubishi asking you to take your imiev to the nearest dealer and you then call or turn up and arrange a suitable day for the exchange pump to be fitted.
It is not unusual that you will have to wait for them to get the replacement pump before you can take it in, after you receive the letter.

Edit: Slight change.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

Reviving this old thread.
Shortly after I bought my iMiEV, the vacuum pump was replaced according to the
recall paperwork (16/03/17).
In January 2020 I received an "URGENT SAFETY RECALL 010162" to replace the brake booster electric vacuum pump ( I have until 21/10/2020 to get this done).
My mates around here also got this recall, but claim they never had the vacuum pump replaced prior.
I wonder if any of you had the vacuum pump replaced a few years ago and got this new recall?
Cheers

PS.: on that recall the charger was also replaced and some work done re rust on the drive battery frame.
tonyw
Groupie

Post by tonyw »

Hey Andreas,

My 2010 Mitsi was upgraded way back before I bought it. The previous owner gave me all the paperwork including the dealer's invoices, showing that the pump had been replaced.
When I received that same letter from the local dealer in January, I read through this thread and examined the pump in my car, only to find that it had the new type already fitted.

So don't panic. Unscrew the cover in the boot and take a butcher's at the pump (right side) - if yours is black, it's old, else if it's shiny silver (nickel plated?) it's a new one already.
cheers

tony

acmotor

Post by acmotor »

Sorry to throw in question the identification of silver vs black vacuum pumps as being the target of the recall.

I had the original silver pump that was a replacement in 2012 in the original recall at the time and did 7 years and 105,000km and working fine.
It was replaced in Feb 2019 by MMA field technician with the different shape black version only because it was on the 'list' of tasks along with a re-flash of ECU with supposedly a regen update ?
When MMA sent the March 2020 recall notice, I sent in the photos of both pumps showing ID detail and they said that the recently replaced black one was classified as faulty.
I suggested I simply put the old silver one back in, but of course that went nowhere.

Is this all the same recall since 2012 and not being recorded properly when work is done ? Then just a replace whatever action.
Don't you hate it when the replacement is the faulty item not the original ?

My take is that the original silver pump could suffer from blocked (dust, corrosion) air vent hole. This I checked as part of regular service.
But then the silver pump I had was supposed to have been a replacement in 2012.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !