Kearon's EV Capri

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
norm
Noobie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by norm » Fri, 22 Aug 2008, 02:45

Great vids Kearon.
Norm

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Sat, 30 Aug 2008, 14:42

HI Peter,

Thanks mate - glad you're digging the videos - and yeah, I ended up scrubbing the whole driveway to get rid of all the ICE muck!
Volvo station wagon? Mate, they're pretty heavy, aren't they? Hmm... are you really gonna be happy driving it for the next 7 years or so?
Solar panels - yeah....that'd get some attention!
And yes, the Capri did have power steering...I could put in a power steering pump to resurrect it, but as there's really not much weight in the front end anymore, I don't think I'll bother (it's on the 'maybe later, if I need it' list...)

Cheers,

Kearon
Kearon de Clouet: www.evcapri.com
current conversion: 1990 Ford Capri : 45 x TS90Ah : Impulse 9

Rattrap
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Rattrap » Tue, 23 Sep 2008, 23:57

Hey Kearon, I watched your latest video a couple of days ago, the epp where u took your first EV testdrive - in a Daewoo. I noticed that while u were driving u were changing the gears alot, like in an ICE engine. Was this force of habbit or did u feel that u needed to?

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Wed, 24 Sep 2008, 01:30

Rattrap wrote: Hey Kearon, I watched your latest video a couple of days ago, the epp where u took your first EV testdrive - in a Daewoo. I noticed that while u were driving u were changing the gears alot, like in an ICE engine. Was this force of habit or did u feel that u needed to?

I was gunning it along a country road with lots of curves and such - so to me (at least, the way I drive when driving fast on a windy road) I was just changing when I felt they needed changing. Sure, some of the earlier changes were 'just to see', but really, if you took a mates car for a thrash, you'd probably changes gears a bit too! Keep in mind - it's not a V8...you need to change gears to get it to perform the top of it's power curve. (Well, maybe I did exaggerate gear ganges a bit for the video...but that's what it was all about!)

Mark T
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Mark T » Wed, 24 Sep 2008, 03:27

Hey Kearon
I spent last weekend up in Armidale helping Christie show her Capri at the Eco Expo. It got lots of interest, with a couple of hundred people speaking with us and around 30 people ready to form an interest group.

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Wed, 24 Sep 2008, 13:50

Mark T wrote: Hey Kearon
I spent last weekend up in Armidale helping Christie show her Capri at the Eco Expo. It got lots of interest, with a couple of hundred people speaking with us and around 30 people ready to form an interest group.

Very cool! I guess I'll be getting a few more emails via the EVCapri website then, eh? Never met her in person, but Christie seems like a nice lady. She's been very helpful with forwarding info to me about her car...

avolt
Noobie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by avolt » Fri, 26 Sep 2008, 01:12

Hi Kearon
i just wanted to ask,on your test drive the other day,did you try out the heater at all?just to see if it worked ok?
i just installed my heater yesterday,it's a electric element from a heater from bunnings.have not tested it with 144v yet because i don't
have my battery's yet.
cheers
Andrew

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Fri, 26 Sep 2008, 14:11

avolt wrote: Hi Kearon
i just wanted to ask,on your test drive the other day,did you try out the heater at all?just to see if it worked ok?
i just installed my heater yesterday,it's a electric element from a heater from bunnings.have not tested it with 144v yet because i don't
have my battery's yet.
cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Nope - didn't test it. But it wouldn't be OK'd to be registered without it, so i assume it worked. You know, you could test your heater with 12 volts...it should still work to some degree (thus, proving you got the wiring right....)
Cheers,
Kearon

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Tue, 30 Sep 2008, 02:45

Hey all, yesterday I posted some VERY interesting stuff (courtesy of Arniem) on the evcapri website - a full pdf of the modelling info for the project. Or, how Arniem has figured it will go. He can also pump other figures (ie: YOUR dream build) in to the program he's creating...his email is there too.
Also - apologies for not having another episode finished and ready...my schedule is looking more like a jigsaw puzzle these days! I WILL get onto it though...

[EDIT: fixed link --S.]
Last edited by Striker on Sun, 26 Oct 2008, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Wed, 08 Oct 2008, 16:34

Hiy DIY, Yeah, it had power steering. I'm going to build it without, and if I miss it too much, I'll put in an electric steering pump.

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Wed, 08 Oct 2008, 16:39

I'm having an 'EV Capri working bee' here at my place in Beacon Hill on Saturday 8th (that's in 3 days from now...).

Anyone good with cars and electric bits is welcome to come over and grab a spanner.... I'll be putting the BBQ on.

I figure this is the only way I may get the car ready for the field day on the 19th!

Gimma a call on 0403115215 or email me [url=mailto:kdc@makinnoize.com]here[/url] to let me know if you're on (as I don't end up spending huge chunks of time here on the forums...)

Cheers all,

Kearon

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Sun, 26 Oct 2008, 20:45

Geez- Seems I'm the only one who posts here anymore!!
Well, here's whats going on 'EV Capri'-wise...

*   The batteries are in the car, and the back seat will go back on no prob
*   The Curtis controller is ready to go (Had to go Curtis - Ian Hooper is still fine-tuning his controller design and doesn't want to rush releasing it)
*   All I have to do is wire it up!

Who's up for 'EV Capri working bee # 3' next Sat Nov 1st? The idea THIS time is to get it driving!!!

Usual deal - I supply BBQ and beer - you supply good vibes and a screwdriver or 2. Any takers?

Cheers all,

Kearon
'
PS: Yeah, EV Capri is about 3 episode behind 'real life progress' - that's the choice I made when all you guys decided to pitch in and get on the tools with me! Rest assured though - more episodes will come...

PPS: I gotta thank all who came for huge long saturdays and refused to let me at least cover equipment costs (at least for the welding gear, cmon mate!!!) to get so much work done in the last two weeks - I'm really quite, well, speechless. Which for me is, well, you know - odd.

Striker
Groupie
MSN: passport2@evilhouse.net

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Striker » Sun, 26 Oct 2008, 21:26

Mate, I'm so glad to hear that the work days helped you out. There are some really helpful people around here.

Again, apologies for not being there. Work doesn't take kindly to me not showing up.

I'll be looking forward to seeing this thing drive.

--Striker.
"Remember, remember the eleventh of September,
the government treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the government treason
should ever be forgot."

Rattrap
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Rattrap » Mon, 27 Oct 2008, 13:32

Hey Keron,
still following along with your journey even tho i haven't posted much in your thread. Keep them videos coming!

EV2Go

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 28 Oct 2008, 00:10

I might need to be the foreman on this one, as my electrical skills (or lack thereof) are likely to get me blown up.

I am sure there will be a fabrication job or two I can over engineer Image

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 16:09

Progress report on the EV Capri

Hey all,
Gotta say - I have been putting a LOT more time into the EV Capri than usual (read as: no new episode ready yet!) - here are some photos of how it's all looking at the moment. On the home stretch....!ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Oh, and thanks Jaron and Paul... it's a lot more fun workin' with mates over!
Last edited by Kearon on Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

Rattrap
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Rattrap » Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 16:28

looking good Kearon, very profesional.

woody

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by woody » Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 16:52

Kearon wrote: Hiy DIY, Yeah, it had power steering. I'm going to build it without, and if I miss it too much, I'll put in an electric steering pump.
A lot of cars with power steering and manual steering models had different ratios. I.E. if the power steering isn't working the steering will be a _lot_ heavier than the manual steering model, and won't pass blue slip.

You'll need a manual steering rack.

cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Kearon
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Kearon » Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 17:06

Heya Woody,
Hmm - Christies Capri got past ok Image
And I've steered while having the car pusheed...was pretty easy (ie: no wieght in the front..>). Time will tell....

woody

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by woody » Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 17:21

OK cool, my (Stock) Commodore didn't pass with broken power steering, it was waaaay heavy. (I needed to see the physio which cost as much as fixing the power steering).

I haven't met Christie, but I'm betting her Capri steering is a lot lighter than my broken Commodore was :-)

The ratio might be the same, Americans like their power steering light and fluffy.

Also VR commodores all have power steering, so they didn't have to worry about making it easy.

cheers,
Woody
Last edited by woody on Mon, 03 Nov 2008, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

htial
Groupie

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by htial » Fri, 21 Nov 2008, 03:36

Hi Kearon...

Thanks for directing me towards these forums...   (I can't remember how I got to your site Image )   ...I've watched all your vids on www.evcapri.com and love the end of number 7 the most...   ...Really makes me want to get my hands dirty and start a Nissan Skyline project...

- - Laith...

Peter C in Canberra

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 16:52

Hi Kearon,
Your motor bay photos are very helpful. I have much the same kit of parts for my Charade. The motor has just gone in but not anything else yet and I now need to work out the details of the layout. Am I right that your shelf is supported by resting on the chassis rails as they extend forward on either side of the motor bay and an Al square section running across the rear with a hinge? Is that attached with just two bolts into the chassis rail? Are there restrictions to be aware of for putting holes into that structural member? Thanks for your help.
Peter.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, demo iMiEV 2013-present, used Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100%-renewable-by-2020 electricity.

EV2Go

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 02 Dec 2008, 21:19

Hi Peter, your description is accurate, but if you look carefully you will see bolt holes and a plastic grommet in that same chassis rail. The rear bar is mounted in such a way that it doesn’t affect the strength.

A factory bolt hole (pictured) without a bolt in it would be weaker than a hole with a bolt in it, and the self tappers holding the rail down are smaller than the factory bolt holes.

Thalass

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by Thalass » Wed, 03 Dec 2008, 06:10

That panel is great. You might find it makes noise as it vibrates, though. A strip of thin rubber around the edge would sort that out. Though I guess it depends on how firmly it's held down.

Great job! I'm itching for my own conversion now, damnit.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

EV2Go

Kearon's EV Capri

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 03 Dec 2008, 18:06

Kearon has put a strip of fairly firm foam rubber along the front edge and a bolt through both sides to stop the rattle. I don't think it should rattle but I guess we will find out on Sunday when we finally get it mobile. (no pressure now Kearon Image )