my $12 EVSE wall box

Leaf Interest Group
EmpowerRepower
Groupie

my $12 EVSE wall box

Post by EmpowerRepower » Mon, 20 Apr 2015, 19:31

Having bought a Holden Volt portable EVSE last week, with the plan to mount it to my carport wall, I started thinking about some sort of box to keep it in. A trip to Bunnings didn't come to anything, and then we visited a discount shop, and came up with the idea of mounting a plastic storage tub on the wall. The EVSE has a very short cord, so there wasn't much choice on the positioning. The lid is attached at the top with cable ties, so can just be lifted to access the charger, but is very light-weight. It doesn't have the security of a lockable cabinet, but provides some weather protection. I quite like the retro ICE theme.

ImageImageImageImage
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com

Johny

my $12 EVSE wall box

Post by Johny » Mon, 20 Apr 2015, 19:42

It may help in terms of it doesn't look nearly as "stealable" as the EVSE. It probably appeals to me more than most for the classic car feel.

EmpowerRepower
Groupie

my $12 EVSE wall box

Post by EmpowerRepower » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 04:19

Yes, I'm not too worried about it getting stolen in my quiet street, but out of sight is better. I've also added a label to both EVSEs that says "electric car charger" in case a potential thief reads it, and realises that it is useless to them (can't hurt).

Your car is seriously cute, and your dogs are too. I have a spoodle called Xena, named after the Princess Warrior. Naturally, she is a total wimp, a disgrace to her name.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com

Johny

my $12 EVSE wall box

Post by Johny » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 15:48

Ha - I have a feeling that a dog's ferociousness is totally curbed when they are named Xena.