AC Jellybean Dream

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
ac_jellybean
Noobie

AC Jellybean Dream

Post by ac_jellybean » Fri, 29 May 2009, 05:52

Greetings all.

This is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me for a while.

I've read a lot of excellent and thought provoking posts so far. Hopefully I'll be able to benefit from your accumulated wisdom and the dream will become a reality.

The dream...

What I'd like is a little electric conversion that will do something over 100 km/h (to keep up with the freeway traffic, if it happens to be flowing), will cruise happily at 80 and will have a range of 60+km.

What I've got ...
is a 1991 Mazda 121 - the jellybean shaped one. The 1.3l ICE is supposed to make 104Nm @ 3700rpm and 54kw @ 6000rpm, 5 speed manual.

I'm leaning towards AC - I like the idea of regen and less brake dust. The possibilities are something like an Azure AC24LS or an industrial motor (11kw or even 7.5?). I think I'll need about 10kwh of Lithium battery pack to get the range I want.

Choices, choices ...

coulomb
Site Admin

AC Jellybean Dream

Post by coulomb » Fri, 29 May 2009, 06:21

See if you have 447 mm (plus a few tens of mm) from the engine/transmission interface to the left end of the engine bay (at the bottom where the motor would go). If so, you might be able to fit an AC55 in there.

I know it's way overkill, and they are heavy, but they happen to be going cheap at the moment. Just limit the motor amps to prevent the motor from ripping the gearbox apart. Or go without a gearbox; it has plenty of torque. Maybe we can share shipping to the port of Brisbane; I'm thinking of one for White Suzi. We could share settings, etc.

Your motor's specs are just a shade higher than mine (101 Nm @ 3500 RPM, 50 kW @ 6000 RPM). Weight and room for batteries would be similar.

To get about 10 kWh of Lithium, you'll need about 30 Ah cells to make 320 V. If they work out, China HiPower high discharge rate cells would be about right, say 104 or 105 of them for 333-336 V total.

Alternatively, some packaged cylindrical high discharge rate cells might work.

You might also like to consider Goombi's sepex DC controllers with regen with one of the larger motors (for the 100 km/h requirement). I'd want more than 350 A, but it might be enough for you. Then 120 V x 90 Ah gives you 10 KWh.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, PIP-4048MS inverter, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

ac_jellybean
Noobie

AC Jellybean Dream

Post by ac_jellybean » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 15:53

Thanks for your thoughts.

An AC55 should fit - there's about 480mm from the end of the transmission. The engine bay of your White Suzi would be about the same. Interesting that you're thinking of an AC55 there.

The AC55 is quite a bit heavier for about 25% more power (over AC24LS) but heaps more torque. That would work pretty well in 4th/direct drive - 60km/h at 2500rpm and 100km/h at around 4000.   100km/h would be nice (the dream) but not essential.
An AC24LS driving second gear would give 60 at about 5000rpm and 100 at about 8000.
Still if you're serious about the 55 maybe we should think about sharing shipping and settings.

Have you come to any good conclusions re Lithium batteries? (I haven't looked at all the forums yet, although did read through a bit of your progress on the MX-5.) Are the China HiPower your pick at the moment?

Hopefully the workshop manual for the 121 will turn up this week and I'll have some more exact info on the car I've got.

coulomb
Site Admin

AC Jellybean Dream

Post by coulomb » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 16:32

ac_jellybean wrote: Have you come to any good conclusions re Lithium batteries?
The conclusion is that Thunder Sky lithiums are just barely OK for the MX-5 (probably fine for Barina class), but 20% more continuous discharge and/or lower internal resistance would be better. Sky energy claim to be just about that. We're part of the group buy of Sky Energy cells, but are buying them sight unseen. We intend to test them and publish the results.
Are the China HiPower your pick at the moment?
No, we haven't got a test cell yet, even though it's overdue. My contact, Alex, is trying to get a cell hand made for the test. China HiPowers could be similar to Sky Energy in outperforming the Thunder Skys, but we'll have to wait and see.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, PIP-4048MS inverter, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.