Buying a I-miev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug » Sun, 07 Jul 2013, 01:11

Hi,
drove mine home from Tweed today: Black one, looks like a mini Hearse. Think I might nick-name it the ´Rookwood Express´.
Arrived home with the turtle (about 5Kms from home). Was batting along in D at 90>100km, up to 110 down the hills (& 80 up). Kept in the green most of the time. That is about 120Kms.
Comments: Very crisp steering. Adequate grunt if it is floored, but easy to cruise in. Does attract some attention. Had no trouble keeping up with traffic on the open road (few passed, but not many)

As said before, the power lead is too short to the ´box´. Might lengthen mine 1.5M would be good).

fyi, when I mount the home-built EVSE, I have decided that I will have a hole in the back of the box to cover the power point, then plug the EVSE in directly, inside the housing. Much easier than direct coupling. (this is to comply with the requirement that the O/P devices must be hard coupled, but let me connect a consumer built piece of hardware to the power (because you must use a tool to remove the cover before the unit can be disconnected.)

Now about that ChaDeMo port: I think there is a need to copy the connector. Needs someone with relevant skills to draw it & print one on a 3D printer. (Then see the Patent holders scream!) I reckon we could find some connectors to use for the contacts, then print the rest. Once we have a connector, we can (over)Power the world!
We are really lucky the Aussies left the Chademo port in (possibly because we may have Jap spec cars?) The Yanks are not so lucky it seems.

I would like the option of feeding into the inverter to reduce peak household power in the future when we may be forced to have timed rates (In the meantime I will charge on OP rates)

regards Doug

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 07 Jul 2013, 01:23

Getting better range today.
Stereo is actually OK :) had it on AM I discovered.

The lead would be better (if not going down EVSE path) with a plastic plug & socket we have at my work for hazardous areas. You simply push in & turn. No switch or having to screw on a weather proof style plug.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 07 Jul 2013, 01:30

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Sun, 07 Jul 2013, 06:23

The original standard for the portable (emergency use) EVSE that comes with the car specified that the EVSE must be within 300mm of the power point. This became slightly shorter when MMAL cut the Japanese power plug off and fitted the Australian 3 pin 15A rainproof connector. AFAIK.

The logic behind the 300mm was that the EVSE was protecting as much of the cable to the EV as possible, well protecting humans from electrical shock if there was cable damage etc. This made sense (originally ?) but in practice I think many people are necessarily bypassing this protection by using extention leads etc. It is an argument for hard wired (even in Doug's proposed housing form) EVSE so that as much of, if not all the cable, that is handled hundreds of times a year and may be wet or damaged, is protected by the EVSE system. i.e. no power in cable unless EVSE is handshaking with EV and the earth is present and earth leakage <30mA.

Keep in mind that the charging lead is handling more power that most people would ever have in a lead and plug... and that may be wet or damaged... and they handle regularly ! The EVSE has an important job to keep the public safe.
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 07 Jul 2013, 20:00

Forgot to put in text EVSE wall mount.

So twist style plug/socket for cable that comes with car.

No screwing on plug each time.

Of course wall mounted charger EVSE would be best or charging mat on ground.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 05:11

Loving the car more & more. 3 adults in the car & all happy with the amount of room, layout & ease of driving & of course lack of noise.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 07:04

Yep, I know what you mean ! We drive somewhere then ponder a moment.... that was battery power and so well engineered... it just works so well !
Easy to drive and quite relaxing. No gear changes. Traffic lights are just an excuse to use the regen. Zip around and then nod to yourself... that was pure electric.

Have you noticed yet how much ICE vehicles stink ? Image

edit:oops spelling
Last edited by acmotor on Mon, 08 Jul 2013, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 07:12

Very much so.
I have been at breaking point with my under powered Terios.
All the stress & frustration simply gone.
And yes the stink is very noticeable from ICE.
The first run I did just really put it in perspective with a clapped out old diesel ute in front of me bellowing out black smoke.

Driving back from Freo also at the lights near the cemetery with cars back up blocking the left lane & the cheeky i just sneaks past right up to the front Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 07:14

Sorry, right lane

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 07:22

The simple layout is just a winner. I'm a big fan of that & overall practical layout. There's not many non-4wd cars that will give a person who is 6'1 two inches + of head room.
With the Terios I would always say it dominated in the city.

Now the I-miev takes that title = it dominates!

g4qber

Buying a I-miev

Post by g4qber » Tue, 09 Jul 2013, 13:52

Chelsea sexton likes how analogue it is.
That was one of the reasons I went with the I.
Simplicity.
Also didn't have to go for the nissan "interview"
Seems that one has to sign a waiver that 15amp circuit will be installed in one's home before Nissan will sell the leaf.

I used to report smoky vehicles
smokyvehicles@dec.wa.gov.au

I'm glad that the I has a dedicated recirculation button
Volt needs 2 presses. Will be interesting to see the model s's recirc option on that massive touchscreen
Leaf also has a single button

coulomb
Site Admin

Buying a I-miev

Post by coulomb » Mon, 22 Jul 2013, 00:43

May I offer my apologies in advance for continuing this off-topic banter. I just realised that this was 5 pages back, too. Mea culpa.
Jeff Owen (back on page 1) wrote: You would get on well with Weber. A few weeks ago, I arrived at his house to find him grinding the imperial sizes off of a spanner and engraving it with the metric equivalent.

It's true!

That's the "16 mm" spanner at the bottom; the other stuff isn't part of the photo.

The 16 mm spanner gets used a lot when we remove the lids off some of the battery boxes, as we have unfortunately had to do too much of recently. Some of the bolt clearances are so tight, we have to use bolts with compact heads that normally you would need a 17 mm spanner for, but the 16 fits better.

The 16 mm designation is way more useful than the original pair of numbers in the imperial size, whatever it was. We know those battery boxes need a 17 mm spanner, except for the ones that are especially cramped, where the bolts are marked with an "S" (for Small as well as for Sixteen Image), for which we use the 16 mm spanner. Simple.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 21 Jul 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

g4qber

Buying a I-miev

Post by g4qber » Mon, 22 Jul 2013, 01:15

new John Hughes Silver - $31990, No sat nav & is driveaway price
http://www.johnhughesonline.mobi/view.p ... k/6469535/

rockingham mitsu ex-demo blue, finding price, this has satnav
http://www.ahg.com.au/wa/cars/details/1 ... shi-i-miev

Last edited by g4qber on Mon, 22 Jul 2013, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug » Sat, 03 Aug 2013, 23:09

Hi,
for anyone looking for a cheap Imiev:
http://www.drive.com.au/search/buy-used ... b68&from=0

2012 Imiev (in QLD), $21990, but no mention of ORCs.

...Should have waited!

regards Doug (but glad I did not wait).

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sat, 03 Aug 2013, 23:13

Good buy

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 02:59

Wait ? no way.Image
I've already waited all my life for a production EV.
Always said that the first one that came along I'd buy one.
I didn't know I was going to be sooooo happpy with it thought! Image

EVs in the future are going to be so fantastic and refined that ALL vehicles today will seem like my first Austin A40. In the mean time, enjoy !!!

Simon

Buying a I-miev

Post by Simon » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 05:31

acmotor wrote: EVs in the future are going to be so fantastic and refined that ALL vehicles today will seem like my first Austin A40. In the mean time, enjoy !!!

Image So true!!
I was reading a Tesla model S forum the other day and they were saying do NOT test drive a model S unless you are definitely going to buy one because it will make whatever ICE vehicle you are currently driving feel disappointing! Image

PlanB

Buying a I-miev

Post by PlanB » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 18:13

Excuse me but how did this imev thread get onto imperial unit bashing? My 1980s DOS based Smartwork PCB layout software with it's 0.05 inch resolution works just fine thank you very much!
Western Sydney dealership has 2012 demonstrator Leaf for $35k but still too short on range for my liking. What's gonna happen first 30kWh battery packs or 100wh/km efficiency to give me my 200km? I wish they would hurry up before my kids send me off to the retirement village!

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 18:37

Shame where not getting the base model Tesla S. Image

BigMouse

Buying a I-miev

Post by BigMouse » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 19:18

ZIPPIE11CAR wrote: Shame where not getting the base model Tesla S. Image

Nobody is. It's been discontinued due to "lack of demand".

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/01/tesl ... ry-option/

Software restricted range? That's pretty low.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 20:16

PlanB wrote: Excuse me but how did this imev thread get onto imperial unit bashing? My 1980s DOS based Smartwork PCB layout software with it's 0.05 inch resolution works just fine thank you very much!
Image Imperial bashing ? I thought it was practice for grinding the letters 'EVSE' off. Image
PlanB wrote: Western Sydney dealership has 2012 demonstrator Leaf for $35k but still too short on range for my liking. What's gonna happen first 30kWh battery packs or 100wh/km efficiency to give me my 200km? I wish they would hurry up before my kids send me off to the retirement village!

Physics works against us.
Battery efficiency and emotor efficiency themselves are over 90% already.
To get lower Wh/km you must reduce the two main factors, weight and aerodynamic drag. Weight of batteries will come down but at the expense of ride quality and loaded to unloaded handling changes on one hand. On the other, given that the battery pack weight in an EV may be ~30% of total weight then even a doubling of battery Wh/kg as cells evolve will only produce a 15% reduction in weight. However, as the model S 40kWh exercise demonstrates and most folk seek, it is more likely that more battery capacity would be fitted as cells evolve rather than reducing pack weight.
So there is not likely to be much reduction in Wh/km from battery technology in the reasonable future.

Aerodynamics. Are folk prepared to drive more aerodymanic vehicles ? I don't think they are. Also, extreme aerodymanics is not very road practical. My experience is also that the more aerodynamic a vehicle, the more it is effected by wind buffet and passing trucks. A prius is a serious example of this ! First hand experience there !
High weight (at least kg/litre) helps with wind stability so the two points above are interrelated.

I agree that the 200km 'target' is now more current.
A few years back I was part of the crowd that said 100km at 100km/h was a good EV target. I am fortunate that the 100km target suits me well.
Those with a 200km requirement may have a few years wait yet as I don't see that doubling (in real world numbers, not claims !!!!!) until later this decade. Range, as I see it, will be mostly about kWh in the pack (thinking model S 85kWh here).

Charging en-route is the best option for the near future if you range requirement is large ? Image

Yeah, Smartworks, that's a blast from the past. Just clicked on an archive copy. It still runs on a DOS window in W7 ! What, no herc srceen driver ? Image No rodent interface ?.
We've come a long way since then. Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 22:07

Genuine 200km range @ 100 km/h for $30,000 or under would attract a lot more interest I think.
More suited to Australia.

In saying that, what is the daily average for most of the population. 45km?

Maybe 100km is fine, but at a sub $20,000 price. If it was to be a second car for the daily commute. Then pitched at that market with a highlight to the daily kms,the price to recharge & the convenience of charging @ home.
Last edited by ZIPPIE11CAR on Sun, 04 Aug 2013, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Mon, 05 Aug 2013, 01:11

Yeah, that is one that I wonder about. Image
Charging at home with a 100kWh battery pack.
I know you are replacing a large fuel bill with a hopefully smaller electricity bill but that's one serious elecricity bill. I guess we would get used to it.

In my attempts to try and justify an EV capital cost, it was clear that the less km you did in a day, the less benefit the EV would be, even though it was all benefit, operating, servicing and environmental.
The sweet spot was when the range of the EV was around trip km + 20% each way if there was recharge available.
I count myself lucky then with the current state of EV technology.
30,000km has saved me nearly $5,000 over my ICE. I don't expect to ever recover costs but the 'cash hole in the water or is that oil' has gone.

Now this economic thinking was perhaps more related to the high cost of EVs than acknowledging the average daily trip (that as you remind us is well within present EV range).    Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Mon, 05 Aug 2013, 02:13

Haha. You need to tell them celebrities drive them :) or you heard that good information from a celebrity. The cost will mean nothing then :)

As you have stated with your saving of ~$5000. With people so used to the inconvenience of ICE, they probably don't look at long term savings even with the initial higher outlay for a car of its size.

Maybe they just need an iconic design & celebrities to drive them.
Crazy world but whatever works. Image Image

carnut1100
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by carnut1100 » Tue, 06 Aug 2013, 05:22

In my case I could commute for a week in an iMiev and most people I know are the same.
200km would be nice as that covers 99% of my driving including weekend trips and all but the current range would still do 90% of my driving and I do have a second car as do most people.
Range is now an issue only in people's minds....