Seeking donor assessment assistance

For Queensland Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Shirker
Groupie

Post by Shirker »

Anybody close to Southport who could spare some time to asses a potential donor for me, please? Shoot me a PM if you're available...

Cheers,
Matt.
edit: make nice clickable link, why doesn't it do that automagically?
Last edited by Shirker on Mon, 08 Sep 2014, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock »

Nice car; perhaps too nice for a first project.Equivalent Mitsu or Toyota would be as good. Auto is only an advantage if desired for physical reasons. eg stop start traffic. A late model Corolla would be good.

gmacd33
Groupie

Post by gmacd33 »

If you go with an auto car, keep the torque converter etc, get a motor controller with an idle function, and use it to keep the original power steering pump and air conditioning compressor on the motor shaft - you'll reduce range a little, but make for a simpler and cheaper conversion!

Most of us use manual cars for conversions though - avoid hassle with controlling the auto transmission.

I'm happy to assess/advise on donor cars etc, but I do charge engineering rates.
Greg MacDonald
Chief Technical Officer
Lithium Battery Systems

Shirker
Groupie

Post by Shirker »

Good suggestions - except I've got an eGearDrive, so I'm looking explicitly for an automatic...

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Shirker wrote: Good suggestions - except I've got an eGearDrive, so I'm looking explicitly for an automatic...
Perhaps I am having a more blonde day than usual, but I looked at the pictures and still cant quite work out what it is... Obviously it is for front wheel drive vehicles.. I see a diff, and a park brake, but cant quite work out if the intermediate gear is there to provide a second gear option, or just there to space the motor further away from the diff.

If you don't mind me asking how much does something like this go for? and is the diff open or a limo?

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Ok found some better pictures and info...<a href="http://store.evtv.me/products.php?cat=18" rel="nofollow">Link</a>
It's pretty similar to an idea I have been kicking around for several years.
Shirker wrote: Good suggestions - except I've got an eGearDrive, so I'm looking explicitly for an automatic...
Ok so where does the automatic come into play then? both manual and auto would be fine if you are using an eGearDrive...

Taking out the clutch pedal is a two second job, and converting a manual would be far less complicated with the wiring.
Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 10 Sep 2014, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

Post by Richo »

EV2Go wrote:   I see a diff, and a park brake, but cant quite work out if the intermediate gear is there to provide a second gear option, or just there to space the motor further away from the diff.

Yeah it's just for spacing.

Definitely better than the old AT1200 reduction drive that was kicking around a few years ago.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Not sure why they are calling it a transmission, when really it is just a transfer case. Coin is a bit stiff for what it is.