Custom Build... 2 Speed RC Motored e-Cruiser

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
AussieJester
Groupie
MSN: aussiejester@hotmail.com

Post by AussieJester »

LOL@Fizban...its not out of the question only ~35 clicks to the beach ...i would get there no probs, its getting back thats the problem its a big hill to my place.

Go the Cortinaaaaaa i could leave a wider burnout than your car hehehe..

KiM
Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban »

You could use a ski rope and hook onto a local bus,
or maybe make friends with a beachside resident or business
and carry your charger if it isn't too big.
Thats assuming you take the chair to get around whilst charging.
Sounds like a lot of work though.
I'd bet a bicycle shop would let you park it out front with the charger plugged in.
Just to pull the customers in.
Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban »

Oh I nearly forgot I thought you should see this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwODx028_Jw
watch the poor centrifugal clutch closely
Ok I am slowly making my way through the colossus motor thread and just saw that
someone else posted the same link so I guess you have seen it.
Last edited by Fizban on Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

I have been trying to sort a neat suspension setup for the frame
alas it just didn't happen, i couldn't get anything that appealed to me
in the looks department so have gone with solid rear end again, with the big
bounce springs under the bobber seat pan i think we will be good to go...

I was lucky to have my good mate Snapper up today again,
haha lucky that i called him and asked if he would mind
giving me a hand LoL... :mrgreen: I bent the tubing notched
it and Snapper welded it up THX Mate :-) ...after a few
Bintangs (beer) He attacked it with the grinder/flap disk we now
have a complete nicely aligned frame again!

I have re-used the old droputs, after much cutting they were relieved from the
old chainstays/seat stays haha

Bent up the seat stays and chainstays (seem to have lost the pic of the chain stays :-S)

Can see in above pic, only one set of welds on the dropouts have been cleaned up, the welds were extremely good after hit with some grinder and flap disk love the turned out very nice ALSO note, there is no longer 'open' tubing EV2GO haha you will be happy to know my mate Snapper agreed with you and the ends should be filled :-P he turned the welder up to HI and filled the ends in beautifully! i am well pleased with the result :-)

With the anti spatter spray liberally applied cleaning up the spatter was much easier affair ...Of course after it was all nicely welded we had to see how it all sat upright with the forks in! Using the threaded rod from the jig we pressed in the cups/sealed cartridge bearings into the frames headtube before fitting the forks and mocking it up-->

Frame with forks weighs in at ~9kilo ! Frame alone is ~5.4kilo HEAP HEAPS lighter than the crusier frame/fork combo...

The spacing between the rim and seat tube is more uniformed ;-) Rear dropouts are also now 180mm lots a a room for the big extra wide sturmey archer then some, need to be fitting sprocket AND disk rotor on the left side!

Snapper is cutting plasma cutting me some gussets at his work this week for the front of the frame/head tube for a lil more strength seeing the front might be getting a bit of a hammering on this bike haha... along with a big piece of 4mm flat plate for the bottom bracket mounting...

While Snapper was merrily grinding away i thought i would take some video
shows you guys the amount of work that went into the weld cleanup i guess.. Towards the end of the clip theres some closeups of the finished
flapped disked dropouts :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My8XfMvZVo8

I will get to the plugs needed to make the molds for the fiberglass enclosures this week, warm up today! i have a friend with a second hand surf ski and/or canoe coming up for some help with a hole repair using fiber glass hahaa...

I got word from Thud that he might be doing some Anodizing on Sunday! Hopefully might have some pics of that later ... eagerly awaiting progress update from Thudmiester today as he also was rewinding the motor again last night :wink: ..Hope all went well Mate

Back with more soon...

KiM
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

My mate Snapper Fish dropped off the gussets he plasma cut for me from 3-4mm steel plate,
snaps made paper templates last weekend to take to work with him, not all the plates will be
used, the front gusset for the head tubes a definite along with the plate for the bottom bracket
the rest unsure but have them if needed...

^^lil added security seeing the front might be taking a bit more of a hammering than your
average bicycle hahaha...

I have been working on mates 16 odd foot surf ski last few days sanding it and spraying it with Gelcoat shall take a few
pics later today of it hings HUGE...will get back onto the bike over the weekend...

ciao for now

KiM
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

I just got pmed from ThudSTaR 8)   The 2 Speed Thudster box is nearing completion...Thud has actually made a complete new unit :shock: due to some alignment issues with shafts and bearings i believe...this has been rectified in the plans also IIRC Thud?

... I have been sent a lil clip of the 2 speed box showing the gear changing lever in action-->

^shot with one of the 808 remote control look-a-like spy cameras ...still waiting on my 2 to be delivered grrrr...

I am so pleased with the whole thing, as i have said to Thud it is alot smaller than i had envisaged after viewing the plans of the box
only requires some polishing and anodizing before its shipped my way! So excited .... Awesome work Thud :D

I have about 1/4 left of this surf ski to sand, i have my spray painter buddy coming tomorrow to spray it seeing he offered and will likely do a better job than i... Is coming up nice anywayz.

I will get back to the bike as said in previous post over this weekend....My hv160 should also be here any day, 2 speed box and rewound Turnigy on route early next week will see the blue cruiser mobile again very soon WOOOTz so missing the bike the weather has been beaudiful...

Big thanks to the ThudSTaR 8) for his efforts...back soon chaps

KiM
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Feels a whole lot like Christmas with bits turning up. I'm trying to order more bits but a lack of communication from the US is slowing things considerably. You would think they would be in a hurry to take money off you...
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

Yeah i know what you mean, always getting delayed because of my overseas purchases taking their sweet ass time...then again hahaa I ordered a 66cc Happy Time motor for my brother, came from Queensland left the day i paid for it took 9 days!! I got a set of rims for this bike from Ireland (chain Reaction Cycles) in 5 days only 3 of those days working days!

I thought you would of commented on the nice closed of tube ends buddy hahaha

So i finished the surf ski over the weekend turned out really well   looks alot like a GIANT banana hahaa
either way my mate is very happy with the job, took me best part of two days to sand the bloody thing and thats WITH an orbital sander
all good, mate Mick is a top fella always doing me favors, I didn't hesitate to offer to do the surf ski when he asked if i would give him a hand.
No payment for the work, hes a mate i dont charge mates for my labor but next time i break down i'll be calling Mick
as he has a big van LoL...

So with my workshop back i went out and continued fab on the 2 speed cruiser frame...in particular the aluminum
plates that will hold the electronics...GOT Lipo? Got room for 22 packs within your frame? I HAVE :mrgreen:

Firstly though the front gusset needed trimming to remove some weight, i am ever wary of that 75lb weight limit :-P

After the front gusset was added i simply laid the frame upon the 3mm aluminum plate and marked
out the aluminum that will be the mounting plate to hold lipo packs/electronic speed controller etc...

Same procedure for the lower aluminum mounting plate...

The top aluminum sheet I can go ahead and mount, i will use steel tabs welded to the frames tubing to secure
the ali plate to the frame. The lower sheet i will obviously need to cut out sections to allow for the 2 speed Thudster Box
bottom bracket and stabilizer /actuator setup. I did a quick sketch onto the plates to see how we are looking for room hehehe
keep in mind, the lipo 'rectangles' inked on the aluminum represent TWO LIPO PACKS as i will be using 2 packs side by side :-P

i used an old 22v pack as a template to draw these so they are lil larger than pack size :-P

Jealous much Hyena? thats room for TWENTY TWO PACKS within the frames triangle my dress wearing lippy applying, frock mounting friend :mrgreen:

Just having a bite to eat and heading back out, hopefully have the top aluminum plate mounted by days end...
Once i have all the tabs welded to the frame i will be moving to the construction of the carbon fiber/fiberglass
tank and lower battery enclosure...

Back soon

KiM

p.s Just about to hit enterz and the Courier rocks in with my BRAND NEW v2 hv160!! $135 bucks THANKYOU Castle!

Thudster has also informed me today the drive is in the tank being anodized, the man is hoping to get
both motor and 2 speed away sometime this week...work and family commitments allowing...
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

I have a few more pics from this afternoons happenings, not alot but took me all afternoon grrr...

I made 4 aluminum 'tabs' i guess you could call them? to fasten the top aluminum plate
to the frame, i will be fixing another two plates to the frame towards the center of the ali plate
to complete the fastening.

Marked and roughly cut-->

2 of the 4 tabs bolted and matched...

2 down 2 to go...two tabs are used front and rear to fasten the plate, could of used the one but i am fussy
even though when the fiberglass/carbon fiber enclosures/tank is made none of this will be visible :-S

Positioned these on the ali and drilled and fastened using 6mm stainless steel button head cap screws/nyloc nuts-->

The alumnium mounting plate still requires a lil 'love' on the edges so the gap between frame tubing and plate is equal
all the way around the plates perimeter...

I plan to use a 10mm threaded rod through the single hole (the hole drilled into the gussets of frame) this threaded rod will
fasten a sheet of thin ply wood in the shape i wish the base of the top 'tank' to be,
when complete this threaded rod will be replaced with 'stand offs' similar to those used in your pc case to
fasten your motherboard to the case...cept ALOT bigger, i will then use ~8mm
stainless steel button head cap screw to fasten the tank/enclosure to the frame, should be a neat solution i think.

Back with more soon

KiM
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hey Kim,

Great project which I've been following with interest. You certainly seem to know what you're doing with metal so forgive me if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs here, but are you aware of the need to use Durolac (AKA "yellow goop) between the SS and the ally to prevent galvanic corrosion? Otherwise, you'll likely see the ally around the holes gradually dissolve into a white powder.

Cheers and keep up the fine workmanship,
Rob Hills
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

Cheers rhills and yes i am aware of corrosion and also galling with SS/SS neither of which have ever been an issue for me in the past oddly enough...maybe one day ill actually witness it happen to something i make though LoL... Cheers for the input always appreciated, obviously its not just me reading this thread so others may benefit even if i am aware the input given, please always feel free to comment if you think it could be beneficial to all :-)

KiM
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Isn't that electrolisis caused by dissimilar metals? Probably get that more from steel and alloy than SS.

What give with that expression anyway I have never understood it, why would you want to teach your grandma to suck eggs? Why would anyone want to suck eggs in the first place, let alone teach someone how to???

I could understand if the saying was... you don't need to teach your grandma to knit, at least that would make sense.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

I had the same thought as I typed it. I've used the expression from time to time but never discovered its origin.

WRT the galvanic corrosion, I see it all the time with Aluminium and stainless steel. I own a yacht and if I put a SS screw into an aluminium spar (mast or boom) without using Duralac (or similar), I get galvanic corrosion within a few months. Now of course a yacht is surrounded by salt water which provides the necessary environment for this to occur, but around Perth, most places are near enough to the sea to get some salty air from time to time so I reckon it doesn't hurt to use it.

It happens that I'm currently refurbishing a couple of brass lamps from outside the front of our house. We're about 800m from the sea as the crow flies so we definitely have plenty of salty air here. However, I found it interesting that in these lamps, most of the metal has very superficial corrosion, however around areas where dissimilar metals are in contact (some bits are just mild steel, some galvanised AFAICT), there is quite deep and extensive corrosion. When I put the lamp back together, I'll lacquer the brass to protect it, but I'll also put some yellow goop in wherever I have dissimlar metals (mostly screws).

Cheers,
Rob Hills
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

So clearly the salt air acts as a catlyst and excelerates the process..

See you learn more that just EV related stuff on this forum Image
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

My original idea was to use MDF i have laying about to make a plug to cast a mold for the enclosures, i have decided against this in favour of the polystyrene simply due to ease of shaping i guess...SO...I scoured the Yellow Pages phone book for a local supplier of Polystyrene low and behold i found one close by better yet for 5 bucks i picked up enough offcuts to do half a dozen enclosures hahaa... heres what i scored-->

I'll simply layer this on a template ill cut from ply or similar to the shape i want my tank/enlosure base, then shape it, spray it
with spray putty to protect the foam from the resin melting it and i'll be ready to make me some molds i can lay up some sweet exy carbon fiber into :-)

I also finished the mounting of the top aluminium mounting plates, noting spectacular but in keeping with detailing all aspects of the build heres how it turned out chaps-->

Additional welded tabs

Four brackets made (one eoither side of the tab) and held in place with 6mm stainless steel button head cap screws.

Word is Thudster is assembling the 2 Speed Thudster BoX this evening, Thud offered several option for gear ratio
in the box, I have decided on ratio given 16 tooth-->48tooth sprockets will be used on the final stage reduction

#1) 1st=43kph 2nd=67kph

This should give me a niiiiiice mix of pulling power up the big hills here and a nice top speed also...
Obviously i can change this ratio simply by dropping front/rear sprocket size but ~70clicks as top speed
with ball tearing acceleration is more than enough for me in the hills ;-)

Thud hinted we might be seeing some exy pics this evening also... :: wink ::

More soon

KiM
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

No idea what is going on with this forum but it hangs and doesnt load more times than not when i try to post anything, i see theres already a post missing i did yesterday, so those wanting to follow the build best do so at Endless Sphere i have very little patience for site that don't run smoothly sorry.

KiM.
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Took me a good hour and a whole heap of bandwidth (in retries) to get in yesterday, everything else loaded fine it was just the forums. Image

Using polystyrene instead of MDF is a smart move might need to put that one in my bag of tricks come body time.
Last edited by EV2Go on Thu, 23 Sep 2010, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

Yeah sh*ts me no end and it happens regularly for me, nearly everytime i try to post in fact, if it ever gets fixxed lemme know...best of luck with your build EV2GO :-) Updates can be seen on Endless Sphere daily unedited.

KiM
EV2Go

Post by EV2Go »

Just a tip: I have taken to copying the post (inclucing links to pics) before I hit the submit button in case it doesn't go through, that way if it hangs half way through you can still have the links to the pictures.
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Post by johnfriartuck »

hi i want to get the plans for the forks you have on the rat trike can they still be downloaded free i looked at your overview video but it dont stay on long enuff to rite it all down so can you put the site up here for us   thanx    john
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Post by johnfriartuck »

hi saw the bit about mdf and polystyrene for molds and thought id add my two penneth if your only doing it once you can save time by making up the finished shape with the poly blocks then lay the fibre on it when its dry and the rite thickness you then pull out the poly,and you have the finished shape ready to sand and paint
AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester »

johnfriartuck wrote: hi i want to get the plans for the forks you have on the rat trike can they still be downloaded free i looked at your overview video but it dont stay on long enuff to rite it all down so can you put the site up here for us   thanx    john

They are john Brain springer fork plans google that or simply pause the youtube video when the link comes up.

KiM
johnfriartuck
Groupie

Post by johnfriartuck »

hey Kim im in the process of ordering a double disc hub and calipers from choppersus jost wondered if you had to pay any import duties when your stuff arrived    john