Picked up '90 capri roller for $0.00

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
gregted
Groupie

Post by gregted » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 03:58

Just heard this morning about a 1990 Ford Capri with a dinged front end and went to pick it up for $100.00.

When I got there, the bloke was working on a Diahatsu scat.

I just happened to have a Scat sitting in the back yard so we did a swap.

So now I have a red 1990 Ford Capri convertible roller for $0.00. Gotta love that.

The Capri has been dinged in the front end but the chassis seems straight and electric windows and mirrors work. Motor condition unknown but it's coming out anyway so who cares.

I have seen someone with a more modern front and rear for these so that will be my direction.

I would love any information from anyone who has done an ev conversion on this type of car. Specifically the engine adaptor plate and how to run the air-con and power steering pump. I assume these can be run from another smaller electric motor.

Unfortunately my electric motor has a one ended shaft but I imagine the power steering pump must be running all the time anyway so I will need another motor for that.

Anyway tomorrow it begins.
The future isn't what it used to be.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 04:12

This thread is useless without pictures Image
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

gregted
Groupie

Post by gregted » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 04:20

My bad...

It's dark out now so will post pics tomorrow.

I don't have any pics of a conversion yet as I only picked up the vehicle today but still looking for any constructive comments and advice before I begin.

woody

Post by woody » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 16:13

Kearon has a bunch of videos he did on his conversion, should cover a lot of things.

I would go for a water heater or make the air-con work rather than rip the dashboard apart to put an electric heater in.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 16:57

There is a Ford Capri conversion in Brisbane.

As for the heater, a ceramic heater core is a simple well proven method. Even if the dashboard has to be removed, it is only once then can be forgotten. Weber found an alternative way to remove and refit the heater radiator in the MX5 without removing the dashboard. I think he cut off one of the pipes going to the radiator.

There are cars such as the Holden Astra that have an electric power steering pumps that can be gotten from wreckers. EVWorks also sell electric power steering pumps that have been used in some Brisbane conversions.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 14 Aug 2012, 20:33

jonescg wrote: This thread is useless without pictures Image

The thread would also normally be called "GregTed's Ford Capri".
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

gregted
Groupie

Post by gregted » Wed, 15 Aug 2012, 00:47

Thanks for all the advice.

I have seen all Kearons videos. That is where I got the idea of an ev Capri conversion. All handy stuff.

The holden astra electric power steering pump is a great idea. I'll check the wreckers soon. I guess it wil be trial and error on how much power it uses but if it is 12 volt, it would run from the axiliary battery anyway and shouldn't effect my range.

I only plan on 40ks round trip to work and back before a recharge so that should be ok.

I have seen the idea of a ceramic heater for the demister. Another great idea.

The exhaust is out and will replace my sons rusted exhaust in his Capri so it has begun.