AMP20 Lithium Ion Prismatic Cell

IF YOU ARE NOT A FINANCIAL MEMBER OR YOU HAVE LESS THAN 30 POSTS AND YOU POST ANYTHING FOR SALE, IT WILL BE DELETED.
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Catavolt
Groupie

Post by Catavolt » Tue, 08 May 2012, 01:29

Hi Guys

I am about to order a bulk shipment of A123 20Ah 3.2V AMP20 Lithium Ion Prismatic Cells.
If any one would like any of these cells I can do them for $32ea plus GST for 1-30 cells or $30ea for 30-100 cells, Any larger qty just email me.

High capacity 3.3V Li ion battery cell   
A123 lifepo4 20Ah prismatic cell
Cell Dimensions (mm) 7.25 x 160 x 227
Cell Weight (g) 496
Cell Capacity (minimum, Ah) 19.6A
A123 lifepo4 20Ah prismatic cell
Cell Dimensions (mm) 7.25 x 160 x 227
Cell Weight (g) 496Cell
Capacity (minimum, Ah) 19.6
Energy Content (nominal, Wh) 65
Discharge Power (nominal, W) 1200
Voltage (nominal, V) 3.3
Specific Power (nominal, W/kg) 2400
Specific Energy (nominal, Wh/kg) 131
Energy Density (nominal, Wh/L) 247
Operating Temperature -30°C to 55°C

If you are interested just email jon@catavolt.com.au A123_20AH_AMP20_Specsheet.pdf
Last edited by Catavolt on Mon, 07 May 2012, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing » Tue, 08 May 2012, 03:08

How long do we have to make up our minds? I may be interested in buying 10 or so cells

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 08 May 2012, 03:19

Good idea Jon. You won't be disappointed with these cells. Are you going through Mavizen or one of the many far more affordable channels?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Catavolt
Groupie

Post by Catavolt » Tue, 08 May 2012, 03:51

I would like to have at least the numbers by this weekend.

No Chris Mavizen want nealy twice that price , I can get them through one of the back doors. I appears that A123 USA has over produced.

These cells are covered by warranty 1 year if used with a BMS.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 08 May 2012, 20:23

Nice. Yeah, I don't think Mavizen have sold a single cell. Fools.

Oh man I wish I had the money. I'd buy 150 of them if I could. Then I'd stick them in a car conversion or maybe use them as a commuter battery pack for Voltron II.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz » Tue, 08 May 2012, 20:54

I wish I hadn't just bought a stack of batteries.

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Tue, 08 May 2012, 21:50

I've watched the apparent over supply of these for a year or so now. The 130Wh/kg & the 5C current capability are very desirable. Does anybody have any ideas on packaging so the tabs don't fatigue? Also they don't seem to be suitable for the standard cell top style of BMS?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 09 May 2012, 00:23

There are lots of ways of terminating them, almost all of them are mechanical. I use them on Voltron's packs. They are clamped between a threaded brass block and a copper bus bar with stainless steel screws. There are three screws per tab. Soldering is impossible unless you resistance weld a piece of copper to the aluminium tab and solder the copper. Some folks over at Endless Sphere have developed a PCB with mounting blocks - they all seem to work pretty well.

They are good for something like 30C! 5C doesn't even wake these things up from their slumber. I have a 60 Ah pack which I have pulled over 800 amps from (toasting a motor) so they are no slouch.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz » Thu, 10 May 2012, 22:40

Are both tabs aluminium? I read on endless sphere that one is ali and one is nickel plated copper.
I'm not a fan of the clamp idea to join cells, it is too bulky for my plans. If I buy some I plan to laser weld the tabs so need to know what each is made from.
Last edited by Faz on Thu, 10 May 2012, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Fri, 11 May 2012, 18:16

I got a head ache trolling through those forums on packaging/connecting, a forum is not really a very efficient way to present technical detail, buried as it is in amongst all the other verbage.
Agnisiums idea with the PCBs seems quite neat, better than that plonker on the video who potted them in resin.
I'm not a fan of anything that makes it hard to swap out cells. The assembled 7s3p & 22s3p A123 packs those canadians were trying seem to use a bimetal weld technique to connect tabs but I couldn't really tell for sure.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sun, 13 May 2012, 05:13

Roland, one tab is Nickel plated copper, the other is aluminium. The big automakers laser weld them in a fairly elaborate manner so Good luck with it if you do go down that route.

I tend to think that any method which allows the removal of a dud cell and replacing it is a good one. Brass threaded block and a copper plate screwed together with three M4 screws is a good way to go. I wouldn't go putting a long bolt through multiple tabs with brass/copper spacers as some have, as this risks breaking the series connections. I also think Jack Rickard's resin method is space-inefficient, lazy and akin to using electricity to run a steam engine.

But aluminium won't solder unless you use really high temperatures and this will invariably ruin the cell. Alternatively you can use copper spot-welded to the aluminium tab, and then solder the cells together. Paul (cell_man) from Emissions-Free.com has been using this method with success.

I have been building LiPo packs using this method, but they come from the factory with a copper tab spot welded to the aluminium, so that's really handy. It makes for a really space and weight efficient pack.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz » Mon, 14 May 2012, 18:24

Replace-ability of dud cells is a good point and not one I had considered.

I've got a fair amount of experience laser welding which is one of the reasons I'm leaning to that method.
FYI Chris, Physics has a laser welder. It welds just about anything (I've welded Titanium to brass amongst other metals) but aluminium is problematic due to high reflectivity and thermal conduction.
I would spot weld but the spot welder I have access to is for very fine wire and doesn't have enough grunt.
Last edited by Faz on Mon, 14 May 2012, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

PlanB

Post by PlanB » Mon, 14 May 2012, 22:14

Chris I've seen these surplus A123 20Ah baggies for $22 a pop in qty from lots of different Chinese suppliers but never with the copper plate tacked to the Aluminium tab. Solder cells together would save all that threaded hardware. Are you able to tell us your source & their pricing?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 15 May 2012, 01:29

Rolland that's awesome about Physics. Man, they get to play with the best toys :(

If you contact Paul Lynch aka Cell_Man he can sort you out. His website is www.emissions-free.com and you can get his email address from there. Last I heard he was was getting them in pretty cheap, but not in the $22 each range (although that was some time ago). Never know your luck Image