Voltron, the Electric RG!

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 06 Sep 2011, 18:46

Thanks Glenn! Great to catch up with you too. Yeah, a reliable bike is most of the battle at the moment. Convenient for me that Daniel had tech issues, but the outright battle for the year will happen in 5 weeks time. Massive thanks to Faz for building the tank cover for me - the bike looks a million times better. I just need to get a decent tail cover now Image

It was really good to see so much interest from the racers; we might even have an R6 conversion as a result of it! More bikes on the grid I say!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz » Tue, 06 Sep 2011, 20:32

Can you post a photo of the tank in place?

You need to buy some foam and start shaping the tail piece now.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 06 Sep 2011, 21:21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnd9gZHa ... r_embedded

http://www.flickr.com/photos/splinter/6 ... 472257783/

I'll try as best I can to get something made from foam, but there's not a lot of time. You will notice I try to stand in front of the rude bit whenever a photo is being taken Image
Last edited by jonescg on Tue, 06 Sep 2011, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz » Wed, 07 Sep 2011, 00:43

It looks pretty cool with the black paint.

GRMarks
Groupie

Post by GRMarks » Sun, 11 Sep 2011, 19:31

Last edited by GRMarks on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Glenn Marks

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sun, 25 Sep 2011, 01:20

Good luck with the next race!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Polmage
Noobie

Post by Polmage » Thu, 24 Nov 2011, 09:07

Hey there, looks pretty nice, your bike.
Aktually I registered here, because I have problems in understanding the electronics and hoped somebody could explain a little.
I'm an engeneering student and have a project, building an electric bike.

Why you use such a (for me) complex build, like you posted on Page 3.
Can you tell me what it is doing, with the 2 circles, and what a CA is? Never seen this before.

What are the disadvantage of the following wire plan and where the hell ist the free wheeling diode? Is it integrated?:Image

Sorry for so many questions. I think this will get me a lot of headaches...

Hopefully someone will reply :)

Edit and why don't you use a transistor instead of the relais? My prof told me
it would be much too slow.
Last edited by Polmage on Wed, 23 Nov 2011, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Fri, 25 Nov 2011, 18:20

Hi Polmage,

My wiring diagram is essentially as the Kelly diagram describes. I was trying a few different things for the pre-charge resister, mainly because I was worried that the controller being permanently powered up by the precharge resister would slowly drain the batteries. This doesn't appear to be the case, so my original diagrams of the precharge circuit are now more simple.

The CA is a Cycle Analyst. It is a shunt resistor which enables accurate currents to be read from the battery as charge is drawn from it. It is powered by the battery pack voltage - up to 117 volts. I wired the CA to be separately activated because I wanted to be able to watch the current going in while charging. It also meant the bike did not need to be "live" while charging (that is, through the main contactor). That is why I have a relay on the cycle analyst and battery management system circuit.

Please find the following, more recent circuit diagram:

Cheers,
CHRIS

PS Relays are fine. I don't need fast switching in these applications.

evric
Site Admin

Post by evric » Fri, 25 Nov 2011, 18:37

I can't find any pre-charge resistor/cctry.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 26 Nov 2011, 01:32

Sorry for the confusion - That's cause there isn't any precharge circuit any more. Well, there is, but it's not very complicated. The precharge resister is permanently across the high voltage lugs of the main contactor (the red rectangle with a black circle [thanks MS Paint]). It seems to not do anything to the pack long term, so I just eired it as per the Kelly diagram.

Oh, no diodes either.

Nevilleh

Post by Nevilleh » Sat, 26 Nov 2011, 12:33

Long as you are aware that high voltage is still present on the controller via the precharge resistor even when the main contactor is open, so if you put your finger on it you'll get a nasty bite!

Polmage
Noobie

Post by Polmage » Wed, 30 Nov 2011, 11:04

Hey, thanks for the fast reply.

Some days ago, I asked the Kelly support if it is possible to get an rpm signal by CAN-Bus output. What they answered was:
"You will find the command list for CAN bus in the bottom of the manual.

Yes,you can read the RPM direclty.You only need to configure the poles of the motor in GUI first."

Does someone know how this will work, or how he meaned that?
Sounded like you can read the rotor position somehow in an diagramm 0.o.

My electric-drives prof couldn't tell me, how the poles are in connection with rpm at a DC-motor. He just said we could calculate it (not pretty accurate) with kt,ke,I,n(?)....
But I just now remembered, that kt had to be multiplicated with "e". Is it possible to get "e" replaced with "I"?

Greetings,

Martin
Last edited by Polmage on Wed, 30 Nov 2011, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

woody

Post by woody » Wed, 30 Nov 2011, 14:31

The controller could figure it out by sampling the the output current or voltage waveform.

You can figure out the number of poles with guess and check - you just need an external tacho, which could be as simple as a mark on the output shaft and a 50 Hz bulb. (50 Hz = 3000 rpm).

i.e. put in 20 poles, spin it up to 3000rpm and see what the CAN messages say, e.g. it says 2000rpm, then the number of poles is 30.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Thu, 08 Dec 2011, 22:00

On the subject of precharge circuits:

TTXGP has recently updated their technical rules section, and the requirement for the battery to be able to be completely isolated from the controller has been emphasised. This means my system of the resistor permanently wired to the contactor is no good. So I found this little circuit that might help:
http://www.circuitdb.com/circuits/id/92

It gives about 7 seconds before the relay is able to switch on, which should be enough to charge up the caps in the controller without welding the terminals of my DPDT relay. Will have to try it soon.

Cheers,
CHRIS

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 26 Dec 2011, 00:34

Just an update on the precharge ideas, I borrowed a 555 circuit that delays activation of a NC relay by about 7 seconds. This is perfect for delaying the precharge! I have made the delay bit and it works great. Now I need to come up with a controller precharge - discharge circuit. I figure putting a big lump of power resistors in parallel should do the job - all it has to do is 95% charge the controller caps within 6 seconds. Then when I turn the key to off if actually shorts the B+ and B- of the controller via the resistors, bringing them back down to 0 V.

woody

Post by woody » Tue, 27 Dec 2011, 02:55

A well thought out pre charge / pos discharge circuit presented at Sydney AEVA earlier in the year. Might be something you like...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 27 Dec 2011, 19:31

Thanks for the read, Woody. Looks like essentially the same circuit I've drawn, and using the same relay. The ratings are a concern, but really, I don't have room for an additional honking great contactor like an EV200. Anyway, once the racing is done I'll go back to the original precharge setup.

Polmage
Noobie

Post by Polmage » Sat, 03 Mar 2012, 07:15

Hey,
contacted today again Fany from kellycontrollers. After all, it seems getting the rpm by the KDH12601E (brushed DC Controller) isn't possible.
Fany confounded the KDH12601 with a brushless controller and sent me wrong informations....
Great, to find out this, after we already bought it because of that feature, the really possible CAN-bus infos aren't pretty usefull.