Aftermarket iMiEV battery upgrade project

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
adoepner
Noobie

Re: Aftermarket iMiEV battery upgrade project

Post by adoepner »

@francisco.shi Well done! Mitsubishi probably used soft motor mounts for the same reason they used ultra-cheap vibration isolators on the AC compressor (a common problem in Canada is that the rubber elements fall out).

With an essentially vibration-free power train, I can’t see why stiffer mounts would cause a problem.
reecho

Post by reecho »

francisco.shi wrote: Thu, 15 Jul 2021, 18:45 The plan is to make a box and sell it as an aftermarket product.
The one pedal driving is so much better.
On the subject of one pedal driving. I think I know why the Imiev is so slow to respond. The motor mounts are very soft and resonate at about 5hz (just a guess I haven't measured it yet) . So in order to avoid the resonant frequency of the motor mounts they put a low pass filter and some other filtering to get rid of the resonance. I don't know why they used such soft mounts.
Does anyone have any input on the mounts?
The same motor (and mounts) is used in the Outlander PHEV for the rear and the mounts have a bad tendency to fail too and they run the motor at 60kW peak.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I will do a bit more testing and see how far the motor will go.
The car sends a maximum torque of 1800 (if I hold the brake and floor it). I will try to send a higher torque command and see what happens.
There is a power limit that is set by the EV-ECU. My guess is to protect the battery. The motor certainly seems to keep pulling past the 50kw (at which point the EV-ECU tells the motor to shut down. I will need to check what the maximum current is for the cells and will see how far it goes. But if it in fact is a 60kw motor it will make the car feel really good.
Timmytool
Noobie

Post by Timmytool »

Hi long time lurker here with a <50km ranged minicab.

Could a product like a Haltech be suitable for this off the shelf, just custom firmware/software. With the right product(or upgradeable to differing models based on needs) allow things like CCS hardware, aftermarket onboard charger etc. Getting them into EVs might help the community at large, EV part swapping anyone, nice 22kw charger on that wrecked EV, or tesla rear end swaps with existing ev parts still working etc.

They have an ecosystem of hardware controllers and software, maybe more(or maybe less?) work than a custom box but a whole lot more upsides if they are in on it. and they are Aussies
Last edited by Timmytool on Sat, 17 Jul 2021, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

If it is the same engine as the outlander, the guy who makes the PHEV box for it was able to get 70kw out of it.
He experimented with changes to the control electronics a fair bit, even though the actual product he sells (EV box) just changes the accellerator pedal signal.
You can find some discussion in
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/v ... =10&t=2191
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I did one more test of range.
205km to the charge warning.
233km to turtle sign.
Not sure how much further it will go before it shuts down but not willing to find out.
Battery voltage until turtle mode was 297.5v (3.38v/cell).
reecho

Post by reecho »

My 2010 I-Miev hit a hard brick wall when the first cell hit 2.75V. Only did it once. 300m from home. :-)
adoepner
Noobie

Post by adoepner »

Motor mount video showing the amount of flex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuR4AHUFrEE.

Mounts could be stiffened up like this: https://www.suspension.com/blog/do-it-y ... t-inserts/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSiifpNjjI

Looks like getting the mounts out of the car may be a real pain, however: https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine ... d=83704&q=
wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings »

@francisco.shi A question about your range test. What speed or driving conditions was that done at?
caniOn has report upto 63kW draw from the battery on my Imiev...

@reecho My imiev is brought that hard 2.8V limit to my attention recently. Turtle appeared while accelerating hard. EvBAtMon showed it happened at 2.8V. I think I have a dieing cell.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

60kph normal city driving with a heavy foot. I basically floor it until it gets to 60 then back off and don't coast to a stop. I slow down but use really heavy regen for the last 10m or so. Pretty much like you would do if you are driving an auto ICE and use the brakes for stopping. And no aircon or heater. Very little highway driving.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

If you want to know what I mean by heavy regen drive to 30kph then put it in reverse and floor it. That is roughly how hard it will stop with the one pedal driving.
richi
Groupie

Post by richi »

Nice work! Suggestion for your software: In C mode, defeat all regen, so you can coast at zero pedal (i.e., emulate the Outlander's B0 mode).
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

There is no need. The current scheme allows you to coast as easy as an ICE automatic or brake with the full torque of the motor without having to change modes. If you sit on the passenger seat or follow behind on another car you would swear I am using the brakes and I can drive so smoothly you would think the regen is turned off.
To tell you the truth you need to drive it to understand how good it is.
There is no EV on the market that can follow me and not have to use the brakes.
If you are ever in Brisbane and want to have a test drive let me know.
In the beginning I thought of having adjustment for the level of regen and to have an option to turn off one pedal driving but so far no one that has driven it has said the regen is too much or hard to control and when I ask them if they want me to put it back to original they said no. These includes people that have never driven an EV and have never experienced regen braking.
It certainly feels wierd when you first drive it but every one becomes very smooth after a few minutes of driving it.
There are also so many things you can do with it that you can not do with an EV or an ICE automatic or even a Tesla one pedal.
As I said you really have to try it.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I did Mt Glorious today.
GOM at start of the trip 234km
GOM at the bottom 172 of Mt Glorious
GOM at the top 137.
Distance traveled 8km.
GOM at the bottom 144.
Distance traveled 8km *.
GOM when I got back home 178km.
Total trip 75.6k.
When I got to the bottom and started driving on the flat the GOM just kept going up. It got as high as 192km.
I guess this means the GOM got confused. :lol:

*No brakes were harmed during this test.
lalorden
Noobie

Post by lalorden »

@francisco.shi Well done on cracking this. Have you come across a way to control the Aircon during charging? The minicabs don't have the inlet to the battery pack from the aircon but shouldn't be too difficult to install a duct from the footwell A/C outlet. Tricky bit is enabling the AC when charging.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I need to check on this. When I get a bit of time I will see If I can find out how to run the aircon.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

francisco.shi wrote: Sat, 24 Jul 2021, 15:05
When I got to the bottom [ edit: of Mt Glorious ] and started driving on the flat the GOM just kept going up. It got as high as 192km.
I guess this means the GOM got confused. :lol:
I think this is a standard feature. The one time I ran flat on the i-Miev was a similar situation, big hill at the end of the trip, GOM said I wouldn't make it home, but coming down the GOM kept going up, said I had 15km to spare, but then stopped moving 1km from home (no turtle, just would not drive).

[ Edited Coulomb: added context ]
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I had it fully charged to make sure I would have plenty of battery. It is a very long twisty climb. If you want to smoke your brakes that is the place to do it.
I was hoping to tempt some race car into trying to keep up and smoke his brakes but no one was available.
I was going to tell them I had just got new super brakes and was told they would never overheat and wanted to see if it was true. But no one was available.
I was going to get to the bottom of the hill get out of the car and touch the brakes and tell them it is true that they don't overheat. :lol:
Would have loved to see their face. :lol:
Didn't use the brakes at all on the way down so I should have been ok.
reecho

Post by reecho »

From the OEM the GOM in the I-Miev bases the calculations on the last 15 miles of driving or so.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

That would explain it. It was 8km of driving with heavy regen all the way so I guess it would have had negative consumption.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

I had a problem today and i wonder if someone has had this happen.
I tried to start the car but it wouldn't go to ready mode.
No errors. I even checked with the scan tool and no stored error codes.
Before I got into the car I accidentally press the lock button and then quickly unlocked. After trying to get it started I decided to get off the car. I closed the door, locked the car then unlocked it got in and started straight away.
Has this happened to anyone?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 16:35 I tried to start the car but it wouldn't go to ready mode.
Older iMiEVs (and probably MiEV minicabs as well) seem to be prone to problems with the shifter: worn or not adjusted cable, sticking, and electrical problems with the contacts.

Maybe when you closed the door and came in again, it had bumped the shifter to now properly register as being in park gear?

Or of course, if you didn't put it into park...
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 16:35 I had a problem today and i wonder if someone has had this happen.
Before I got into the car I accidentally press the lock button and then quickly unlocked. After trying to get it started I decided to get off the car. I closed the door, locked the car then unlocked it got in and started straight away.
My wife had a something like that happen to her. I worked out she had armed the alarm (from what I can tell it was one fitted by the dealer). She had to turn the car off, lock, unlock and try again.
I believe the alarm is a clam module (well that's what we call them at my work). All clam modules do is monitor the signals from the bcm for the indicators and central locking etc and if it looks like the normal sequence of events it disarms the alarm and immobilizer

I've also had a similar thing happen to me when I shift into gear too fast after turning the car on. When that happens to me I just have to turn the car off and back on again
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

coulomb wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 17:06
francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 16:35 I tried to start the car but it wouldn't go to ready mode.
Older iMiEVs (and probably MiEV minicabs as well) seem to be prone to problems with the shifter: worn or not adjusted cable, sticking, and electrical problems with the contacts.

Maybe when you closed the door and came in again, it had bumped the shifter to now properly register as being in park gear?

Or of course, if you didn't put it into park...
It wasn't the gear lever because the display showed it to be on park so I guess that means it is reading the switches correctly.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

brendon_m wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 18:04
francisco.shi wrote: Mon, 26 Jul 2021, 16:35 I had a problem today and i wonder if someone has had this happen.
My wife had a something like that happen to her. I worked out she had armed the alarm (from what I can tell it was one fitted by the dealer). She had to turn the car off, lock, unlock and try again.
I believe the alarm is a clam module (well that's what we call them at my work). All clam modules do is monitor the signals from the bcm for the indicators and central locking etc and if it looks like the normal sequence of events it disarms the alarm and immobilizer

I've also had a similar thing happen to me when I shift into gear too fast after turning the car on. When that happens to me I just have to turn the car off and back on again
I have had the problem with moving the gear lever too quick but when I do that I get a warning light. If I put it back to park turn off, wait for the warning light to go out and try again it works.

The immobiser sounds like may be the reason.
This is the second time that has happened. The first time I thought it had some thing to do with the can bus bridge doing something wrong but I wouldn't get any fault codes or warning lights. So I locked the car went home to pick up my laptop came back got the laptop to display what the can bridge was doing then when i truned the car on it went to ready straight away.

I have been doing lots of testing to make sure I haven't overlooked anything and this had me a bit worried that I had done something wrong.