Nissan Leaf generation 1 maintenance checkups

Nissan EV Interest Group
Miroslav
Noobie

Nissan Leaf generation 1 maintenance checkups

Post by Miroslav »

Hi all,
Half a year ago we've bought a 2012 Nissan Leaf. I've taken it to a Nissan dealer to inspect it and they've gladly done it for $300+. Since there's nothing much to do around an electric car, I don't intend to take it there for regular maintenance any more.
What are your suggestions on what should be done and when? Are tire, brake fluid and safety checks once a year or every 10000 km enough?
Thanks!
Rusdy
Groupie

Re: Nissan Leaf generation 1 maintenance checkups

Post by Rusdy »

I had my 2012 leaf since 2015 with 13,000ish km on the odo. Today, it's on 120,000km.

So far, the service history:
1. At 25,000 and 40,000km for regular service. Back then, my thinking was to support Nissan dealership for bringing in such a great car.
2. At 90,000km full service while the car has battery replacement.

That's it.

My next planned service at 160,000km to replace the 'gearbox' fluid and brake checks again 😂

Oh, I forgot to mention, yes annual brake checks definitely recommended (NOT at Nissan), although myself hasn't done that at all ;)
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

I had my brakes inspected (I'd had a stone caught in a disc) for about $50 at my neighbourhood mechanic. That's at 25K, he said no need to check them again til you get to 50K.
I've changed the cabin air filter.
There are many, many things to check on the Nissan list, it was made up from ICE age car servicing. If there's nothing they could think of, they put "rotate the tyres".
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
Miroslav
Noobie

Post by Miroslav »

Thank you both. I guess I'll do annual brake/tyre/safety checks then as we intend to do around 10k a year with it, mostly commuting. Currently it's got 113k on the ODO.