Wanted CALB 100AH batteries

IF YOU ARE NOT A FINANCIAL MEMBER OR YOU HAVE LESS THAN 30 POSTS AND YOU POST ANYTHING FOR SALE, IT WILL BE DELETED.
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Paul9
Groupie

Wanted CALB 100AH batteries

Post by Paul9 »

Hi people,

I have 40 CALB 100ah cells in my Suzuki Swift at present. I think I am having trouble with one cell. I would like to buy two more cells to replace the possibly defective cell and to keep one cell as a spare.

The only supplier I am aware of in Australia has these cells on back order. Last October I ordered two pot boxes from this supplier which were on back order and I am still waiting for them to be delivered. After a month of waiting I ordered them straight from the US supplier and they were delivered within 8 days. Hence I am extremely reluctant to order more items on back order.

Does anyone know of either an Australian or overseas supplier who would supply me with two of these cells? The Chinese manufacturer has an MOQ of 20 cells which is obviously more than I need!

I note some US suppliers do not stock CALB 100ah but do stock Winston 100ah cells which appear to have the same specs as the CALBs. Are these an acceptable substitute for the CALBs?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul
jonescg

Re: Wanted CALB 100AH batteries

Post by jonescg »

I would think the Winston cells are electrically identical, but the physical dimensions might vary slightly.
Otherwise you can buy them direct out of China at a pinch. Not a cheap way to do it for a single cell though.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Thanks Chris,

I just checked and the Winston 100ah and the CALB 100ah cells are almost identical physically. No more than 1 mm difference on any dimension.

I may have to try China or the USA.

Thanks
Paul
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Tried Tim at EV Works? Rod at EV-Power? Graeme at Oz-DIY?
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Thanks Chris
Everyone in Aus seems to have them on back order.

Tried a firm in Hong Kong called EVLithium. They have a min order quantity of 20 cells but I talked them down to 5 cells. $100 US per cell plus $200 US for air freight. Total cost $700 US.

I assume you haven't heard of them?

Thanks
Paul
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I see hundreds of sellers on Alibaba, and EVLithium were on there too. So long as they have a few and can ship for the lowest price practical you might as well go for it.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

why not just bypass the dud cell? it's only 2.5% less range and power

better to keep bypassing duds, then eventually replace the whole pack in one go
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Thanks Matthew

I thought of that but my battery charger ramps down the amps at about 145.4v pack {40 cells) voltage ie. 3.635v per cell. Bypassing the dud cell would mean 145.4v for 39 cells or 3.728v per cell. I like to keep well within the voltage limits per cell and anything above 3.7v per cell worries me (even though I may be worrying unduly!)

Thanks
Paul
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Hi people,

I thought I would update you.

EV Works and EV Power still have the 100ah cells on backorder. Suzi Auto does not stock 100ah cells.

I placed an order for 5 CALB 100ah cells with EV-Lithium. The cost was $700 US which converted to $1,054 Aud after bank charges were added. EV Lithium promised me a 14 day delivery time and the cells arrived in Sydney after 13 days. Certainly no complaints there!

However they sat in customs for nearly 2 weeks and another week with the local delivery people. As the order was over $1,000 I had to pay 5% customs duty and 10% GST and then another $85 to the local delivery people. Total cost therefore was just short of $1,300 AU for the five cells.

That works out at around $250 per cell. Not cheap but at least I have the cells. As EV Lithium's MOQ was 20 cells I have learned that MOQs are not set in concrete.

FYI.

Cheers
Paul
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yeah I always count on the cost of importing stuff to be 1.14 x above the final quoted price. Sorry you bought the most expensive 100 Ah cells on Earth, but glad it's sorted.