MiEV Melbourne, potential regen braking issue

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
walkingthedog
Groupie

MiEV Melbourne, potential regen braking issue

Post by walkingthedog »

Hey AEVA brains trust,
Last night my MiEV conked out and upon basic testing this morning, it seems that when I drive it in B mode is when it conks out. I tested it around the streets in Eco mode and it hasn't conked out. I was able to get home in D mode

When it conks out there is a ding sound, the yellow high voltage issue light (car with '!' on it) light comes on as well as the TCL OFF and the car with swerve lines behind it. If I drive a bit more it goes into Turtle mode

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm very much a novice when it comes to cars and all the acronyms so I was wondering if you guys would recommend I take it to an auto electrician, a mechanic or a wizard? Unfortunately most of the MiEV wizards seem to be in QLD and I am in VIC.
reecho

Re: MiEV Melbourne, potential regen braking issue

Post by reecho »

First thing off that bat is check the condition of the 12v battery and make sure the DCDC converter is charging properly.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

I also wonder if the thorttle calibration is off (throttle position returning an out of bounds reading due to 0 point drift)
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

reecho wrote: Sat, 01 May 2021, 17:51 First thing off that bat is check the condition of the 12v battery and make sure the DCDC converter is charging properly.
Ah, damn. Just saw this. If the battery condition is fine what could it be? I just took it to an Auto electrician down the road. Forgot to check the battery first *facepalm*

Thanks for your response Reecho
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

antiscab wrote: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:50 I also wonder if the thorttle calibration is off (throttle position returning an out of bounds reading due to 0 point drift)
Hmm.. how would I check this?
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

an obd scanner would likely be easiest, though I don't know of one off the top of my head that shows throttle position

the 12v battery can be checked by watching it's voltage before, during and after car turn on and during a hard acceleration event (I wonder if the dc-dc powers off under hard acceleration to reduce strain on the traction battery?)
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

walkingthedog wrote: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:12
antiscab wrote: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:50 I also wonder if the thorttle calibration is off (throttle position returning an out of bounds reading due to 0 point drift)
Hmm.. how would I check this?
That is a good hint.
The problem appears to be less pronounced when driving in E mode, and avoiding it to go into regen is easier in that mode, it may be that a mechanical fault in the accelerator linkage causes a wrong reading on the device that controls power (potentiometer?).
DougGlover
Noobie

Post by DougGlover »

I think the iMiEV 12V system is very basic - constand high voltage when operating (or soon after connecting charge). No 'smart altenator' activity I have seen.
nuggetgalore
Groupie

Post by nuggetgalore »

DougGlover wrote: Tue, 04 May 2021, 08:40 I think the iMiEV 12V system is very basic - constand high voltage when operating (or soon after connecting charge). No 'smart altenator' activity I have seen.
Correct.
DC-DC converter is charging the auxiliary battery as soon as ignition is on "READY" or the traction battery is charging. 14.xx V, dropping a little bit if fans or other 12V items are on.
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

The battery was fine, the Auto Electrician wasn't really able to fix it. Really nice guys, they did a basic check, scanned it and cleared some DTCs but yeah. The issue for me is it's my work car (I'm a Dog Walker) so it can't be out of action for so long and if it is I need someone who can fix it asap. Sadly I may have to find another vehicle.. I'm looking into potentially getting an Outlander PHEV
cruzxia
Noobie

Post by cruzxia »

I have had this issue. It is caused by the gear selector switch at the back of the car. When you move the gearleaver the switch tells the ecu what mode you want. The switch has a dual circuit contractor, and if there is a mismatch between two circuits, one on and the other off (error condition) then the dash goes bananas. It can be cause by a dirty contact in the switch, or plug or the switch is warn out.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

walkingthedog wrote: Wed, 05 May 2021, 05:50 The battery was fine, the Auto Electrician wasn't really able to fix it. Really nice guys, they did a basic check, scanned it and cleared some DTCs but yeah.
Did they say what the codes were?
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

cruzxia wrote: Wed, 05 May 2021, 05:50 It is caused by the gear selector switch at the back of the car.
This is a MiEV (minivan), not an iMiEV (sedan), so the gear selectors are different in at least outward appearance. But I can certainly believe that they both have similar issues.

The fact that the problem only happens in B strongly supports your diagnosis.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

Thanks for your response guys. It's a MiEV with an iMiEV OBC/DCDC converter. It seemed to work in D or Eco mode but now just does the same in any mode..

I'll get the fault codes from the Auto Electrician later today. If it is this issue do you think the thing you're talking about would be easy to find for a novice like myself or should I get in touch with the Auto Electrician again and get them to check that?
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

Fault codes:
Immobilzer and ETACS - Electronic time and alarm control system
U1508
U1509

and

Meter
U1116 KOS CAN timeout/not equipped

Both of these are not applicable as I have wind up windows and no keyless operation system

I think my only chance to get back on the road is to find the gear selector switch to see if there is a dirty contact in the switch, or plug or the switch is warn out.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I'm surprised that there aren't any other codes. Were the lights on when they scanned it? Did they try to scan the ABS system and EV ecu specifically? Or did they just do a system search (which doesn't always bring up everything)?

Do you have or have access to an OBD dongle?
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

Yeah, I pulled up the exact same codes with my OBDlink MX+
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

Does anyone know how/where to clean the dirty contact in the switch? and/or how to see if the switch is warn out?
Attachments
I quickly sprayed in both sides of this plug
I quickly sprayed in both sides of this plug
gear selector plug.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Found the gear selector, just not sure what else I can do
Found the gear selector, just not sure what else I can do
gear selector.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 99 times
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Was the light on when you read the codes?
And does your app read the abs?
cruzxia
Noobie

Post by cruzxia »

You can give the following a go. ( Ignition off)
1. Plug and unplug the connector half a dosen times to wipe off any terminal surfacce corossion.
2. Move the gearleaver backwards and forwards about a dosen times to try wipe the switch clean.

Try the car and see if it improves or goes away.

I read the workshop manual and studied the wiring diagram to figure out what this issue was.
My car had been only used in D by my partner, when i shifted to B one day it went nuts. So in my case the contacts had a bad connection. I did the above and it sorted the problem.

If you look at the manual you can probibly check the switch using a meter and check that each gear state is correct.
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

Thanks cruzxia, I can't see any surface corrosion but I'm also really not sure what to be looking for exactly. where are the contacts? I'm not sure how to use the meter to check each gear state is correct. Sorry. I'm very much a noob. I do have a meter but not sure where to put the pointy things
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

After spraying the WD40 the van now doesn't go into ready, all the warning lights are on. The battery level is 0 and the charge light flashes. The charger turns on at the wall and attempts to charge but doesn't. The OBDlink won't connect to the ECU now either so brendon_m I can't tell you if it reads abs but I'm pretty sure it does from previous scans
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

That sounds like you have created a second fault possibly either blown a fuse or something is unplugged. Check the fuses and for any connectors where you have been. Maybe even unplug and replug any connectors to make sure they are seated all the way

Edit to say, does the OBD link still power up? Lights on it but no communication?
Last edited by brendon_m on Thu, 06 May 2021, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

walkingthedog wrote: Thu, 06 May 2021, 10:10 where are the contacts?
They are inside that black box you took a picture of. It's probably sealed and may break if you try to open it
walkingthedog
Groupie

Post by walkingthedog »

brendon_m wrote: Thu, 06 May 2021, 10:34 That sounds like you have created a second fault possibly either blown a fuse or something is unplugged. Check the fuses and for any connectors where you have been. Maybe even unplug and replug any connectors to make sure they are seated all the way

Edit to say, does the OBD link still power up? Lights on it but no communication?
Yep, the OBDlink does power up. It just doesn't connect to the ECU