Suitable Motorbike for Conversion

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
peterkneale
Noobie

Post by peterkneale » Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 04:19

What do you guys think of this as a host for a new electric engine?
Its relatively cheap i think (provided it stays sub-$1000) and i can collect it this weekend via ute.

1999 Kawasaki ZZR 250ZZR 250 with damaged engine

Does anyone know what sort of frame this bike would have - tried googling to no avail.
I'm hoping for a box frame like this so as to make mounting the batteries / motor easier and wont have to build anything too structural into the bike (more just like shelves for the batteries and a mount for the motor)
http://rides800.tripod.com/sitebuilderc ... frame1.jpg

The components im hoping to fit in this frame are
Controller: Kelly Controller KBL48301
Motor: Mars 3001 Brushless
Batteries: 4x12v 18AH SLAs (just for testing etc) LIFEPO4's at a later date when im comfortable the bike is viable.
Charger: 48V 15A onboard.
Thanks guys

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 08:57

thats odd.
i could have sworn there was a huge conversation on this thread.

neways,
if you would like some SLAs to get you going, i have 9x 12v 20AH floating around.
saves you from buying new.
if ur in Perth, i can lend them to you.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 10:02

Matt the Bike is in Victoria.
Looks like a good donor.
What a dunce running it dry.
And now he want's to get a bigger bike OMG.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

peterkneale
Noobie

Post by peterkneale » Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 20:15

Thanks for the offer of the SLA's but im in Sydney :)

the bike is creeping towards $1000 :(

gttool
Groupie

Post by gttool » Wed, 21 Jan 2009, 19:47

the motor is designed to be a structural member on the bike
did have one some years ago and would most probably convert it if i still had it
If you could find an rg250 they would have to be one of the simplest to convert , the frame is based on two horizontal tubes which make fitting batteries and the like very easy
if you need some advice give me a ring
Geoff 0410492581

peterkneale
Noobie

Post by peterkneale » Wed, 21 Jan 2009, 19:52

Yeah - Unfortunately the auction is up to $1600 now and still has half an hour to run. Shame. I am definately looking for a bike where the engine isnt a 'stressed member' but this bike was in such great condition. Is there a phrase that you are aware of that describes the other style of frame where the engine rides within the frame?

I think the engineers Cert would be a lot more demanding should i be doing any sort of structural work too.

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle » Thu, 22 Jan 2009, 00:12

I usually refer to the other style as a cradle frame (where the engine sits in a tube cradle rather than being attached at the top / front and rear / bottom.

Most cradle frames still do use the engine as a semi stressed member, but it'd certainly be easier to get it engineered. (not that there was any trouble getting mine approved)
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Thu, 22 Jan 2009, 02:13

Looking at some of the bikes on the EV album I wonder if it would be easier to build your own. Obvious start with the forks / head and trailing arm off a written off bike and just make up the craddle area your self.

I reckon you could get much better battery placement / quantity of batteries in there and make a custome fibre glass cover...

gttool
Groupie

Post by gttool » Thu, 22 Jan 2009, 04:18

looked at that all ready most damaged bikes need new forks $$, to build a frame and then try and buy all the other parts cost a fortune unless you can find one with a damaged motor at the right price which doesnt seem to be that easy as i have been looking since before christmas

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu, 22 Jan 2009, 08:25

Secondhand 250cc bikes in general are overpriced (at least in WA). Dont know about the states with LAMS though.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Fri, 23 Jan 2009, 02:13

It just dawned on me I used to own the perfect bike for a conversion... It was a Honda VF 750c. I bought it off a guy who imported it into Australia (we didn’t get them here). I was a cruiser style bike with king / queen seat.

The frame was damaged where someone in the states had dropped the bike which flattened under the front tube near the radiator and this pushed the V4 engine out of whack and broke the engine mount on the head.

I unfortunately didn’t spot it until sometime after I had bought it. The engine was fairly ordinary and I only got something like $750 for it when I sold it, it would have made a great basis for a conversion, pity I sold it long before I knew about EV’s.

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle » Fri, 23 Jan 2009, 17:02

hehe, I nearly bought a VF750, but someone got it just before I did.
I had a look at it though and it looked like a pretty good frame for the job. This one was shaft drive too which would have been really nice (would need a low rpm motor to work directly, or a toothed belt primary drive setup)
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Fri, 23 Jan 2009, 18:14

Yeah mine was shaft drive too. I thought the aussie VF was chain drive.

fail
Noobie

Post by fail » Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 05:38

Mate don't bother trying to get a 250cc in Sydney as a "cheap" bike, thanks to LAMS their prices are stupidly inflated, even when in crap condition.

There's heaps of bikes out there with a full-frame structure (not using the engine as a stressed member).. but most of them are pre-1990s.. after that they started experimenting with cast alloy frames, etc. Look pre-1995 or so and they're nearly all tube frame.

Older Suzuki's nearly all used 2 parallel tubes for the front and bottom of frame, perfect for mounting batteries etc..

GS500s, older GSXR1100s, GS1000, etc..

Also the Honda CB series..

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 05:48

Welcome Fail Image

Love the blog
Although I don't ride a bike yet I feel your pain of daily traffic.
I blame the weeties box for allowing some motorist on the road.
Or maybe the driving inspector lets em all pass and then lets the cops sort it out from there who should be on the road Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

fail
Noobie

Post by fail » Thu, 19 Nov 2009, 05:57

Hehe.. thanks Richo.. I definitely wonder if driving inspectors actually inspect anything apart from their payslips.. :P

I just realised half my pictures above didn't work, but the idea is there. I'm new to the EV thing, but not new to bikes, so happy to help anyone here who needs info on certain models or general info :)

Hopefully next year i'll start building my electric bike idea i've been stewing over in my head for the last few years.