Buying a I-miev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 05:23

Hi there,
I'm looking at buying an Imiev.
There are 2 I'm currently looking at the dealers.
One is a 2010 & the other is a 2012 both with about 10,000kms on the clock.
The 2010 is $5000 cheaper so far(without playing the 2 off).
Should I go the cheaper 2010 or go for 2012 due to the newer batteries?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Paul.

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 06:09

I'm not certain of the real differences between the 2010 and 2012 model but I would flag these items....

The J1772 charging on the 2010 model was early days and may not have complied fully with the standard. The clue is that the complete J1772 system requires an EVSE ( the in-line lunch box ) to charge.
If the 2010 model does not use this then it will not work with other, including public, J1772 chargers. i.e. if the white J1772 plug to i goes direct to a 3 pin power point (no box) then that means it will not work with general J1772 charging. Mitsi should upgrade those i's but it may not be that simple.

Regen braking on 2010 model may not have been available on the top end of the brake pedal. It may only work on the back-off of accelerator pedal. Simple test.... drive the i in D at say 40kmph, remove foot from accelerator, power meter should show some regen (blue). If you touch the brake pedal lightly the power meter should increase in the regen direction toward full regen (depending on incline etc). This will apply down to about 17kmph.
No accelerator or brake regen should then be zero but applying brake pedal should still produce some regen below 17kmph.
Lack of regen on brake pedal is not the end of the world if missing. Driving in 'B' mode gives much of regen anyway. There may be more mechanical brake wear without it though.

The 2012 model will have balance of 5 year battery warranty. I think that is worth the extra since batteries are the big ticket items (that we hope will last !) 2010 model will have ? only 1 or 2 years warranty left. Check.
Check what the balance of warranty is and if the (balance of) 10 year power train warranty is being offered. This warranty usually only applies to original owner, but 2012 model is from Mitsi dealer ? so maybe get warranty ? Check. May be bargaining point.

I would expect either vehicle to come with 2 remote keys. At worst, 1 remote and 1 manual. If that is not the case then have the imobiliser re-coded for your own security. Insurance companies should insist on that. May be bargaining point. Offer $160 for a second remote key as a negotiating point. That is all it would cost the dealer.

There is no spare tyre of course and front and rear wheels are not interchangeable. So check the tyre repair kit under the back seat and the compressor are in place and the bottle of 'glue' is in date.

The i will charge using the $350 holden volt EVSE lead if you need a spare.

If you can go the extra, buy the 2012, you'll be happy and leave the 2010 to someone who can't go the extra but still wants an i.   Image
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 06:28

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated.

The other point was the cheaper one was in Perth, the other in Bunbury Image & I'm in Perth.
But like you said, leave that for someone else wanting a start & go for 2012 with all the nice to haves for what is not much more before bargaining.

Mitsubishi said it would come with full 5 year warranty but that was from a question about how many years warranty the battery comes with.

Thanks for pointing out about the extra keys too, hadn't thought of that.

Decisions...

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 07:48

Be clear on the warranty and get it in WRITING of course. Anything more than just the balance of warranty is a bonus but if offered by a dealer then go for it.

Don't let location put you off. Once purchased all backup is via the national mitsi service network and the original selling dealer is out of the picture.   Image

The i will go Bunbury to Mandurah 107km nana driving, charge at the caravan park (5 hours at 15A or 7 at 10A) then on to Perth 70km. If you are new to it then plan another top up for an hour or so along the way e.g. Binningup beach caravan park.
(borrow a 15A charger as the one with i is 10A)

... or just get it transported up as part of the deal.

Keep in mind the 30th June... dealers will be keen to clear the stock before then, but you may not be the only punter.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 15:46

OK. Sounds good.
I looked at the maps last night & thought it was possible too to drive back.

Will call them today & see how it goes.

Thanks

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 16:23

Nanna driving= 90km/hr??

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 16:40

Yes. ( when speed limit >90kmph only Image)
I'm not usually that patient but when range or new territory are involved it makes a lot of difference.
Use a steady foot on accelerator.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 17:01

OK.
Yes, it will be hard but better than walking :)

jonescg

Buying a I-miev

Post by jonescg » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 17:18

AAARRRGH!! It's km/h! NOT kmph! SI units people! *head explodes*

Anyway, the other day I confirmed why I want to put a huge battery in the CRX. I accidentally took Welshpool Rd instead of staying on the Tonkin a bit longer - the result was I had to drive an extra 35 km around the airport on one-way motorway to get to my destination in High Wycomb. One of the reasons I don't like giant bypasses is they add considerable distance to your trip, despite saving a few minutes.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 17:28

:)

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 20:20

SI units are fine but when you grew up miles ago and then wrote software on CPM and DOS where characters like '/' caused problems in instructions and file names then you would too be less inclined to fuss over the actual characters ! Image Point taken though, although '/' to mean a division sign 'coz you can't access correct mathematical layout is also a compromise me thinks.
Putting an ICE in an EV is more head exploding IMHO Image

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Jeff Owen » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 21:26

jonescg wrote: AAARRRGH!! It's km/h! NOT kmph! SI units people! *head explodes*
You would get on well with Weber. A few weeks ago, I arrived at his house to find him grinding the imperial sizes off of a spanner and engraving it with the metric equivalent.

jonescg

Buying a I-miev

Post by jonescg » Tue, 25 Jun 2013, 21:53

Jeff Owen wrote:
You would get on well with Weber. A few weeks ago, I arrived at his house to find him grinding the imperial sizes off of a spanner and engraving it with the metric equivalent.

Image Image Image Image Image

Gold!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Lismore_Doug
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Lismore_Doug » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 03:36

I too am trying to buy an iMiev. I had bought the Charade from ebay, but the logistics of transporting it up from near Sheparton, then negotiating the madness of registration in NSW meant I asked to pull out.
Now I am looking at iMiev. The local dealer (cars not coke!) wants an arm & a leg, & offered a pittance for my Pug 307 hdi. I told him the facts of life: there are currently over 40 iMievs for sale in Australia. The cheapest 2012 with low kms is in Bunbury at $24990. It would cost $1400 to car-carrier it to the East coast, so nothing is impossible.
I think the price will crash on these cars: the batteries are Lithium-ion so can catch fire if mis-handled (as has happened twice in the world), & there is a current recall on the Vacuum pump (that has also caused accidents). Add to that the fact the cars are bo orphaned in Australia, & the 2010s will b coming off Lease soon & I think we could see prices in the $15K-$18K soon.
Nw for the good bit I think at the prices you could negotiate they are good value. (the reason I want one). Make up your own mind how much to offer, bty if the Bunbury car has not sold in over a month, I think I would start pretty low. (Take your arm twisting wife with you perhaps??)

When I get mine, one of the things I want to do is get an OBD2 computer interface so I can monitor the battery voltages frequently.There is a project already running that seems to be having success monitoring the iMiev.

For others information, I looked at getting a Novated lease to buy an iMiev, thinking I would save $thousands. Because the claimable running costs are about $2K/yr, the actual savings were $200/year! So not worth Novating one...

To end: get out the weights, build the muscles & twist their arms really hard!

regards Doug

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 03:55

Hi Doug,
The cheapest at the moment is actually at a Perth Mitsubishi dealer $19990, $20550 drive away. Without twisting...
The cars that where recalled for the batteries have as far as I know not affected any Australian cars.
The only one I know of was a battery in stock as a spare part that got called up in the recall.
Again, I'm not sure if the Vacuum pump has affected Australian cars?

Do they really catch fire that much? there are a lot in Europe & the US & I can't say I've seen any articles on the batteries catching on fire? Although I haven't hunted for it.

Thanks for the lease info. I was going to look at that but had suspected talking to other people it was not worth it.

The car also comes with a 5 year Mitsubishi Warranty so the Vacuum pump/batteries shouldn't be a concern providing that Mitsubishi honour their warranty if something happens.

As far as the bargaining, yes your right. I should try a bit harder as I was looking at a Prius as well due to range.

I just really like everything about an electric car(minus the range). I really hate the media crap about them being the future like there something new when they where the first production cars & just make sense.

OBD2 sounds like the way to go.

Thanks Doug.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 04:08

The batteries catching on fire seem to be a recent issue. 2013 batteries.
Hopefully the earlier ones avoided this. The recall doesn't include earlier ones so hopefully only a recent issue.

The cars sold here are 2012 & earlier models mainly.

This is from an article below:

Due to workers dropping the batteries & and excessive force applied to the batteries during a screening process.(not good I know)

Despite the i-MiEV being on sale in Australia since 2010, only one battery on local shores has been caught up in the Japanese recall, and it is a spare battery not fitted to any vehicle

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 05:05

I doubt that hitting a dealer with the untruth that iMiEV battery packs 'catch fire' will help in your negotiations. The only iMiEV battery to have a thermal runaway was a recent unit on test in a factory. None fitted to 15,000(?) vehicles has had any thermal runaway issue that I am aware of.
But then 60 litres of unleaded doesn't burn does it. Image

Honestly, the iMiEV price is where it would have been nice to be when the iMiEV was first launched. So just buy one and enjoy...... and don't expect too much for your ICE trade-in. It is like expecting a lot for your slide rule as a trade in on an ipad. Worlds apart in technology. Image

If you haven't already then check out the US iMiEV forum.
Those guys are a few years ahead of us. One has even fitted a tow bar !
http://myimiev.com/forum/index.php

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 05:17

Agree.

I don't think you could DIY anything close for that money.

Bargain

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 05:37

Lismore_Doug wrote: ..... I think the price will crash on these cars:.......

I think you are correct.
Perhaps not until closer to the end of warranty ?

OK, range is limited, bog ugly may be part of the description. It is small and the butt of shopping trolley jokes. One punter said "if it was tested in a offset frontal collision it would probably miss" Image

That didn't stop me buying though. Right now I am driving pure electric up to 200km per day. How about the rest of the world ?
I never tire of the EV grin and driving pure electric is in the heart.

BTW, if you want to see a price crash, just wait 'till the EVs come of age, then the ICE vehicles will suffer the price crash ! Image

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 05:59

Good point & hopefully in the not so distant future the battery pack can be upgraded to a better type with a longer range.

It's not like the car will be stuffed like ICE could be!

And if I wait for other car companies to offer one for around $25000 mark, it could be a long, long wait as companies have shown us before.

I currently drive a Daihatsu Terios(also Kei car) & love Kei size.

The narrowness is brillant in the ever increasing Perth traffic as I can normally squeeze past the bank ups.

ZIPPIE11CAR
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by ZIPPIE11CAR » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 06:14

Probably going to hold its value better than a VW with petrol engine & DSG auto gearbox also :)

acmotor

Buying a I-miev

Post by acmotor » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 07:04

Forget the resale value. You'll get your money back in fuel and service savings, not to mention the EV satisfaction.
Just enjoy while others only dream ! Image

bladecar

Buying a I-miev

Post by bladecar » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 15:37

Well, AC, you've definitely furthered the cause of imiev, with your attitude and discussion around it. I would have considered it by this time if I was about to buy an ev, I think.

Renard
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Renard » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 22:19

acmotor wrote: SI units are fine but when you grew up miles ago

I grew up miles ago, but in my schooldays, I can't say I really enjoyed calculating by hand, say, the price per million gallons of water at 4s 7d per acre-foot. These youngsters don't know how good they have it… Grump, grump. So let's make all efforts to purge those terrible units from our brains. Personally I couldn't wait to go SI.

By the by, I do wish that pdf files could be displayed here; then I could get a decent quality maths display with TeX or LaTeX
Renard

Renard
Groupie

Buying a I-miev

Post by Renard » Wed, 26 Jun 2013, 22:21

Jeff Owen wrote:

Oh truly? That is just gorgeous.
Renard