Luke's 2001 NB MX-5

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
necrogt4
Groupie

Re: Luke's 2001 NB MX-5

Post by necrogt4 »

I've learned plenty of automotive skills by modifying cars starting with bolt ons then engine swaps followed by more and more adventurous projects. I'm a software engineer by trade so the engineering side comes fairly easily but in all honesty if you break projects down to their smallest parts it's all pretty simple. And there's plenty of great information + parts online.

A lot of my project is off the shelf parts (motor, gearbox adaptor, motor mounts etc). If done again I'd have these fabricated from my own designs. Though for batteries you're going to have to assemble something as there's nothing off the shelf. Things like Leaf, Model S or even i-Pace batteries do most of the hard work for you there. The trick here is the more you do yourself the lighter and more powerful you can go with your space (I've managed a 33kwh battery for instance).

That's a shame about the Zero-EV MX5, it's still listed on their site though? It would have been a great starting point, though I think they cut a few corners that left the end product a little on the heavy side and not as well balanced as it could be. That said, it looked to be a drop in kit using all of the original mounting points so you can only do so much there.

I'm not sure about building another MX5, I've got an E87 BMW to build after this. Though I'm more than happy to share parts suppliers, lessons learned and technical drawings! Feel free to PM me.
OzSpider
Groupie

Post by OzSpider »

Luke, While you are answering questions about the build, who did your source the Al flywheel and clutch upgrade through? Was the flywheel custom made for the hyper9?
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

The flywheel is a forged aluminium flywheel made by Fidanza who are US based. I purchased through Fab9Tuning (https://fab9tuning.com/fidanza-forged-a ... -flywheel/) and comes in at 4.1kg. The beauty is this is just an off the shelf item and the ring gear can be removed to save that little bit of extra weight.

The clutch is a cushion button Exedy unit that I purchased through a local clutch/brake supplier.

Depending on how often I have to change gears I _may_ opt for a direct (clutchless) coupler between the motor and gearbox which will save ~10kg of rotating mass. But I won't know until I get the car moving.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I've been slacking a bit with updates, again... Though things have been progressing smoothly.

A few weeks back I started fabricating some 25mm3 alloy blocks that need to be welded to my chill plates that help the sides act as clamps to keep the batteries under pressure. They can be seen in this render:
Box Render.jpg
Box Render.jpg (188.36 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
Unfortunately the aluminium supply shop I use couldn't cut the 25mm x 25mm bar at 25mm so I had to do this myself. I ended up making about 30 of these and after cutting they really need some work to get them looking right. From this:
Cutting.jpeg
Cutting.jpeg (873.04 KiB) Viewed 7628 times

Then to this after much filing:
Filed.jpeg
Filed.jpeg (629.68 KiB) Viewed 7628 times

The drilled and finally tapped:
Tapping.jpeg
Tapping.jpeg (908.79 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
Tapped.jpeg
Tapped.jpeg (965.5 KiB) Viewed 7628 times
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

You need to spray WD40 on the saw and don't cut too fast.
If you cut too fast the tooth fills up and can not take more material. This cause the material in the tooth to rub and stick.
The WD40 will also help to keep the cut material from sticking to the saw.
If you do it right the cut will look very nice and won't need any extra work.
Also get the saw with the smallest teeth you can get.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

The disc I've currently got is a grinding style cutter. But from what I'm told that's not really the best for aluminium. I'll grab a toothed saw next time I go to the toy store.

Nice tip on the WD-40 though. I don't think that'd work on a grinding style disc though?!
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

A cutting disk will not cut aluminium properly. You need a saw.
This is the finish you can get with a carbide tipped saw from Bunnings (already a bit blunt) and WD40.
Al cut with WD40.
Al cut with WD40.
20210927_094036.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7610 times
You want to get as small teeth as possible.
Teeth size.
Teeth size.
16326997791254342339055109892904.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7610 times
This saw can not cut steel.
It will be good for copper and aluminum plastic wood and soft stuff.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

Well, another lesson in the right tools for the job. If only I knew that beforehand :lol:

Those cuts look way better!
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

They will look even better with a new saw.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

Speaking of looking better. I got a chance recently to make an attempt at fabricating my battery cell heat sinks out of 1.6mm aluminium. The sheets were water jet cut again and this time I asked for the finest cut and to have them run through the linisher to remove the burrs so I didn't have to file them myself.

This is what I received :o
Burred Sheets.jpeg
Burred Sheets.jpeg (595.74 KiB) Viewed 7588 times

They were worse than the first batch. Suffice to say I wasn't happy and it's unlikely I'll use the waterjet again. But with lockdown and the lead time to have them cut yet again I decided to just get on with it and worked them down to nice rounded edges and smooth faces. Very time consuming but they came up great.
Filed Sheets.jpeg
Filed Sheets.jpeg (623.18 KiB) Viewed 7588 times

Last time I folded these sheets I marked fold lines on each sheet and tried to line them up for each and every fold. This lead to inconsistent results so I clamped a stopper on the folding tool to ensure the sheets folded at the same point each time. The problem was, the damn sheet kept moving but it did at least lead to better results.
First Heatsink 1.jpeg
First Heatsink 1.jpeg (793.61 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
First Heatsink 2.jpeg
First Heatsink 2.jpeg (724.31 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I didn't want to have to realign my stopper sheet in the folding tool every other sheet so I decided to get serious and make a jig. I'm rather glad I've invested in some decent tools for this project, it makes this kind of thing much easier.
Jig Fabrication 1.jpeg
Jig Fabrication 1.jpeg (789.15 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
And back on the workbench with a stopper that's not going to move at all...
Jig Fabrication 2.jpeg
Jig Fabrication 2.jpeg (892.81 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
Jig Bend 1.jpeg
Jig Bend 1.jpeg (868.52 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
Jig Bend 2.jpeg
Jig Bend 2.jpeg (747.33 KiB) Viewed 7588 times

This time around the heatsinks came out near on identical to one another. It's not quite machine quality but for a garage job I'm pretty happy with the result.
Heatsinks 1.jpeg
Heatsinks 1.jpeg (554.71 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
Heatsinks 2.jpeg
Heatsinks 2.jpeg (677.5 KiB) Viewed 7588 times

Now it's time to tape, glue and clamp cells into these damn things and get some working battery boxes.
francisco.shi

Post by francisco.shi »

Why didn't you get the sheets cut on a guillotine?
That would have been quicker and cheaper than the water jet and would have given a very nice edge.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I had my first run of 3mm copper busbars guillotine cut but the edges we're deformed a bit (partially bent and torn) and to be honest I didn't think of using a guillotine for these. Given their softness (grade 5005) and thickness they probably would have come out a lot better.

TL;DR, inexperience is the reason :D
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

So I attempted another battery pack using the new folding jig and a slightly different technique with the thermal paste. Instead of beading the paste into the top and bottom corner of the heatsink and sliding one edge of the cell in after the other which caused some of the paste to get between the cells I instead decided to tape the cells together and apply the paste to the sides.
Thermal Paste.jpeg
Thermal Paste.jpeg (1013.65 KiB) Viewed 7551 times

Once applied I then slid the heatsink over the top which pushes any excess paste out of the cell. It's a wee bit messy and I need to work out the right amount of paste to use but it's much easier and effective than beading.
Heat Sink.jpeg
Heat Sink.jpeg (843.76 KiB) Viewed 7551 times

A bit of side compression followed by placing 100kg of weight on top and I left it to dry overnight.
Compression.jpeg
Compression.jpeg (673.75 KiB) Viewed 7551 times
Finished Cell.jpeg
Finished Cell.jpeg (659.87 KiB) Viewed 7551 times

So findings from this method was overall it's way easier, cleaner and quicker. I do need to let the paste thicken little first before applying it so it doesn't run down the sides on it's own though.

I unfortunately also discovered an issue with the final cell though. It was only ~0.5mm thinner than the first batch (but far more consistent due to no paste between cells) at around 49mm which is still 1mm too much. If you take a look at the finished cell you can see there is a gap between the side/base of the bottom cell and the heat sink.

The folding tool is stretching the sides of the heat sink when they're folded and adding ~1.5mm to the overall width which throws everything out. Again, this puts me back to the drawing board and I'm not sure I'll be able to use this cell pack unless I can fill that gap somehow. I most certainly don't want any hot spots.

I've finally caved on this and am having heatsinks laser cut and precision folded at a sheet metal workshop with very exact post fabrication measurement specifications.After getting a quote it's actually only about $50 more than the water jet cutting (which was pretty cheap already). I pick these up tomorrow and will tape and prepare yet another pack. Third time lucky!
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

A little progress update.

I got my chill plates back from the engineer who welded on all of the blocks I fabricated.
Blocks.jpeg
Blocks.jpeg (856.19 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

Now that they're welded on I can finally begin assembly of the battery boxes. First up is sealing up the channels on the underside of the chill plate with 3mm thick nitrile cork gaskets held in place with 5mm thick polypropylene using 16mm zinc plated torx head screws. I chose not to use an alloy cover for two reasons, weight and soak. As one box will sit above the motor and the other two will be further back in the car exposed to tarmac heat I thought this solved two problems in one.
Gasket.jpeg
Gasket.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 7410 times
Lid.jpeg
Lid.jpeg (666.55 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

And finally the delrin end plates (that act as clamps) can be properly attached. I still need to get the m10 stainless torx screws nickle plated to avoid galvanic corrosion with the aluminium chill plate but I'll do that after assembly when I send off all of the copper busbars and conduits to also be tin plated (once I've fabricated all the tricky connections between the cells and other components in the boxes).
End Plate.jpeg
End Plate.jpeg (578.7 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I also got back my laser cut and machine folded heatsinks a couple of weeks ago, the accuracy difference between the home made and machine made ones are pretty noticeable (handmade right, machine made left).
Heat Sink 1.jpeg
Heat Sink 1.jpeg (631.9 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Heat Sink 2.jpeg
Heat Sink 2.jpeg (622.87 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
They're rather time consuming at:
  • 20 minutes filing edges round and sanding off minor scratches so as not to puncture the cells.
  • 20 minutes to tape with polyimide (unbranded Kapton) tape.
  • 50 minutes to tape together, glue, insert into heatsink, clean excess glue and compress overnight.
But I've got the process down to an art now and the results are super consistent. Here are some size comparisons between the original method (2mm heatsink) and the new (1.6mm heatsink). The original packs (of which I made 6) vary in height 126mm - 129mm and thickness 48.5mm - 49.3mm. The max thickness in my design and boxes is 48mm for each pack, the height was 132 but the top bracket position can be adjusted to suit.
Original Side.jpeg
Original Side.jpeg (898.76 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Original Top.jpeg
Original Top.jpeg (817.11 KiB) Viewed 7407 times

Compared to thickness 47.7-48.3mm and height 124.5mm:
New Side.jpeg
New Side.jpeg (880.27 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
New Top.jpeg
New Top.jpeg (758.29 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

And here's all of the completed packs so far, 19 with one setting. Good for at least 21kWh. 12 more to go!

The original packs can be seen on the two right most stacks, hence they're slightly higher whereas the first three stacks are nearly identical in height.
Complete Battery Packs 1.jpeg
Complete Battery Packs 1.jpeg (702.38 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Complete Battery Packs 2.jpeg
Complete Battery Packs 2.jpeg (754.95 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I've now assembled 31 battery cell packs in total. With 2 more to go with the cells I have left and then I'll have to try and disassemble the first 7 packs that I made as their dimensions don't work with the third and current attempt at cell packs.

These packs as seen above are super consistent in size and after preparing the surface of my largest chill plate I trial fit them. I was able to fully tighten sides/clamps by hand which was a bit relief as the first set of packs would never have fit horizontally (they were too thick and inconsistent).
Trail Fit New Cells.jpeg
Trail Fit New Cells.jpeg (939.79 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

After fitting these I began putting packs into groups of 4 and glueing them using the same thermal epoxy I hold the cells in place with. I added an extra layer of polyimide as a bit of cheap insurance. If I ever need to replace a pack all I need to do is remove the layer of tape on each pack that is glued to the other pack. And the benefit of glueing all of the packs together is that they then form a structural bond to the end plates which are held in with 10 M10 screws. The packs will easily survive 20g of force.
Glueing Cell Packs.jpeg
Glueing Cell Packs.jpeg (818.58 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

After glueing 12 cell packs into 4 groups (I'll do the final glueing together and to the end plates once I've got everything fit properly) I quickly placed them into the box and clamped them together with a 1.mm aluminium sheet at the end (to make space for the final L shape heat sink on the exposed top cell in the end pack). With the added epoxy and extra 1.mm sheet there was a bit of a bulge in the end plate. Not entirely unexpected but it did create a time sensitive issue...
Box Buldge.jpeg
Box Buldge.jpeg (427.96 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

A little bit of garage ingenuity fixed this problem though. I sat the box on top of two 20kg bumper plates and got out one of my serious clamps.
Box Bulge Clamp.jpeg
Box Bulge Clamp.jpeg (843.63 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

After compressing the bulge in ~1-2mm for a couple of minutes I released the clump so I could get the center screw in and noticed that the end plate sat perfectly on it's own, no clamp, no screw. The screw went in by hand without any resistance. Awesome!
Box Bulge Gone.jpeg
Box Bulge Gone.jpeg (530.54 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

After getting the cell packs to fit I removed them, again, to fit the PCB's that serve as the mounting points for the meaty busbars (3mm x 45mm = 135mm2 good for ~500A continuous). Keeping the packs in groups of 4 makes them pretty easy to work with at ~16kg each.

A trial fit of the busbars to one of my packs.
PCD Assembly 1.jpeg
PCD Assembly 1.jpeg (678.58 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
PCD Assembly 2.jpeg
PCD Assembly 2.jpeg (833.07 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

And all of the packs back into the box, again, for some more fit testing.
Battery Packs with PCBs.jpeg
Battery Packs with PCBs.jpeg (764.85 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
Busbar Contact 1.jpeg
Busbar Contact 1.jpeg (528.25 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
Busbar Contact 2.jpeg
Busbar Contact 2.jpeg (542.69 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

The end busbar links don't quite fit and contact the top clamp rod. These busbars will need to be bent around the rod and a layer of polyimide wouldn't go astray either. Now I need to have a bit of a think on how I'll get a nice curve bent into these. 🤔
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

The proximity of those busbars to the aluminium gives me the heebijeebies...
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 25 Oct 2021, 09:08 The proximity of those busbars to the aluminium gives me the heebijeebies...
Haha, they're going to be bolted together by way of a acetal block so there won't be any way for them to come into contact with one another. I'll also give both the top of the busbar and the aluminium angle a nice wrap of polyimide to ensure no fun sparks when assembling a fully connected battery. There was only that single busbar fitted in this photo.

I gave a spare busbar a bend test in a vice and it's pliant enough to bend by hand. So getting those ends to bend around the black covered rod should be trivial too.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I picked up my battery box mounts this week from a laser cutting fabrication shop. They're a custom design using 2.5mm mild steel sheet with 10mm rivnuts pressed into them. There are right and left side versions of each and they're about 15cm long. I'll have to cut them to size for each position but the same basic design will be used throughout.
Mounts and Box.jpeg
Mounts and Box.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7162 times

These face up in the engine bay as the battery box will be lowered down onto them. But for the rear two battery boxes they will both be loaded from underneath so the mounts will face down instead.
Front Mounts (No Chill Plate).png
Front Mounts (No Chill Plate).png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7162 times
Front Mounts (Translucent Chill Plate).png
Front Mounts (Translucent Chill Plate).png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 7162 times

And in the rear.
Rear Mounts.png
Rear Mounts.png (256.44 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

So I could have gone very basic and cheap with these mounts. Originally I considered using 2.5mm or 3mm square tube cut to size with bolts and nuts. But as with all decisions with this build, weight must be taken into account.

I then considered taking some of the material out of the square tube (bottom and perhaps an angle cut on the end). This would have turned into more work or if I was to get someone else to do this manually it would have been pretty expensive.

So after running through some stress simulations at 200g (yes, 200g not 20g as per NCOP14) I sent over my design the laser cutter and at a tad under $20 per mount including powder coating it was a "pretty" and easy choice. The final design is ~120g per mount vs 300g+ for square tube and at about 85% of the strength of square tube.

Here are the details of the simulations I ran. First up 3.0mm square tube:
Mount 3.0 Square Tube Stress Top.png
Mount 3.0 Square Tube Stress Top.png (258.55 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Mount 3.0 Square Tube Stress Side.png
Mount 3.0 Square Tube Stress Side.png (223.79 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

And then the open mount design at 3.0mm:
Mount 3.0 Stress Top.png
Mount 3.0 Stress Top.png (240.03 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Mount 3.0 Stress Side.png
Mount 3.0 Stress Side.png (145.52 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Now using 2.5mm and a gusset inside the mount:
Mount 2.5 Gusset Stress Top.png
Mount 2.5 Gusset Stress Top.png (248.88 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Mount 2.5 Gusset Stress Side.png
Mount 2.5 Gusset Stress Side.png (164.25 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

And finally 2.5mm with no gusset.
Mount 2.5 Stress Top.png
Mount 2.5 Stress Top.png (264.13 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Mount 2.5 Stress Side.png
Mount 2.5 Stress Side.png (163.41 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Now that the mounts are sorted I need to learn how to weld them in. Actually I'm practising this weekend making a jig to put a nice half circle kink into the end busbars to clear the top rod. I should have some photos of the jig which is just 20mm round bar, sheet metal and some angle in a clamp. Suuuper simple but perfect for the application.
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I dropped off all of my busbars and a bunch of stainless steel screws to be plated today.. And I thought I'd better update how I went with getting a nice bend in the end busbars around the clamping rods.

I spent a couple of hours watching YouTube tutorials and practising with my mig welder. Let's just say I've got plenty of practise to go but it was easy enough to make a jig, iterate on the design and actually get a decent kink bent into the busbar.

To start off with I used some 20mm round steel bar and some 6mm plate and marked up where things would sit for the convex side of the jig. I then cut up some pieces of 10mm plate to sit either side of the bar to essentially turn it into a semi-circle and give the busbar something to bend back to straight on.
Scrap Jig.jpeg
Scrap Jig.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 7069 times

On the opposite side I used some equal angle steel (which bent open more than 90° after a couple of tests and required a little fixing with some 45° cut square). All put together the jig looks like this from the side.
Test 1.jpeg
Test 1.jpeg (526.19 KiB) Viewed 7069 times

The kink ended up being a bit too big so I used some scrap busbar material and raised the plates a further 6mm. Good ol' bear tape holding those plates in place, real professional! The kink however was pretty good.
Test 2.jpeg
Test 2.jpeg (682.62 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Test 2 Result.jpeg
Test 2 Result.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7069 times

After some further fiddling I bent my first actual busbar the wrong way and had to hammer it back flat with some nice heavy steel plating. But after a little (um, a lot) of swearing things were back on track and I'm really happy with the results!
Final Result 1.jpeg
Final Result 1.jpeg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7069 times
Final Result 2.jpeg
Final Result 2.jpeg (576.53 KiB) Viewed 7069 times