My Electric Bicycle Chopper Project

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Mon, 11 Jun 2012, 00:36

Hey all,

I thought I might share a project of mine. I hope this is posted in the right area. I've always wanted to have a motorbike but since i'm not too confident on the road I thought I would explore the options of converting a bicycle, moreso in particular a Chopper Style one.

I ended up buying a Flight Dragster bike a few days ago and i've started working on some 3d models and some calculations on how to mount the batteries, speed controller and other electronics.

I have gone for a front hub kit since I am unable to find one to suit the very fat 4" wide tyre at the back.

I am still debating between battery choices but so far I may end up using 2 sets of 5x 7.2v 6000mah RC Car Batteries which will give me 36v and 12ah or the possibility of a 48v kit which would increase my running time and get better power.

I've found some of these particular batteries on eBay for surpisingly cheap but nothing is cheap for a reason so I am still researching them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-pcs-7-2V-6 ... 27bf177f80

The idea would be to build a charging system that would be able to charge each battery pack seperately which would keep the packs in good nick as well as allowing me to fully charge the whole pack in about 1 hour or so. I am still working out a plug system in way that each battery when charging would be isolated from the rest without having to disconnect the series bridges (maybe I could use a number of switches to isolate the series).

Here are some 3d drafts that i've done for the bike

The bike will have a H3 Fog Light on the front for those days/nights I might need a bit more light. It will be powered from an auxiliary 12v battery which will still need to be designed. The bulb will be replaced using a h3 LED light which has 1/6th of the power usage.

Here are a few of the bike.

I used 3D so I can plan everything out easier than I can draw.

My skills aren't the best in 3d but they are functional hehe

Here is a 3d render of how the batteries may be positioned in a saddle pack

Any comments would be more than welcome :)

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Mon, 11 Jun 2012, 00:52

I went for a spin today without the hub motor (that is on its way in the mail).

Did about 26km on it and i'm exhausted now haha. Sucks not having gears to change around. There were so many times I wish I had the motor to assist up th tricky hills.

Didn't help that it started raining during my ride and the track ended up being very mucky.

In all attempts to look the part I got some glasses for riding lol

I am also working on the possibility of a bicycle trailer to store a spare set of batteries and some goodies if I end up going for the day (lunch and drinks lol)
Last edited by chopper_elec on Sun, 10 Jun 2012, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 18:07

Not too much has changed so far. I've got my hub motor on its way as well as a torque arm kit which will help to stop the axle from spinning within the dropouts of the front forks.

I got my 4x 12v 12ah batteries and they are a tad bit heavier than I first anticipated doh haha.

The next part from here will be to start running all the required wiring looms to the battery and charger port.

The charger should be here within the next week or so, as well as a few other goodies as per below:

Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Stereo Headphones/Headset

KOSS KSC75 CLIPON HEADPHONES

Brand NEW 12V 12AH Sealed Lead-Acid Battery AGM

Spoke Bike Bicycle Wheel Spanner Wrench Adjuster Tool

48V Battery Charger

Old style Motorcycle bicycle Goggles Chopper Scooter Sunglass

New Mountain Bike Riding Bicycle Winter Damping Antiskid Full Finger Glove M

2 Pcs Alumnium Alloy Nonslip Pedals Silver Tone for Mountain Bike

New LCD Bicycle Bike Computer Odometer Speedometer

White Super Bright H3 7.5W Car Auto LED Day Driving Fog Light Bulb Lamp DC13.6V

Bicycle Motor Mount Holder For HTC G13 Wildfire S A510e

48V 500W Front 24" Hub Motor, Battery Bag, Twist and Thumb throttle, 48v motor controller

Nevilleh

Post by Nevilleh » Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 18:18

Looks like a nice little project. I was amazed to see that you are using Lead-acid batteries! Doomed from the start, sell them off and get some Lithium ones.

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 18:33

Nevilleh wrote: Looks like a nice little project. I was amazed to see that you are using Lead-acid batteries! Doomed from the start, sell them off and get some Lithium ones.

Haha yeah your not wrong there. I only had a limited fund in this portion and wanted to get the project on a good start.

The lifepo4 battery I was after was about $500 with charger and BMS, and I managed to get my 4x 12v sla batteries for only $120 so it was a big difference between the 2. They won't be there for long, and once they come off the bike they will be used for some other projects around the house so it won't be too bad.

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012, 00:19

I saw an EV chopper style bike in a magazine where the guy drilled the hub for more spokes to give it the old school low rider look :)

lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss » Thu, 21 Jun 2012, 01:42

That's a real e-chopper!
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com

woody

Post by woody » Sat, 23 Jun 2012, 19:38

There's an instructable (howto website) for drilling 36 hole rims and hubs to make 71 hole (the valve gets in the way) you could probably do a 32 spoke => 96 spoke if you were keen.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Wed, 27 Jun 2012, 03:09

Wow that would be pretty awesome. I have quite a few new updates on the project

I went on a good feeling and ended up picking up this lifepo4 48v 16ah pack

The guy that was selling it was really nice and honest and I was happy to give them a go.

Finally I have some decent Photos of my bike :)

Here is the beast in all her glory.

My most epic 48v 500w Motor Controller. They were kind enough to write 48v just in case I forgot what my order was haha.

My workbench (finally I cleared it enough to put all my goodies on it.

I got around to installing my super cheap eBay Bicycle Computer, visible on the right is my very epic eBay special Wildfire G13 phone holder (I mean't to get one for a G8 but luckily it fits relatively well enough)Image

This was a very proud day indeed, finally getting the original cheapie handlebar grips off and putting my electronic throttle in place. I'm still not sure if I like the positioning (as my arm is sort of twisted sideways in the first place).

I may end up using my thumb throttle in the long run. Is it strange to have to release your hand off the throttle to press the brake or could I have set it up badly?

Here is my el Cheapo eBay Speedo Sensor in place. It seems to do a decent enough job for now till I can afford a Cycle Analyst.

Here I am positioning the Narva Compac 100 fog light that will be used for longer rides, if I end up getting caught in the dark its nice to know I have some decent lighting to back me up.

Here is the same hand and fog light but this time I positioned it a bit higher up.

The cables and bracket definitely need some work, I bought them second hand a few years ago.

My Torque Arm Kit (I bought 2 just in case i'd need them). I'm still working out the best way to mount this.

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Mon, 02 Jul 2012, 13:59

I made a bit of progress today and mounted up the Hub Motor to the wheel.

As recommended by members on here I was sure to take a photo of the hall sensor wires so once they are depinned I would know where to put them again.

Here is my mounting of the hub motor with washers. In Order from the Hub itself all the way to the end of the nut I used:

Washer – Washer – Tab Washer – Drop Out – Washer – Washer Torque Arm – Washer – Nut

I am wondering if I used too many washers haha They were required to space out the hub correctly. The dropout has barely any compression as the washers shimmed the inside much better than the factory washers included in the pack (too wide).

Here was my idea for the dropout reinforcement (one on each side)

The washers were used after the drop outs to space out the second piece of the torque plate in my hand. I was thinking of using that hole in the drop out for mounting the piece of torque arm. I would use big washers but with a small inlet diameter. Would you see any issues relating to this?

Here is another example of the idea I was thinking of:

I taped up the hub so it wouldn’t get scratched while mounting it in the dropouts. Slowly coming together.

Goodbye protection tape

The next thing as to find a good place to mount the controller. I was able to squeeze it in nicely behind the seat. I will be using P Clamps to mount it to the seat shaft. As a result the wiring should be really neat.
The top plate of the controller looks rusty but its actually the reflection of the wall opposite (covered with wood lol)Image

Here is another photo (with cloth to protect it from getting scratched up.

Here it is in all its glory. Delicious. Can’t wait to fire it up.

As a joke I bought one of those police alarms haha. I jokingly mounted it to the front (visible at top of handlbars) and its extremely loud and I can’t stop laughing. It won’t stay don’t worry, great for a laugh though.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Mon, 02 Jul 2012, 15:25

Great photos and a good-looking project   Image

Neat wiring???   What's that?    Image

chopper_elec
Noobie

Post by chopper_elec » Mon, 02 Jul 2012, 15:36

bladecar wrote: Great photos and a good-looking project   Image

Neat wiring???   What's that?    Image

Thanks for the comments :) I am not the best with the good old DSLR camera but the photos seem to come up usable for demonstration purposes haha

Hahaha yeah Neat wiring can be a bit unnessary sometimes.

Here is my rendition in 3D of how I was going to use the P clamps to mount the controller to the bike

Last edited by chopper_elec on Mon, 02 Jul 2012, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisRider
Noobie

Post by ChrisRider » Tue, 11 Dec 2012, 18:09

The problem converting this type of bicycle is the perfomace wont be there. Especially if your battery runs out, it will be a very heavy and inefficient bicycle to pedal, you might not be able to get up a hill!

In saying that......looks cool though haha

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012, 19:54

Have you checked out the Kelly mini controllers?
They tiny compared to that :)
And chris dude...
People who build choppers don't really give a crap about hard to pedal it's about comfort and cool :)
You replied to my thread about a full size road cruiser the same without properly reading it :)
Yes you were right my 200kg cruiser would be hard to pedal but this one here not so much :)
My friend has one of these style bicycles and she can push it fine so I think so will mr chopper-elec :)