Can't charge Leaf

Nissan EV Interest Group
cooperplace
Noobie

Can't charge Leaf

Post by cooperplace »

My 2015 Leaf has a Type 1 plug. Where I work is a type 2 charger, so I bought a type 2 to type 1 adapter:

https://store.jetcharge.com.au/collecti ... ype-1-lead

It works fine if the type 2 outlet is on the body of the charger, but where the charger has a cable with a plug (which is the usual setup), the male/female type plugs engage in each other but don't click together and there is no charging. What can I do to fix this? Has anyone come across this problem? Thanks.
smithy2167
Groupie

Re: Can't charge Leaf

Post by smithy2167 »

Unfortunately, the Type 2 to Type 1 cable you have can't be used as an extension to another Type 2 cable. The housing of the Type 2 vehicle plug and the outlet on the Type 2 charger are subtly different - the shells are different lengths - so the pins won't make contact. This is a deliberate design decision so that someone can't use say a 15A lead extended by a 32A lead then charge at 32A. The 15A cable would overheat and possibly catch fire.

See here: https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=6104
Dave
2019 Jaguar IPace
2019 Renault Zoe
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi there - a lead with a Type 2 socket instead of a plug will work with a Type 2 tethered lead EVSE. You can make one, or just buy it.

EVolution for one sell them. (I'm too lazy to look for another - but am sure there will be others available ;-) )
https://electriccarcharger.com.au/produ ... red-evses/

Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
cooperplace
Noobie

Post by cooperplace »

smithy2167 wrote: Wed, 17 Nov 2021, 20:24 Unfortunately, the Type 2 to Type 1 cable you have can't be used as an extension to another Type 2 cable. The housing of the Type 2 vehicle plug and the outlet on the Type 2 charger are subtly different - the shells are different lengths - so the pins won't make contact. This is a deliberate design decision so that someone can't use say a 15A lead extended by a 32A lead then charge at 32A. The 15A cable would overheat and possibly catch fire.

See here: https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=6104
Thanks, and yes that's clear now. Unfortunately JetCharge aren't aware of this. When I called them up and told them about my problem they were condescending and said must work, and that I hadn't pushed the two together hard enough!
cooperplace
Noobie

Post by cooperplace »

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Peter - that one's the wrong way around - it is for a Type 2 car to use a Type 1 charger. You want one that lets a Type 1 car use a Type 2 charger. Example:

https://gronnemil.no/produkt/cable-sool ... 1-adapter/

Mind you, at 2800 Kroner (Au$434 + GST) you would be better off getting the EVolution one ...

Cheers
Bryce

Translation of the Norwegian site wording:
The one convenient charging cable adapter is for vehicles with a type 1 connector on the car side and charging points with a fixed type 2 plug. You can use this adapter in combination with any suitable charging point with a fixed type 2 cable. The adapter supports charging up to 7.4kW (230V 32A). Please note that the actual charging speed also depends on the maximum supported charging power of the car's built-in charger, charging cable and charging station. Cars with a type 2 connector can use this type 2 for the type 1 adapter. Not sure what contact your car has – Type 1 or Type 2? Check it out on the Electric Car Guide!
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Bryce wrote: Sun, 21 Nov 2021, 05:55 Hi Peter - that one's the wrong way around - it is for a Type 2 car to use a Type 1 charger. You want one that lets a Type 1 car use a Type 2 charger.
Both types are listed
Type 1 to 2 AND type 2 to 1, you have to choose which one you want
Caught me out at first as well
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi Brendon - see it now - however I'm still not convinced - the listing says 'fits female plug or socket'. However the plug on a Type 2 tethered lead EVSE and the Type 2 socket on a BYO lead EVSE are different - suspecting Peter might end up back where he started?

Cheers
Bryce
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Yeah that's the gamble you run with AliExpress. My guess would be it's the right to go on the end of a type 2 lead to go into a type 1 car. But who knows until you buy and try one.

One reassuring thing is a solid adaptor that goes from a type 2 socket to a type 1 car would mean there's no flexible link between the station and car and as funny as it would be to see a car plugged into a charging post like that I don't see why there would be such a product available