Norm / Newbie here / My bike

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
norm
Noobie

Post by norm » Thu, 21 Aug 2008, 22:21

This is the second bike I've built the first used an electric wheel chair motor, this bike is using a 350 Watt hub motor (brand unknown) and 4 X 12 Volt 7 Ah batteries (Nimh on the way). Very happy with the results, I only weigh 61 Kg so the performance is fairly respectable. I am going to make a vinyl cover for the batteries to tidy things up a bit.
Norm

I posted and then thought the forum was only for electric motor bikes, looks like I was wrong
Last edited by norm on Thu, 21 Aug 2008, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew » Thu, 21 Aug 2008, 22:28

Hi Norm, it's good to hear that you only operate your hub motor at 200watts to comply with DPI regs Image

I like your bike setup though! All-Wheel-Drive bike hey! How much do the batteries weigh and does it make the bike top-heavy? I would have put them on the frame where the drink holder is, personally. Also what range and speed do you get?

norm
Noobie

Post by norm » Fri, 22 Aug 2008, 02:14

Hi Andrew yes the bike is top heavy, I took the simple option when it came to mounting batteries, the Nimh batteries should help with that, I would love to get the weight below the axle but that is going to take a bit more thinking.
Hi Norm, it's good to hear that you only operate your hub motor at 200watts to comply with DPI regs

Wouldn't have it any other way Andrew.

Speed unknown at the moment (I estimate around 30) to fast for me to peddle in the highest gear, I'll get out with the GPS if it ever stops raining around here, some peddle assistance is required on the steeper hills.
Last edited by norm on Thu, 21 Aug 2008, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

norm
Noobie

Post by norm » Tue, 02 Sep 2008, 21:58

I did some tests today, temporally mounted the GPS to the handle bars top speed no peddling 37KPH (I weigh 62Kg). I measured 15A @ 48V but I think the real current is lower, pretty sure all I'm measuring is the peaks of the PWM so I have no idea what the real draw is. Still waiting for my NIMH batteries to turn up from the States, I can't wait to reduce the weight of the bike, I have decided to build a battery box that will mount down at the back axle on the left hand side of the bike, it should be much better balanced not having all that weight on the back rack.
Norm

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 02 Sep 2008, 23:17

Well done Norm,

BTW, does anyone know anything about the Avanti Electra bike? I've been interested for a while and I just noticed that an old friend of mine was involved in the design. Mind you, it's a bit hard to find anything about them on the Avanti site ATM so maybe they're not doing them anymore. I've seen some posts saying it's a bit gutless, anyone know? Like Norm, I'm fairly light so maybe 200W would be OK.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019
Total Petrol: 646.6L
ODO: 47979
Av Consumption: 1.35 L/100km

norm
Noobie

Post by norm » Tue, 02 Sep 2008, 23:40

Hi Rob I think you would be far happier with at least 350 Watts , its a bit up and down here and I have no trouble with any of the hills I do peddle (not too enthusiasticly) and have no complaints about the performance. I think you'll find 200W is pretty much just peddle assist. Most of the time I don't peddle at all, I have some health problems and I built the bike to travel back and forward from the local hospital which I do three times a week. Saves getting the car out of the garage. I also use it to run down town, both are about an 8K round trip.
Norm

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 02 Sep 2008, 23:51

I cycle to the local shops (about a km away) so I'd not use electric assist for that, but currently, I use the ICE to commute to the station each morning and I'd probably be interested in it for that. That trip only has one "hill" - an overpass actually, not too steep.
Sorry to hear you have health problems, I've been pretty lucky that way so far (touch wood) so I'd be keen for something that helps "a bit" so I don't get too lazy and unfit!

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019

juk
Groupie

Post by juk » Wed, 03 Sep 2008, 17:53

A bit gutless is an understatement.

Poor control is another flaw, you have to toggle from full power through half power through regen. It really needs a throttle. It also cuts out over 35kph, which makes it near useless for me. And you have to be an olympic weight lifter in order to lift the bike. So if you have to put it on car racks, roof racks or in a car, forget about the Avanti.

The range isn't special either and the regen is a gimmick.

If you know the bloke who designed it though, could you please ask him how i can hot mine up!! thanks.

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Wed, 03 Sep 2008, 21:31

Hi Juk,
It sounds like you own one of these, or have done so. I'm interested to hear about the weight issue, I'd not thought about that. Interestingly, I've hunted around a bit and not been able to find any page that documents the weight of the Avanti Electra. Have you weighed yours? Where do you think the extra weight is, in the hub, the battery, or the bike overall?

In googling about the bike, I came across a guy who was also looking at hotting one up, he documented his surgery on the hub motor here. His conclusion seems to be that there isn't much you can do, though it's unclear whether he's finished trying or not.
Last edited by rhills on Wed, 03 Sep 2008, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
Jul 2014 - Mar 2019

juk
Groupie

Post by juk » Wed, 03 Sep 2008, 22:08

I have the kit to convert your own bike.
I've got a cannondale lightweight mountain bike, and it's featherweight. Then i put the kit on. The front hub weights probably about 10kg, and the battery about 2kg. Looking at the pictures he's got i'm dragging around about 8kg of copper. But not only is it heavy, it's unbalanced with all that weight on the front wheel. Unsprung weight too!!

I am disappointed with it. Movement Systems have some cool bikes, but i don't think they have a web presence.

norm
Noobie

Post by norm » Sat, 03 Jan 2009, 04:02

The latest on my bike project, batteries now enclosed in a sheet metal box a friend made for me. Handles much better, lower center of gravity and the weight is more balanced between the wheels.
Norm

woody

Post by woody » Sat, 03 Jan 2009, 06:29

Looks niiiiice.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack