NEED HELP WITH FINDING THE RIGHT MOTOR

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
ev cool capri
Noobie

Post by ev cool capri » Thu, 17 Jun 2010, 21:07

Hi Guys Image Image Image

My Red EV Capri is now an everyday work car for me. And when I get into my gas Mitsubishi Pajero or the Commodore I don't get the same torque that I get from my EV, So I get back into my EV at every opportunity to drive. Currently I drive about 70 kms a day and I am now currently getting about 79-80kms per charge.

Now to the subject matter. I am now looking to source a really fast motor AC or DC and I am thinking of a donor car such as a Lamborghini Countach replica or a BMW 3 Series Convertible, which I am looking at currently to purchase. Any suggestions on good possible Donor cars would be welcome.

Is there an electric motor which can do way over 5500rpm any suggestions, and I am now also looking for a better controller than the Curtis 1231c.

Also I am trying to find out more about lithium batteries which I do not have to worry about being drained and become useless once they drop to certain level I have already replaced 4 batteries. Sick of looking to see when the warning lamp is going to come on and as you all know, you only need one battery going down to upset the whole driving enjoyment. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Finally any suggestions on a cool donor car for conversion, it is for my 18 year old daughter.

Thanks Guys
Image Image Image
Last edited by ev cool capri on Thu, 17 Jun 2010, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Fri, 18 Jun 2010, 02:34

I reckon a Karmann Ghia would have to tick a lot of the boxes as a potential EV.

Controller... haven't installed my Soliton1 yet but it look the goods, but only realy practical if you plan to step it up big time from your Capri.

Motor... I would advise staying DC since your electrical knowlege is limited (much like my own).
Last edited by EV2Go on Thu, 17 Jun 2010, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss » Fri, 18 Jun 2010, 03:52

ev cool capri wrote: Hi Guys Image Image Image

My Red EV Capri is now an everyday work car for me. And when I get into my gas Mitsubishi Pajero or the Commodore I don't get the same torque that I get from my EV, So I get back into my EV at every opportunity to drive. Currently I drive about 70 kms a day and I am now currently getting about 79-80kms per charge.

Now to the subject matter. I am now looking to source a really fast motor AC or DC and I am thinking of a donor car such as a Lamborghini Countach replica or a BMW 3 Series Convertible, which I am looking at currently to purchase. Any suggestions on good possible Donor cars would be welcome.

Is there an electric motor which can do way over 5500rpm any suggestions, and I am now also looking for a better controller than the Curtis 1231c.

Also I am trying to find out more about lithium batteries which I do not have to worry about being drained and become useless once they drop to certain level I have already replaced 4 batteries. Sick of looking to see when the warning lamp is going to come on and as you all know, you only need one battery going down to upset the whole driving enjoyment. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Finally any suggestions on a cool donor car for conversion, it is for my 18 year old daughter.

Thanks Guys
Image Image Image

The two motors for EV's which offer the highest performance are in my opinion those manufactured by UQM in the USA and the ironless motor made by Ultramotive in Brisbane which uses the Tritium Wavesculptor controller which is also made in Brisbane. Since you are in Brissie you might want to visit Bernie and the guys at Ultramotive and James and the guys at Tritium and have a look at the motor and controller.
Of course we are talking about the pinacle of performance and since you are talking about a high performance sportscar type of conversion I am assuming you have deep wallets to spend on this conversion.

With regard to your lithium battery question feel free to email me at info@lifetechlithium.com so I can send you our complete technical document on our "Total Power Management" solution for EV batteries which we are demonstrating to several of the major automakers in the USA.
This is a full CAN bus based system with BCU (Battery Control System)and provides every bit of information which you possibly would want to know about your batteries including the maximum, minimum and average, volts, amps and temperature of every cell in the battery pack. Full protection and monitoring is provided of each and every cell. All the battery information is available on a LCD user interface touch screen which can be built into the dashboard of the EV.
The battery information touch screen is shown below built in to a 350V demonstration battery pack.
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com

lithbattboss
Groupie

Post by lithbattboss » Fri, 18 Jun 2010, 04:06

ev cool capri I will be in Brisbane for all of the month of July (pretty much and maybe some of August) since I have several of my large electric boat projects nearing completion in SE Qld. I would be happy to catch up with you and show you how the battery computer interface and automatic lithium battery (over high volts and over low volts) protection works.
Perhaps it would be of interest to other members of AEVA in Brisbane if I came along to your monthly branch meeting in July (I will try to squeeze it in to my schedule)?
Where power matters.
XPS Power cells 25C discharge for high performance applicatiopns.
www.lifetechlithium.com

Geerant
Groupie
MSN: geerant101@hotmail.com

Post by Geerant » Mon, 18 Oct 2010, 00:28

Another motor to consider is the EVO-Electric's AFM 140, its very light and has alot of power and torque but only has a max speed of 5000RPM

http://www.evo-electric.com/inc/files/A ... t-V1.1.pdf
Working on the "Magnatron".

[url=mailto:geerant101@hotmail.com]Email[/url] me for more details.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Mon, 18 Oct 2010, 06:20

Why not give the guys at EV Works a call and discuss this

I just got my motor from Ian at EV Works and I couldn't be hapier with the build quality. Also an important factor when buying a motor is the after sales support.

In the extremely unlikely situation that the the guys at EV Works can't answer your questions, I have had absolutely fantastic customer service from the guys at Kostov, so you are definately not left out in the cold after you have bought it.

woody

Post by woody » Tue, 19 Oct 2010, 04:15

Geerant wrote: Another motor to consider is the EVO-Electric's AFM 140, its very light and has alot of power and torque but only has a max speed of 5000RPM

Very nice motor!

Very nice, informative, readable graphic!

Kostov, Netgain, ADC, Ultramotive feel free to copy this format :-)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Tue, 19 Oct 2010, 04:41

That reminds me of a turbo pressure map

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 382_12.htm

Geerant
Groupie

Post by Geerant » Tue, 19 Oct 2010, 05:58

woody wrote:
Geerant wrote: Another motor to consider is the EVO-Electric's AFM 140, its very light and has alot of power and torque but only has a max speed of 5000RPM

Very nice motor!

This is the motor I am using, it arrived the week before last. Its in with James at the moment getting tested then its off to get the adaptor plate fabricated at BHSS-TBS :-)

Last edited by Geerant on Mon, 18 Oct 2010, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Mesuge
Groupie

Post by Mesuge » Tue, 19 Oct 2010, 13:49

Always read the fine print, it sais EVO tested on 600VDC inverter, so how severe would be the derating on WaveSculptor or any other lower sitting "mid" voltage inverter, matter of minus (1-3%) from that 96% or more?
Last edited by Mesuge on Tue, 19 Oct 2010, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
ImageCzech EV Club | blog, gallery, video | http://old.elektromobily.org

Geerant
Groupie

Post by Geerant » Wed, 20 Oct 2010, 00:43

i am not sure about the Efficiency of the motor running on the Wavesculptor, but this is the performance prediction given out by EVO-Electric for the 4 turn version of the motor that I have running at 391Vdc.

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 20 Oct 2010, 01:06

You'll need a second job to pay for tyres with 660Nm at the motor.

Geerant
Groupie

Post by Geerant » Wed, 20 Oct 2010, 05:10

Hehe yeah, but as the original engine had 316Nm peak I am hesitant to exceed this... But yes it will most certainly be limited.

The original engine had 155Kw peak aswell, so i am not going to exceed this which is good :)

EV2Go

Post by EV2Go » Wed, 20 Oct 2010, 15:54

Mesuge wrote: Always read the fine print, it sais EVO tested on 600VDC inverter, so how severe would be the derating on WaveSculptor or any other lower sitting "mid" voltage inverter, matter of minus (1-3%) from that 96% or more?
Just thinking about Mesuge's point here, are the performance figures they quoted based off their 600v rig, or a real battery pack in the real world?

NetGain quote their motor figures at a 72v constant voltage (prop up the pack to keep that voltage flat)

Kostov seem to let their pack sag when they quote their numbers.

Last edited by EV2Go on Wed, 20 Oct 2010, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri, 29 Oct 2010, 17:59

Wait. You're going to keep the capri, and give a replica Lamborghini to your 18 year old daughter? You've got it backwards, man! Especially if this EV will live up to the Lambo name.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.