Custom Build... 2 Speed RC Motored e-Cruiser

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
AussieJester
Groupie
MSN: aussiejester@hotmail.com

Post by AussieJester » Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 17:17

Worlklog for the 2 Speed Thudster Box Equipped Cruiser

Please Note:- The Original of this Worklog
Can be Found on Endless Sphere Forums, this below
is a copy from that thread as such some names and events mentioned
may make little sense, my apologies in advance.

As many are aware i have started a new build that will be home for a 2 Speed box Thud has generously
offered to build for me, along with a re-winding of the old HXT Turnigy to give it some more beans and reliability
Huge thanks to Thud for this, i believe there is a limited number of these boxes being made
i am extremely appreciative that Thud has offered one of them to me for my bike, the generosity of the people
of this forum constantly blows me away, i freaking love this hobby and the die hard developers that continue to
push it forward...Thankyou Todd :-)

The bike, I am basing the frame on a Basman frame-->

^^^This is similar to what i am chasing, i want a lil more ground clearance
and slightly smaller rear end to better fit a 24in rim/ tire combo.

I made a few rough sketches to get the sizing and placement of components, CAD
buffs are in for a treat here BEHOLD :mrgreen: -->

:mrgreen: As you can see i still haven't warmed to using AutoCAD (or any other CAD software LoL)
hey! i used a rule this time!...and mathomat mines a lil different
but has circles i used for the wheels :lol:

Not having a certain"member from Costa Rica's skills" to build frames accurately without a jig, i decided another frame jig was
needed, this time however a i wanted a re-usable jig for future builds-->

I used a couple of pieces of exercise equipment i found during kerbside rubbish collection

The addition of a new hydraulic height adjustable bench in my workshop has been a god send makes things so
much easier for me, the jig sits upon it.

Currently its set for this new frame, but could easily be altered for next build. I shall keep it stored away between builds.

One issue i have had with the last 2 frame builds is sourcing a 1 1/8 I.D head tube, on both occasions Matt.P has come to the rescue
donating first a OCC Chopper frame and now a West Coast Chopper frame, the headset was cut and cleaned
HUGE props to Matt, thanks again mate :) -->

I started bending tubes couple of days ago, taking it slow and steady, the tubing being used
is ~31 OD with a 1.6mm wall thickness for the front of the frame, chain stays will us ~21in 1.6mm wall thickness

After making a mess of a couple of pieces i finally got the 'lines' i was looking for
in this frame, i roughly cut the tubing to length before I laid the frame out on the
concrete for a better look-->

Happy with the bends i then went about mounting the frame into the jig
notching the ends of the tubing and tacking it together-->

All the tubes lined up beautifully, they are very 'sturdy' tacs :D this combined with the jig
holding the frame in position for full welding will see the frame stay in this exact shape :-) FYI: Frame has ~30 degree of rake for the curious amongst you ;-) ...

I intended to work on the rear of the frame yesterday afternoon but a mate getting me metal plate
for the rear dropouts didn't come through (his boss was on the lookout all day apparently LOL)
I have some RHS beam here i use as an Anvil i will chop into instead , these will be some more
seriously thick dropouts to make Hyena'sfrock fan bois jealous LoL

So...I positioned some scrap tubing on the rear to get an idea how the rear will come together-->

Hopefully next update will see pretty much complete frame ready for full welding...

As always the build will be delayed due to $$$ and freight wait times, but i shall endeavor
to have this bike finished ALOT quicker time than the cruiser has taken, looking at 3 months
MAX hopefully sooner for full mock up ride. I guess some will be wondering colours i will be using
for this frame? well.. I am going with Satin Black (differs slightly from GangSTa 8) black)...All alloy
parts not polished to chrome finish will
be anodized Blue...Sun Ringle DoubleWide Disc Rim will be used supporting either Schwalbe Tyres Crazy BoB 2.35in or
2.5in Maxxis Hookworms depending how the $$$ situation is going...likely 26in up front 24in rear like pictured bike above...
The drive train...obviously a 2 Speed Thudster box driving via chain on the left side of the bike to
rear sprocket, manual pedal will be right side...very simple.. Hydraulic disks all round
8in front 6in rear..Forks...am on the lookout for some 5-6 year old triple
crown Downhill forks for ~300 bucks...hear of any let me know...
Cruiser will run a sensor ed setup (eventually)
what controller this will be remains to be seen, when time comes to purchase i will see what is going
if it was now, a 18fet infineon most likely with magic from Mr Edward Lyen wavved over it, he is working
on sensorless infineon for these HXT motors hopefully that will materialize sooner rather than later now
he has a pair of these motors to work with...Will run 66v (initially) Lithium Polymer batter config
using [color=#008000">GGoodrum[/color"> boards and balancing system.

Thats about it for now...any thing not covered above ask me and i'll be more than happy
to answer any questions...

Back soon with update...

KiM

EDIT: Image links fixed...
Last edited by AussieJester on Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 18:11

Hey Kim I would like to say nice looking project but I can only see three pictures, is that my crappy wireless internet or are the problems with the links?

Pity you are on the other side of the country or I would have been happy to lend you my neck jig. Once I have used it I will have no further use for it.

With regards to getting a neck I encountered the same difficulty, I tried a couple of local fabricators, and one wanted $400 just to turn up one.

I wound up getting mine from Bitter End

I bought the straight version because of the size pipes I wanted to join to it but would recommend the tapered version because mine weighs about 2 kgs.

Also I bought a copy of the Girder CD off them if your interested in building your own girder. They don't mind you sharing provided it's not commercial sharing for a profit.

ImageImage
Last edited by EV2Go on Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 18:49

No not your connection, some images were hosted on the Endless sphere forum they didn't appear for some reason worked on other forums, have fixed them now...

Nice neck jig, bit over kill for bicycle size tubing though haha..there s a frame building supplier for bicycle parts also but i wanted something now not in 3 weeks haha..

KiM

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Thu, 12 Aug 2010, 19:03

Ahh yes the constant waiting dilema... I positively hate waiting for parts, especially if they don't keep you in the loop of what is happening (recently had a dummy spit in my own thread about this very problem).

I reckon if you had access to a lathe you could turn up your own necks fairly easily. Mine has the steering stop machined into one end, but you could make one without that really easy.

BTW another nice design, look forward to following the build.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Sat, 14 Aug 2010, 04:26

Well...I Had a bit of an interrupted day as such didn't get as much done as
i would have liked.

Trimmed my template up a lil marked the shape of the desired dropout on
steel and ripped into it-->

As i only managed to get the rear droputs cutout today i slipped out to the workshop
this evening and bent up a couple of chain stays... shall do the remaining
two and tack it all in place...

Apologies this is shocking pic i should of used flash...shall get better pics
when shes all tacked up anyhoot...

Cheers all...

KiM

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Sun, 15 Aug 2010, 00:15

So ..i ran out
of welding wire went and bought a new roll, different brand and its absolute rubbish as in
i can't use it at all its like its not for gasless welding, whether its a bad batch or just outright sh*t
wire i dunno, but it is crap... so pissed as i have the frame 95% welded now, the front half is
fully welded and half of the chain stays.

My oldest and best friend dropped in this morning while i was bending the final chainstay,
"Snapper" is a motor body builder and has been for 20 years...he welded my tacked frame up in
under 10 minutes, he would of finished the entire job if not for the wire running out, he was a machine haha...
I should have a new frame to show... as is...still need to weld a few spots on the ass end...

Snapper also bought me up the 3mm steel plate top for my new bench! check this out-->

Nice coat of primer stops spatter sticking, i simply brushed it off when all the welding was done.

OK...few pics of the mornings proceedings-->

Dropouts will be slightly trimmed along visible pen line (seen in first pic more clearly) ...

Have allowed lots of room for chains and BiG wide mofo tires :lol:

Have a few random pics of the welding, required very little grinding, Snapper
insisted hitting them all with flap disk when he had finished though, using the anti
spatter spray it was very little clean up time.

Couple of side on pics...

Mocked up with a couple of old rims to have a looksee at how shes comin' alongz

I had my eyez on a set of Boxer 2004 triple clamp forks on EBay but someone snapped them up for buy now
price last night.. :: sigh :: also...I was curious what are the longest downhill fork available
would i be right in assuming 35cm stanchions are up there amongst the longest aside from some of the newer
$2k forks... I will be needing the longest i can find anywayz...

Think that's it for now...need to wait till i can afford some more wire to replace the garbage i bought
and no, i can't take it back. That will be Thursday unless circumstances unexpectedly change..
First and last time i buy cheap wire over CIG wire i been using for years trouble free.

Back when i have more..

KiM

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 14:16

man I have been reading this thread here and elsewhere. What can I say I am impressed doesn't seem to cover it. I will be watching eagerly and will shamelessly think about stealing design ideas and techniques I like if I can ever get my other crap sorted enough to do something similar myself. Love your work and hope you never stop sharing your progress.
Is it ok to P.M. you ? I would like to throw some ideas around and get your opinion.
Last edited by Fizban on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 15:35

Kim how have you been capping these ends off? I came across a technique on that chopper site and was wondering if you did it a different way.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 15:35

Thanks Fizban and feel free to pm me no probs there be happy to hear your ideas mate. If you like this build you might like my last two as well, they can be seen on this site also if you haven't caught them yet?

Thanks again for the kind words mate...all the best

KiM

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 16:08

EV2Go wrote: Kim how have you been capping these ends off? I came across a technique on that chopper site and was wondering if you did it a different way.

I haven't bothered capping them didn't on the e-cruiser before either, it could very easily tapper the ends of the tube i.e /\ <-- shape and press the sides of the tube together to form a straight notch to slip over your dropouts and thus reducing the gap to state a single weld across the end would seal it up... More "Ghetto" way would be to run a tripple fillet weld across the end to seal it as it is....again though i won't be bothering i am happy as they are, my BMX bikes in the 80's were the same haha

KiM
Last edited by AussieJester on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 18:59

The reason I asked is because I came across these, and was just curious if you were doing it differently.

I looked all over their website to find the article that showed you what they did, but basically they just split them in two (minus plate width) and weld half on each side to give it a finished look.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 19:05

No worries, i have seen them before actually..the wall thickness of them is 2 1/2 times the thickness of my tubing though , remember i'm working with bicycle size gear here not motorcyle its alot more light weight ;-)

KiM

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 19:26

Yeah I'm only talking conceptually, not literally use those parts Image.

There would have to be something here in Oz maybe in Bunning or similar that both of us could use for our respective pipe sizes.
Last edited by EV2Go on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 20:11

I think a hole saw and some 3mm steel plate would be my approach if i cared about closing the ends, and or the method i outlined above i definitely wouldn't entertain buying anything thing 'pre-made' to do it, i make it whenever its possible not buy ready made alternatives. :-) I am about to head out and complete the welding on the frame now...back soonz

KiM

Last edited by AussieJester on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 23:45

or maybe an engineering workshop that has a hole punch. the ones I am talking about can be used on sheet metal up to 10mm plate the pieces punched out go into the scrap bin normally so a handful could be gotten free.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 00:24

If it is a light enough gauge of material you could just give it a really good whack with a ball pein hammer to get a shape like that.

Or if you want to get all high tech maybe get a block of wood, drill a hole larger than the cup needed, and then press the shape in with a vice.

But I don't think Kim is all that concerned about it, so not really worth thinking about (unless of course like me you like thinking about crap for the heck of it... I really need to look for a job Image).

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 02:36

Fizban wrote: or maybe an engineering workshop that has a hole punch. the ones I am talking about can be used on sheet metal up to 10mm plate the pieces punched out go into the scrap bin normally so a handful could be gotten free.

HAHA i had a job when working for Kewdale Structual Engineers (20 years ago now) for a freaking week punching ~20mm hols in the end of beams, wonderfull job.
EV2Go wrote:

But I don't think Kim is all that concerned about it

HAHA...yup you got it ;-)

Update

I picked up another roll of welding wire this morning when out depositing some $$$
in my bank account to pay for the Marzocchi forks, this arvo i got to finishing welding the dropouts in
up and gave the frame/welds a bit of a clean up with flap disk, few pics of that-->

After the frame was fully welded i took it out of the jig keen to get some idea how
it will sit with wheels, I used the old springer fork tubes from the trike, i think they
are a lil shorter than the Marzocchi forks i also don't have a 26in rim to pop in
the front, not to matter-->

Only thing i am a lil concerned about is the seat position/height, if i put it back
where planned the reach to the pedals maybe to long as too the bars,
(i wont be welding in the bottom bracket until a later date either way)...if i put
the seat up on the top tube like the original Basman, it will be too high for
me to get onto the bike...i think :?: :? ... shall leave everything as is until i have
the wheels and forks here and on the bike, if its wrong meh, ill buy another
55 bucks worth of tubing mark it down as experience and start over hahaa...

Back soon...

KiM

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 04:43

I am sure you would have buyers fighting each other to get their hands on a custom frame from you. Wonder where the bidding would start ?
Last edited by Fizban on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 07:39

Actually...I have offered to build one for cost of the tubing and a roll of wire for a fella on Endless Sphere thats helped me out in the past, so i guess around 80 bucks if you wanted to put a number on it haha

I will be making some moids to the new frmae, i dont like the top tube and the thinner tube below it, needs a slight more arch to it and the bike, i think ill shoirten it 8 inches when i adjust these two tubes...wont be touching it till the new forks arrive though, ah crap...i missed copying a post over to this forum damn!...oh well... i bought a set of Marzocchi Drop Off tripple clamp forks yesterday they ill be here next week... :-) When i have them i shall make some alterations to suit...

Cheers mate

KiM

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 15:33

So this is like a 4 up, 8 out frame huh? Image

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 16:11

I would love to see you do a build using the wheels and tyres of something like this
http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html

AussieJester
Groupie

Post by AussieJester » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 18:00

Not far off what i will be using on this bike Fizban   Have some 3.5in tires and extra wide rims planned :-) Maxxis Hookworms come in 3.5in and are available local, superb tires i use one on the front of the cruiser but only a 1.95in

If you like wide rims though those are tiny compared to whats available at Choppers US remeber the 20in x 4.25in rear on my cruiser? they are available in 24in and 26in also, my mate Matt has a set on the custom ali cruiser he built-->

I call it his 'Jaffa Bike" unfortunately its looks is pretty much all it has going for it, its terrible to ride has very high rolling resistance with such big tires.

KiM

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 18:15

lol thats what the missus used to call me in the kingswood chocolate centre in a red car

Fizban
Noobie

Post by Fizban » Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 21:43

Ok I think I get it now you are building the new bike hoping to get a range big enough to get you to the beach. Then with those tyres you can ride on the beach looking for white pointers. This also explains the quick build it's only 13 days until spring and the weather will be warming up and women will be going back to the beach and working on their tans and such. I think the video of a trip like that would get heaps of views.
Last edited by Fizban on Wed, 18 Aug 2010, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

woody

Post by woody » Thu, 19 Aug 2010, 06:22

AussieJester wrote:remeber the 20in x 4.25in rear on my cruiser?
Haha that is wide, the cortina has 13in x 3.625in all round...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack