EV Highway Perth to Augusta to where-ever

Nissan EV Interest Group
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I can't see why a car with 40 kWh on board should weigh much more than 1600 kg. With a nice efficient motor, you can easily get 300 km from this vehicle. Is it a waste of effort to lug 20 kWh worth of batteries around needlessly? Of course. But so is using a vehicle with 4WD, long range tanks, heavy duty bullbar and a snorkel to pick the kids up from school.

It will just be a matter of compromise, and meeting the expectations and capabilities somewhere in between. I think a charging network which allows the majority of today's EV drivers to get around is a bloody good start. Then we can get to a point where we can choose where we charge up on the open road.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

I like your idea of TrainChademo OffGrid, 600v DC already there in the centenary. So I guess the BetterPlace receiver owns all their defunct CHAdeMO chargers?
Johny

Post by Johny »

The Trams here in Melbourne are 600 VDC same as my car. People look at me strangely when I chuck the chain over the wires. Can't seem to get a decent return path to the tracks through my tyres though (it's a joke guys Image).
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

I don't know what you're drinking lately, but I think I want some
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Johny, you just need a big piece of copper braid to drag along like a giant slot car.

PlanB, I'm guessing you mean "catenary", and according to this article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_elect ... _Australia only Sydney and Melbourne use DC for their trains (1.5 kV DC). Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth use 25 kV AC (single phase).
Last edited by weber on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Tritium_James wrote: Probably even worse than you think - all those stations were put in by Better Place, require one of their cards to use, and probably aren't currently operational. Is there anyone nearby that could check?

I've checked it's dead it's a Schneider unit. it's across the road from MacDonalds and only a short distance from the F3 the location is fine!

Read the report on electric cars and there is another 3 "wastes" between Newcastle and Sydney too.
Ausgrid report
Last edited by Gabz on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

Gabz wrote:
Tritium_James wrote: Probably even worse than you think - all those stations were put in by Better Place, require one of their cards to use, and probably aren't currently operational. Is there anyone nearby that could check?

I've checked it's dead it's a Schneider unit. it's across the road from MacDonalds and only a short distance from the F3 the location is fine!

Read the report on electric cars and there is another 3 "wastes" between Newcastle and Sydney too.
Ausgrid report

sounds like a situation waiting to be hacked LOL
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

That would be the spell checker Dave, maybe dealerships are the way of the future?
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

PlanB wrote: That would be the spell checker Dave,
Yes, of course, Chris. Image
maybe dealerships are the way of the future?

The way of the future of what? Fast charge points? But aren't dealerships usually in major cities, where we don't really need fast charge points? Australia being the archipelago that it is, (population-wise).
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

weber wrote: But aren't dealerships usually in major cities, where we don't really need fast charge points?

There were car dealerships in Wyong, population 3116, so I think they're in every major town.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the problem is the business case lets say installing a dc fast charge is $90k
$1 a day for electricity service charge.

how many customers would you need if you picked highish fast charge cost $10 a car ? (blink charged between $5-$8USD)
offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Then you need to think about the small customer base of less than 1000 cars .It gets even worse when you consider how often that customer base will actually use the fast charger. If you only need it for long trips how often will you realistically use it.

The reality is most people are stuck at work Monday -Friday and if they are lucky once in while they will do a road trip when they have time.

Kurt
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

coulomb wrote:
weber wrote: But aren't dealerships usually in major cities, where we don't really need fast charge points?

There were car dealerships in Wyong, population 3116, so I think they're in every major town.

Good point. If you go to Nissan Australia's Find-a-Dealer page and type in a bogus postcode, like 0, it will show _all_ the Nissan dealers in Australia, then you can zoom in on your area of interest. I think you're onto something there PlanB. I hope they can figure out that they should start with the dealers just _outside_ the big cities. In fact Wyong Nissan would be a great place to start.

Presumably Nissan won't be too interested in charging Mitsubishi's and vice versa. The business case is fine. What they would be doing is making the buying of their EV more attractive to more people, and it would be a brand loyalty scheme.
Last edited by weber on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

But I'm forgetting something. Nissan and Mitsubishi may have to start selling coffee, coke and burgers.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

weber wrote: But I'm forgetting something. Nissan and Mitsubishi may have to start selling coffee, coke and burgers.

All those mechanics who only service the EVs once a year will have to do something with the rest of the time. brake fluid burger anyone ?
Last edited by Gabz on Thu, 24 Oct 2013, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

There is definitely no business case for fast charge units outside the city, or in. But there is no business case for public barbecues or public toilets either.

So don't think of them as a business case Image We're pushing for these to be installed as a public amenity, close to another amenity which does offer food/drink/movies/amusement. I can't see a need for as many charge stations as we currently have petrol stations, since 99% of your charging is done from home.

The first petrol station back in the 1900's probably went broke from lack of business, but the ones who followed sure didn't.

Think of this as one of the first steps on our way towards gas-free transport infrastructure. A good subtitle to it would be "travel on the right side of history" Image
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Adverse Effects wrote:
Gabz wrote:

Ausgrid report

sounds like a situation waiting to be hacked LOL

Ok I've read the install manual http://download.schneider-electric.com/ ... B54439.pdf

Whenever your ready to commit a crime tell me ? maybe the AEVA should approach aus grid to see if we can run them now.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

the better place charger at phoenix holden seems to work with my RFID card.
one side kept on faulting though 1 year ago, probably not fixed.

will try to check other locations in Perth sometime.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Gabz wrote: maybe the AEVA should approach aus grid to see if we can run them now.

I've had that thought. I'm sure between us we have the technical expertise to get them going again.

But there is probably more work in organising the business side - who pays for the electricity, who does the maintenance, who oversees the user database, etc etc.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

There are two carparks at Westfield Hornsby, the larger one has a non-functional Better Place quickcharger on the roof.
Read more: ozleaf forum

Anyone seen the one at westfield tuggerah ?

just because better place is dead doesn't mean these won't work all you have to do is disable the rfid tag and a new sim card for monitoring...
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

So do we need a lawyer or a screwdriver or both to resurrect this better place legacy?
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng »

Gabz wrote:

Is it completely off or does it display an out of order message? I spoke to a council officer about it a few months ago he said that if the emergency stop is tripped a technician has to come out to reset it but it might just be a matter of clearing the fault code.

I'm on the Ozleaf forum and we're meeting up at Hornsby this Sunday, I'm going to try to enter the faults screen and find out what's wrong with the one there. Still not much use for most of us without a RFID tag though.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

rang 1800800246 support number. goes to chargepoint Australia.

checked Melville and city motors Holden. both still accept my rfid tag.
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 25 Oct 2013, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

Feng wrote:
Gabz wrote:

Is it completely off or does it display an out of order message? I spoke to a council officer about it a few months ago he said that if the emergency stop is tripped a technician has to come out to reset it but it might just be a matter of clearing the fault code.

I'm on the Ozleaf forum and we're meeting up at Hornsby this Sunday, I'm going to try to enter the faults screen and find out what's wrong with the one there. Still not much use for most of us without a RFID tag though.

it was several months a go actually before I got the EV that i last checked and it was marked as out of service, but had power.

I'm thinking about coming down to shelly beach to say hello to you guys katrina is my mother in law

I've also sent a email to smart grid people who gave this reply.
The trial of electric vehicles and charging stations for the Smart Grid, Smart City trial has finished and there are no plans to reinstate the network built for the trial. The installation of the charging stations for the trial was only for the purpose of collecting data regarding user behaviour and charging information. The primary objective of this data was assessing the future impact of the rollout of Electric Vehicles on the electricity grid.
but they said the would check to see if they could tell me who currently owns it.

by the way please take some pictures of the hornsby or tuggerah one and add them to recargo so i can find them back.
Last edited by Gabz on Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng »

g4qber wrote: rang 1800800246 support number. goes to chargepoint Australia.

checked Melville and city motors Holden. both still accept my rfid tag.
There's no chance the BP charger will accept a Chargepoint tag is there? I'll have a swipe with my Chargepoint tag if I can clear the fault code tomorrow.