EV Highway Perth to Augusta to where-ever

Nissan EV Interest Group
Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 14:19

Gabz wrote:
I'm thinking about coming down to shelly beach to say hello to you guys katrina is my mother in law

I've also sent a email to smart grid people who gave this reply.
The trial of electric vehicles and charging stations for the Smart Grid, Smart City trial has finished and there are no plans to reinstate the network built for the trial. The installation of the charging stations for the trial was only for the purpose of collecting data regarding user behaviour and charging information. The primary objective of this data was assessing the future impact of the rollout of Electric Vehicles on the electricity grid.
but they said the would check to see if they could tell me who currently owns it.

by the way please take some pictures of the hornsby or tuggerah one and add them to recargo so i can find them back.
Okay, I'll grab some photos and report my findings with resetting the charger.
Last edited by Feng on Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 14:31

Hacking the charger

Hmm Let me see, couple of jumper wires and a quick tweak with the screw driver and we are all set Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2j7Q998jyE

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 15:20

offgridQLD wrote: Let me see, couple of jumper wires and a quick tweak with the screw driver and we are all set

Heh. What could possibly go wrong?

But it's not rocket science. The biggest hassle might be getting keys to open panels. I have no idea if Googling "lock picking" would help with these sorts of locks. Since they control access to potential electric death, they might be more sophisticated than your average house door lock.

Where I used to work, this was a sort of recreational activity. All for the technical interest of it, of course.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 15:48

I wouldn't mind catching up with some like minded Leaf owners, what time is the Hornsby Westfield get together?

Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 15:55

We're meeting at the BP charger at 8:30am and having breakfast at Westfield Hornsby before venturing up to Shelly Beach for lunch. Might catch you there!

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 20:12

added the 2 fast chargers to recargo.
Hornsby
Morriset

I haven't found the one a Tuggerah Westfield I'll have another look tomorrow.
Last edited by Gabz on Sat, 26 Oct 2013, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James » Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 16:52

Hitting the E-stop on a Chademo charger *must* trip the incoming 3-phase breakers - kind of stupid for stuff out in public but that's the spec. So it requires someone to open the unit and flip the breaker.

Johny

Post by Johny » Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 16:58

Tritium_James wrote: Hitting the E-stop on a Chademo charger *must* trip the incoming 3-phase breakers - kind of stupid for stuff out in public but that's the spec.
That's a maintainance nightmare - designed in.

Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James » Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 21:15

That's why we've put the E-stop on ours out of the way, and behind a 'break glass' window. Less likely to have some random passerby hit the button...

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Mon, 28 Oct 2013, 22:58

So is there anybody out there with a plan for CHAdeMO roll out in Oz TJ? Is there gonna be a Vfill in every McDonalds or are we all just waiting about to see what happens next?

Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 16:18

We're going to roll out half a dozen ourselves around Brisbane / Gold Coast in the next few months as a bit of a showcase.

But unfortunately we haven't sold 1000 to maccas just yet!

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 16:36

James - Can I suggest you put them on the outskirts of town, and a couple of key spots:

Aratula (Cunningham Hwy)
Gatton (Warrego Hwy)
Beerwah (Glasshouse Hwy)

One thing the EV trials found was that apart from taking up a parking space, the faster chargers were under-utilised in the city. I also suggest these as I have family in Warwick and a quick charge at Aratula will ensure I can get to the top of the hill one day Image
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 16:58

+ one on that suggestion.Fast chargers don't have a lot of use in the city.

I would use the Beerwah (Glasshouse Hwy) location or some place close to that a lot in my Imiev. The other locations sound good to with just 3 or 4 chargers you can cover a big area.

Kurt

Feng
Groupie

Post by Feng » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 17:06

Same, corridors and outskirts would be useful. If there's one somewhere between Sydney and Canberra it'll make driving interstate practical. Can't wait til that happens!

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 17:17

I think it may be difficult for TJ to install chargers as showcase items in places where they'll actually be the most useful. The most useful most likely won't be the most trafficed places.
One of those "torn between" situations.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 17:26

Ok install a bunch of dummy units in the CBD for advertising. You know like the TV's at Ikea just a outer skin Image This will save you the trouble of connecting them up to power and maintaining them with all the vandalism in the CBD.

Then install 1/2 as many real working chargers in locations that people will actually use them. So when we ev enthusiast spread the word how great they are the people in the city will know what we are tanking about "oh yes TJ charger like the one in the middle queen street mall"

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 19:20

We all might be a bit surprised on usage for CBD locations. Obviously we're biased, but we use the one we've installed in our carpark all the time - it's really useful. You don't need to do a full charge: it's adding about 50km range in 10 minutes, so just a quick go for 5-10 minutes is great.

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 19:46

Goulburn, Yass, Gundagi, Albury would suit me real fine. Wish I was a super salesman instead of a TechHead, it would be great to get 4 strung out along the Hume. What's the commission on each one I flog TJ?

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 20:00

Yes if it's at your workplace and you have free parking there than sure you would use it. If I personally was visiting the city from the sunshine coast and could get back again after 30 min of charging then great.

But I feel any one living within 25km of the cbd wouldn't need it as they just charge overnight at home.

Being a fast charger it dose change the dynamics of it a bit in that your not hanging around a inconvineant location for hrs .

Kurt.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

weber
Site Admin

Post by weber » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 20:05

Tritium_James wrote: We all might be a bit surprised on usage for CBD locations. Obviously we're biased, but we use the one we've installed in our carpark all the time - it's really useful. You don't need to do a full charge: it's adding about 50km range in 10 minutes, so just a quick go for 5-10 minutes is great.

If I had one installed in my "carpark" I'd probably use it too. Image But if I have to drive 15 km to one, wait around for 10 minutes and then drive 15 km back, taking an hour all-up and gaining only 20 km in range, then I'm probably not going to bother.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 22:07

offgridQLD wrote: Ok install a bunch of dummy units in the CBD for advertising. You know like the TV's at Ikea just a outer skin Image This will save you the trouble of connecting them up to power and maintaining them with all the vandalism in the CBD.

Then install 1/2 as many real working chargers in locations that people will actually use them. So when we ev enthusiast spread the word how great they are the people in the city will know what we are tanking about "oh yes TJ charger like the one in the middle queen street mall"

Kurt

Good thinking !
Another twist.... fit the CBD units with a 10A charger only so we can turn up with 70% charge and leave 30 minutes later with the magic 80% charge. As if normal end of DC fast charge Image
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 22:25

It's funny,
           Our Brisbane house is about 10km from the CBD on Monday I charged my Imiev to 100% then thought oops that wasn't the best idea as I most likely wasn't going to need the car until Friday. So rather than just let the car sit there all week bursting at 100% SOC. I just took it for a joy ride to scrub the surface charge of the top of the lithiums and get it down a little.

I just drove how ever no real attention to economy and before I new it I was more or less in the CBD. It wasn't until I did a U turn at south bank and started heading home that the first bar on the fuel gauge dropped off it dose this at 92% SOC Image so If I drove to the city on a full charge I couldn't even fast charge there. As I would be above 80% soc already. I guess I could if I drove there the next day but then I could just charge at home over night.

It's kind of hard to setup a service station when everyone has one at home unless your beyond the range of your home.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 29 Oct 2013, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Wed, 30 Oct 2013, 01:23

offgridQLD wrote:.....
It's kind of hard to setup a service station when everyone has one at home unless your beyond the range of your home.
Kurt

That is the truth about recharging.

Recharging highways (at this stage of the battery technology) should be the real focus, at least for DC fast charging. Most other charging can be from normal power points or devoted EVSEs.
The millions spent on 'charging trials'in cities could have bought quite a few EV highways around Oz.
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 30 Oct 2013, 13:59

perhaps we could take a LEAF (pardon the pun) from this organisation?

http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/free-charging-stations

I did suggest at an AEVA Perth branch meeting that either the AEVA itself could sponsor such an idea or form a separate non profit body to put EVSEs out there.

This would generally save EV owners from using their trickle/emergency chargers. Although they still would need to use a Mennekes to Car Mennekes / J1772 cable.
http://therevproject.com/trials/charging-trial.php

These devices are already 32A, but with Mennekes connectors, similar to the ones already used by Elektromotive.
Reason being that in Europe/UK, they had/have Mennekes or J1772 connectors on their commercial EVs.
I believe that BMW will still be sticking with Mennekes on the top socket of their Combo socket.
GM Spark has a J1772 on top on its Combo socket.

ooh
just spotted this site while googling "free charge stations"
http://www.freejuicebar.com/index.php

perhaps we can take ask Nissan to extend this to Australia and New Zealand?
http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/inde ... y/id/25290
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 30 Oct 2013, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

Johny

Post by Johny » Wed, 30 Oct 2013, 14:10

Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow create a simple but secure system of allowing other AEVA members (hell anyone on the forum) to use each-others charging facilities.
Often it's only 10 or 15km of extra range that is required - or just the knowledge that "there's one 4km out of our way so no problem if it gets tight".

The problem as I see it is security.
No-one wants any car turning up and expecting access nor do they want someone they have never met before or know at all to be on their property un-invited.

It's technically easy but socially not so easy.
So is there a way?

Edit: nor
Last edited by Johny on Wed, 30 Oct 2013, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.